Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.8

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Mostly a good place

Current Employee - Front End Assistant/Back Up Supervisor in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant/Back Up Supervisor in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Good Benefits, Variety of cross training opportunities, good people, very decent pay for the job

Cons

A lot of politics, depending on your store and department. Extremely strict policies regarding write-ups (also depending on store)- tardies, absences, failing to sign timecards, being more than 3 minutes late coming back from lunch...

Promotions based more on performance than internal politics.

"You will not be allowed a requested day off"

Current Employee - Stocker, and Cashier in Marlboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Stocker, and Cashier in Marlboro, NJ

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

The members for the most part are friendly.

Cons

Full availability for part time status means they can schedule an employee whenever they want. And revise the schedule 2 days prior to the start of the new work week. Managers expect you to be totally available for what they want you to work, but if you need a day off - forget it! If one request is granted, they "will not approve another request again."

In this economy you are employing a higher skilled and higher educated indvidual. Start taking the time to conduct developmental conversations with employees in hopes of building bench strength for future management positions. Stop taking advantage of the individual. RESPECT YOUR EMPLOYEES! Some of them have more experience to do the job you are in!
    Jim S. should invest in training for his managers, they would all benefit from Situational Leadership training, to help them manage to an individuals skill level.

good job that i enjoyed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

good job and you make a good salary

Cons

working long hours some of the time

try to give more feedback on how employees are doing

A great place to work, with great growth within the company.

Current Employee - Photo Lab Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Photo Lab Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Costco has some of the best benefits and competitive wages in retail to keep their most intelligent and hard working employees.

Cons

Costco is going in a direction where there are less employees, but more responsibilities for those employees. You'll see a lot of people wearing different hats working in different departments.

Management will always be the first to hear about negative feedback, but the it takes effort to award those with positive feedback. Also, watching a manager do the little things like push carts or clean food court tables goes a long way and sends a big message.

Excellent company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

cross training and positive employees

Cons

hard work, lots of schedule changes

Better comminuation with staff

Nice...but could be better with more full-time positions.

Current Employee - Deli Assistant in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Deli Assistant in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

The benefits with Costco are amazing! I do not know of many places that offer full time benefits to part time employees. There are also stock options and 401k options. The hours are good and the management does work with you if you have 2 jobs or school. I wouls say that this job is great for students, or people that wish to make some extra cash and have fun. There is possibility for growth if you pu your time and effort into it.

Cons

There are not many full time postions available due to the job being so well no one wants to really move up. The store that I am in rarley has full time postings due to Costco wanting to work people harder and cutting hours. So the people that have full time are stable do not wish tho give that up or move up since with overtime they can make almost as much as management. The part timers make less and with that you can have more part time postions available. This makes it hard to move up with Costco. Some people are with the company 4-5 years before they can reach full time status.

I believe that the management should lower the hours in between pay raises, if they want to part time people so much for little pay. 11.00 to start is great but when you only work 24 hours a week that the same as 30 hours on min wage. so for 8.74 at 40 hours a week is more that 24 hours for 11.00 an hour. I know there is room for growth but the full time positions are limited for each store. I love Costco and am trying to make it my career but I can't even pay my bills in the mean time. Is there a way to stop cutting hours when the company is actually profiting? I am a buisness major so I understand a lot more then most people ,I get it more bonuses more of this and that. I just believe you have to spend money to make money.

Great benefits but management works you ragged

Current Employee - Cashier in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

The benefits and pay are far above other retail stores. Time off is usually easy to get. If you want a job that pays well but are not looking for advancement, then it is a great place to be.

Cons

Promoting was done heavily the last 5 - 10 year and has since slowed almost to a halt. The typical vertical retail management heirarchy has led to a lot of bottle necking. Even though this company is thriving in a recession fewer stores are opening. As management positions open they are frequently filled by Californians who have worked for the company for 15+ years, little room for advancement within the stores in the rest of the country.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

great place to be working at

Cons

no cons at this amazing place

amazing company

its ok for now

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

easy job, get along with most, and i get good days off. benefits are good. i would consider management more i they got two days off in a row

Cons

customer service job so we have to work with the general public. the union we HAVE to work under is horrible and only keeps poor employees working.

look for people how can do and are knowledgeable at their jobs for people to promote, instead of people who can play the game best and say yes to everything.

Depends on how you look at it.

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay versus other retailers and wholesalers. Benefits also really good versus competitors.

Cons

It all depends on your warehouse manager. Its hard to move up and if you do move up it is because of personal relationships not truly ability. Whether or not you put forth the effort to get a degree doesn't matter. If you don't want to go to college, its good. If you get a degree to try to improve your abilities, you will sadly find thatr it means absolutely nothing.

While you do show that your employees are the greatest asset you have, look more at those who show promise and want to make the company better. I've seen too many people overlooked because someone else is more of a friend to management rather than the person being extremely able to competently perform their job.