Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,659 Reviews
Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

1. abyssmal

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

wages and bonus nothing else at all

Cons

everything. never worked with a bigger bunch of fickle, backstabbing people in all my life.

Advice to Management

they don't take advice unless its from one of their favourites

2. Work was alright

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Cincinnati, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Cincinnati, MO

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Pay was the best part

Cons

Work was the worst part

Advice to Management

GFYS

3. company is very demanding and try to achive work with minimum number of employees and try to bully staff into doing.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good salary and long term employment.

Cons

bullying managers , no proper PPE for workers ,with more than 6 to 7 forklifts operating on the floor staff is not encouraged to wear safety boots .forklift drivers are not trained by accredited trainers , threat of suspension and dissmissals for minor mistakes ,no training provided.

Advice to Management

get proper mamagement staff who know how to treat staff with respect.

Great Benefits and Pay, Poor poor management and opportunities to grow within.

Current Employee - Stocker in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Stocker in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Fast-paced environment, opportunities to help a number of different departments, like a free health club membership at times.

Cons

Don't honor their employee discrimination rules, I stuck up for an employee who was being harassed by another employee and found myself facing the ramifications of management. Can be pigeon holed.

Advice to Management

Do the right and moral things sometimes? Some were great, don't get me wrong, never had a bad review.

6. Disappointed With Unprofessional Staff

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

So far I haven't met any yet. Although I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt that not everyone there will treat me the same way as I was treated today. I've heard good things about Costco as a workplace but it wasn't exemplified today by a management or HR type employee.

Cons

I've never been employed or interviewed at Costco but just hear me out.... I spent an hour working on my resume and then another 30 minutes working on the application for Costco in Arvada, CO. I was told by a cashier that I should apply and that they may be hiring. She told me that after applying I should call and talk to someone about my application so that's what I did. When I called a woman answered and I told her I applied and she said to hang on and she put me on hold... OR SO SHE THOUGHT. I'm still on the phone listening to her talk to her coworker about something else that they were in the middle of. It sounded work related and since my call probably interrupted them, I was understanding. Then there was a lot of moving around like she was carrying the phone around or something I don't really know but after that she started mentioning how someone on the phone was asking if they're hiring and that some cashier told me to call after applying and "are we hiring or not?". Now before you call me a sensitive sally.... it was how she was saying it. VERY RUDELY as if I was a huge inconvenience to them and that it was dumb of the cashier to have told me that. It was all huff and puffy like "ugghh what a drag this person wants to apply here" and then when she answered the phone she said they weren't currently hiring and so I asked if I could leave my name and number for if anything opens up and she said no that they weren't hiring. I said thank you and she said goodbye and hung up. I just think that this whole finding jobs on the internet thing is hard enough and I spend so much time and energy practically working a part time job to call and get some snotty attitude like I'm not worth their time. This is not the first time I've seen or been on the receiving end of this kind of attitude and I'm sick of it. So to all the managers or whoever takes those calls... please try to think about how hard that person probably worked and how nervous they probably are to call and ask if you have something that would mean a lot to them. You've been there once too and if you haven't.... well then I'm sorry you don't know how to be polite to people.

Advice to Management

Please enforce to yourself and your fellow coworkers that it is not ok to act like your in high school. When a person comes in or calls to apply and you act like their a huge inconvenience or even a slight inconvenience and you show that behavior in front of your employees, it encourages everyone to act the same way and that's not cool. If you're too busy to take the time to talk to the person then just politely ask them to call back or come in at a different time when you can have more time to spend with them. Don't be impolite and don't teach your coworkers that it's ok to be impolite.

7. Beware!!!!!

Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Better come prepared to work hard!

Cons

I was hired on as a greeter/ cart puller. Went through orientation for that specific job. Then at the very end of the orientation they switch me to bakery wrapper. So they set me up for training with this guy who complained the whole time and didn't really know how to do his job correctly. Then on top of that the training was during one of the busiest weekends of the year. Therefore I had to learn quickly and on my own. Coworkers were rude and backstabbing waiting for you to slip up so they can tell on you. I told the supervisor I go to college fulltime and even though I was hired on part time 24 hours. they still had me working 39 hours a week. The turnover back there was crazy. Workers wouldn't last a week because of management. 90% of the time I was cleaning the bakery and 10% was wrapping. Worst job experience I've ever had by far!

A lot of Ego's in one place, but surprisingly most of them get along

Current Employee - Float in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Float in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free membership. EMPLOYEE PARTIES. THATS PRETTY MUCH IT.

Cons

There were some HORRIBLE managers: racist, manipulative, narcissistic, and downright rude and unethical. No matter how many complaints were brought to the attention of upper management, they did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Advice to Management

Some people are just NOT meant to be in leadership roles, especially a person like this! When your most valuable employees are leaving at the end of each day crying, perhaps you should consider the source. I get it, we're all busy, we all have a lot to do, but as a manager YOU GUYS signed up for this! Do the right thing!

Cult like atmosphere

Former Employee - Order Checker in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Order Checker in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wages promised in future. Start out low wages and terrible hours then if you stick around for the brass ring at least 2 years you may eventually be rewarded

Cons

Terrible management and training. Too many favorites played. Need to follow management directives exactly and bow down or you will never get promoted. Some of the work is totally demeaning like playing pseudo security guard.

Advice to Management

Good luck

Horrible

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

None really no discount Un commissioned sales no benefits

Cons

High pay seems to justify mistreatment of employees

Advice to Management

Get over the were paying you more attitude

Treats like warehouse commodities that we are stacked on top of another person.

Former Employee - Software in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Software in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

no strict deadline for project completion

Cons

No deli, No space to turn around in our chair as they pack the next person right next to our armpit! Racism is at its best here. No humility.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect. They won't sit and work without eating. Set up good deli , parking space , space to work and sit at least !!