Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,398 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you like retail. Pay and benefits are top notch for this industry.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Costco is a great company with great pay and benefits. They almost never lay anyone off and job security is very high. If you work hard you'll eventually make it to manager-level which makes 62K-100+.

Cons

There is lots of nepotism and promoting based on who people like more, instead of who is most qualified or would do the best job.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have a very flexible hours and can accommodate other activities outside of work life. The time off policies are fair, there are some restrictions such as inventory week. The leadership is there just need management to train the employees correctly, so that they are able to act accordingly to certain situations. The environment is fast pace at times, but will have an occasional slow day or week. The culture is friendly oriented meaning that coworkers are always happy to help each other out if possible. The benefits are awesome.

Cons

As like any retail jobs you have some good managers that know how to run the business, but some that don't have a clue of what to do. Promoting is unconventional meaning they promote from within but promote the wrong people sometimes.

Take more time to train the employees better.

Great company!

Current Employee - Food Court
    Current Employee - Food Court

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Starting pay is high, great benefits, free turkey at thanksgiving, raises

Cons

They expect maximum effort at all times. Not a company for lazy people

Food court needs more staffing! It's very easy to get behind. Just maybe one extra person for a mid shift so we can get caught up

Sky is the limit

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Salary, benefits, Heath ins, growth is beyond imagination

Cons

Won't have weekends off unless you've been there for a long time

A great place to work

I have been working at Costco Wholesale as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This place has great coworkers and I've made a lot of friends in a short time here. The work is fast and constant so you're never left bored out of you mind waiting for something to happen. The employees have a variety of backgrounds from music industry, cell phone sales, history museums, movie theater employees, paralegals, homeland security, just to name a few, yet all seem to meet together as equals and work well as a team. It's a great environment.

Cons

I've had trouble decoding the official dress code. The employee handbook is extremely vague about what is permitted, and I have learned that essentially, dress code is whatever the store management decides and can vary drastically from store to store. Professionalism is an opinion and not everyone shares the same opinion when it comes to what looks "professional" in a warehouse setting. Ask questions. Lots of questions.

Great with college students!

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The ability to work limited part time if you are a college student, even take a leave of absence and come back and have your same job when it comes to school related things as a college student.

Cons

Management is a very close knit group. Sometimes they don't understand there needs to be a balance between work and personal life.

Great Pay! Better Benefits

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Shelby Township, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is above national average for retail certified pharmacy technicians. Health, dental and 401k are best in retail industry. Flexible schedule for part timers. Ability to top out and receive semiannual bonuses quicker when a fulltime employee.

Cons

Little control with schedule as a full time employee. No PTO allowed from November 1st until the end of the holidays.

Promoting from can be a sound business practice but afford the opportunities to let employees demonstrate their potential as well. Too few promotions happen because of work ethic and are more based on what family member is already in a management position.

Excellent company to work foe

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Advancement, good salaries, great benefits

Cons

Only start off as part time. It takes an act of God to become full time.

Seasonal

Current Employee - Seasonal in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great job great pay love to schedule it changes every now and then but I do like working different shifts the best thing about the whole job is the friendly staff

Cons

I have no cons yet it's to soon.

Great Company and benefits! Was a great part-time job during college.

Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician/Clerk in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician/Clerk in Miami, FL

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Good Salary, Great company values and room to move up in the company. If you don't have a college degree or want a part-time while going to college to help pay for all the extra expenses, this is a perfect job.

Cons

At the local scale it varies, I worked in three stores. Sometimes seniority in the company did not matter. And some management showed preference to some employees. But that is the norm in retail.

Be a little more flexible to student employees.