Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.8

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Eh.

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay, fellow assistants for the most part are very friendly and helpful, all cashiers have done front end work and they completely know what you're going through so most of them will give you advice or help you more than they have to, free membership

Cons

Only four hours of training, a lot of learning on the job so you never know if you're doing things the right way until the employee review, extremely fast work environment and lifting those bulk items for four hours is not easy! Some managers and cashiers seemed to have forgotten how physically demanding the job is and will berate you or glare at you in front of customers.

Remember what it was like working the least respected job in the warehouse. Everyone has been through it and management needs to respect assistants more. Give more training to new employees. Four hours is not enough to learn everything there needs to work efficiently. For example, teach new assistants how to repack a basket. It is overwhelming and teaching assistants how instead of expecting them to learn instantly will make things easier.

intresting , diverse,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

variety is the spice of life

Cons

i have no opinion to give

remember the associates

Great place to work if you are in college

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Really great pay compared to other retail outlets. Guaranteed 25 hours a week at the store I worked at. Very easy going vacation policy. They understand working students have exams to study for so it is easy to schedule a week off for finals.

Cons

Sometimes hours can be erratic. You might be scheduled a split shift one day or only scheduled 4 hours closing shift the next. When you start, you will end up getting closing shifts.

Have more opportunities for advancement for students. Give hires that have been with the company 1 or so years the opportunity to lead a small team of seasonal employees to give them leadership experience. It would also cut down on training.

Awesome

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Good pay, good people, great benefits, good promotability

Cons

Takes a lot longer to top out with new employee agreements

Entry-level job, great pay for those who go to school

Current Employee - Food Service Assistant in Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Assistant in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

-Pays well
    -Interaction with many customers
    -Great Benefits
    -Flexible Hours
    -Coworkers are easy to work with
    -Work around your school schedule

Cons

-Always rushing
    -Lots of "janitor type work"
    -Food service can be more stressful than Front end

I believe the management is doing an excellent job, however there have been some stragglers slowing down the whole process and they're cancerous to the whole store.

High starting pay, great co-workers, boring job.

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

I worked 40 hours a week for three summers and made a lot of money. My starting pay was 11.00/hr with a raise toward the end of my job period when I went back to school.

Cons

Redundant, boring job loading carts all day. I would hope all day to go work the gas station to cover a lunch or go do go-backs to get away from the boring front end.

Some managers are great communicators, many are not. Work as hard as your employees, if not harder to earn respect of the front end employees. If I am respected and know you're working as hard as me, I'll bend over backwards for you. Speak disrespectfully, and order me around? Good luck.

I enjoy working at Costco and working as a team.

Current Employee - Front End in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Front End in Everett, MA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

It is a great company to work for. Even as a part-time employee you will receive some benefits. The day goes by fast when it is busy.

Cons

You never know your schedule may be different from week to week.

I think the more you praise your employees for a job well done they will want to please you and work harder.

My employ at Costco was difficult and ultimately unsatisfactory

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

-Great Benefits (once unionized)
    -Good Pay
    -Friendly Coworkers
    -Good For College Students Scheduals

Cons

-Poor Management
    -Laborious Responsibilities
    -Poor Communication
    -75% Drop Rate In First 90 Days (as to get cheap labor)
    -Due To Union, Advancement Is Based On Seniority
    -Veteran Workers Slack Off And Blame You (Though You Are Required To Work Your Butt Off)

You are terrible at feedback. You are like vultures in how you watch for mistakes. You promote fear in the employee's rather than motivation. I would recommend you stop doing these things, or your employees will keep complaining and being slouchy, which will lead to your customers being the same.

Not rewarding at all

Current Employee - Door Clicker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Door Clicker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Easy to get in and stay, but advancement is slow. Company seems to prefer people that are not that educated or smart. The jobs offered are repetitious and mindless. People that think and have some formal education seem to be frowned upon. This may be a good job with someone with a high school education, but if you have some kind of college degree you will find this company mind numbing.

Cons

Low salary. Caliber of supervisors and managers is poor to mediocre

Overworked and underpaid.

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

They are really flexible with school schedules.

Cons

Management does not respect and value employees.

Treat your employees better.