Costco Wholesale Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

2,000 Employee Reviews

One of the very best companies to work for.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cranberry, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cranberry, PA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job growth opportunities, various career paths, great compensation, exciting, fun, fast-paced, friendly co-workers, enjoyed serving our members ensuring their experience was always the best. I highly recommend working for Costco from entry level through management positions. :) The best job I've ever had. Thank you Costco!

Cons

None! I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Costco the company, co-workers, or the members I served.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I really appreciated my time working for you. I worked 15 years from multiple locations from Colorado to Pennsylvania.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....

Cons

The uppermanagement It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with.

Advice to Management

breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.Show Less

3. Costco Cedar Park

Current Employee - Morning Merchandiser in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Morning Merchandiser in Austin, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Costco has great benefits and it's a welcoming work environment. I've learned so much from my managers and also from my coworkers. Team work, communication, and other customer service skills.

Cons

One of the down sides of working at Costco is that if you want to make it a career, it will take you some years to work your way up to be earning enough money to support yourself and a family. I'm full time and only supporting myself and I am still living paycheck to paycheck.

Advice to Management

Communication is so important. Especially between managers and also between managers and other employees. We need to think smarter, not harder.

5. A Great First Job!

Former Employee - Front End
    Former Employee - Front End

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good starting pay, cool people to work with, able to transition to different jobs

Cons

sometimes managers can be bad, lots of physical work, hard to get time off

6. Costco is an awesome place to work

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Pay benefits for part and full time also opportunity for advancement quickly to high paying positions of you work hard

Cons

None that I have noticed this far but it is retail so retail hours are not the best for a family at times

7. Great Company!

Pros

Great work place to work for

Cons

Having to push carts in the cold, rain and snow

Best company I've worked for

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Costco Wholesale (Less than a year)

Pros

I started a little over a month ago as a Cashier Assistant. They start you out at $11.50/hr and your raises are based on the amount of hours worked. within 5-6 years you can max out at $21.50/hr or so (i forget the exact amount) and this is assuming you don't promote to management. Management treats you very well and even own up to their own mistakes. I got forgotten once outside bringing in carts for 2 hours in 95 degree weather. I actually didn't mind this as I have worked in worse conditions so I didn't bother to go inside and say anything about it. Regardless once they realized i was still out there they called me and in immediately apologized very sincerely and sent me on my lunch break and informing me that i didn't have to stay out there longer than 20 minutes when it's above 90 degrees outside. Benefits start after 6 months so I don't have much experience with that but i hear it's really good. If you're part time it's a corporate policy that you don't get scheduled fewer than 24 hours/week. plus sundays you make 1 1/2 the normal rate of pay. (ex: if you normally make $10/hr you'll get 15/hr on a sunday)

Cons

Don't expect to start full time. they like to start you off with 5 hour shifts with a couple 1, maybe 2 8 hour shifts thrown in per week. However, from what I can tell, it's worth sticking it out until you can go full time. maybe find a 2nd job to fill in hours until this point. hours and the time of day you work are based heavily on seniority. Higher seniority gets the morning and daytime shifts. Just starting out, expect to work the afternoon/evening closing shift.

Advice to Management

Some coaching on the proper way to load boxes and carts with items would have been nice prior to jumping into the fray on my 1st day. It wasn't too hard to figure out on my own but some cashier's had to coach me on a few things. Other than that, well done!

9. Nice company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally friendly coworkers. Benefits for full-time employees are great. Free executive membership. Free turkey at the holidays. Operations generally work smoothly.

Cons

Dealing with members. Service job.

Advice to Management

Pretty good job.

10. Licensed optician

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in New York, NY

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping people see, fixing their glasses, working with people, being the best optician that I can be, helping people pick out the best glasses for their prescription

Cons

Sometimes I try to do to much at once I get overwhelmed and I take things personally

Advice to Management

Very good at multi tasking and always up to learn new task part of management

Costco

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selma, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selma, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Holidays, decent schedule

Cons

it's retail - keep all emotions and feelings to yourself.

Showing 2,000 of 2,041 reviews