Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,350 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

I love this company, will retire here.

Current Employee - Accountant in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, great co-workers and flexible schedule.

Cons

Nepotism prevalent in hiring practice.

Promote from within, train.. train... train.

Great benefits, little to no upward mobility

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Rochester, MN

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, high wages with little education.

Cons

No upward mobility. Favorite contest. Based on time put in not merit.

do not keep managers in manging roles if they clearly cannot handle it.

Good pay, great benefits but you do work your butt at it!

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Novato, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

time and half on sunday's

Cons

lots of physical duties 99% of the time!!

Good paying company

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

They pay well from the start. If you are able to move, you can move up within the company. They offer great benefits.

Cons

They expect to be your number 1 priority. There is often a lack of consideration for family life. Although they have an open door policy in which retaliation is discouraged... It really depends on the warehouse manager. I felt bullied by the warehouse manager and witnessed retaliation on his part towards other employees... and therefore chose not to utilize the open door policy. Depending on the warehouse, it can be like being back in high school... a lot of gossip.

Try to find a way for employees to communicate anonymously so that real issues can be made aware and dealt with without any chance of retaliation.

What an incredible experience!

Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great, managers were helpful and constructive, and there was a great teamwork ethic throughout. There was a great atmosphere and it seemed like the company really appreciated its employees, through potlucks and free food often.

Cons

Part-time 5 days a week in the middle of the night, with non-consecutive off days was a bit rough on one's sanity. Seemed like sometimes there wasn't enough staff to get work done.

Keep doin' what you're doin'!

Excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco is a great company to work for. their time off policy is absolutely wonderful and has a college student; it is extremely generous because you can decide not to work during school and still have a job to come back too in the summer. The health benefits is wonderful and they promote within first before they go look for outside help, which means you have a great chance of getting a promotion.

Cons

The Supervisors sometimes can act like a jerk like they run the place, which is funny because a good amount of the mangers doesn't act like that especially the warehouse manager. Depending on the department you work in, everything sometimes can seem like a monopoly; like if somebody didn't complete their job from the day before its going to be a rough start for you the next day because you have to pick up from where they left off from.

Be more hands on and listen to the little guys sometimes and watch the supervisors because they try to get away with everything and blame it on the associates, which is horrible. And when the department is backed up, you have to roll up your sleeves and get in there to help out which in turn would make the associates work hard so everything could get on track.

Bakery Clerk Job

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management and great place to work

Cons

Hours may not be what you need when have more responsibilities as an adult, however, as a student it works perfectly

Excellent for long term careers

Former Employee - Membership Clerk in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Membership Clerk in Riverside, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

job security, unlimited growth potential, family-like work environment

Cons

Sometimes you get bosses that have a big head and they seem very pretentious, but overall not a whole lot of cons

You always have other bosses above you, so unless you're the CEO, know your place

Probably the best in retail

Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, pay. If you want to have a career and work for it, Costco can provide it for you. If you do not want to go to College, you can start and be well on your way/making 50k plus a year by the time most graduate college. Good environment, takes great care of employees. Lots of opportunities to transfer and a continuously growing and successful company.

Cons

-Lots of managers, not enough leaders
    -Some managers are out of touch with members and employees
    -Seniority glass ceiling: people are promoted based mostly, but not all, on seniority and not by skill or merit. Not very efficient.
    -(My particular warehouse) constantly concerned with cutting hours yet almost always understaffed
    -Not a great place for someone with higher education. You're pretty much placed with everyone else no matter your prior experience or education, because you're expected to gain seniority.
    -Terrible training program. The best company I've worked for but by far the worst training program, practically non existent. Managers and supervisors have conflicting priorities and it just hurts the employee/member.

There has got to be a better training programs for each position. Corporate needs to establish a consistent, prioritized program that is ORGANIZED to make sure all employees (including sups/managers) are on the same page. There needs to be more synergy, It will make everyone's lives better and make individual warehouses far more effecient.

Provide your supervisors and managers with formal, annual leadership training.

Promote on experience/merit and potential first and then seniority.

Create a program for new hires with college educations (and/or previous experience in management positions) to help them fast track: learn more about how the warehouse works, gain experience in multiple area areas quickly and them move up more quickly (if the shoe fits I'm not implying that just because someone has a bachelor's they automatically deserve to start out as a supervisor or manager). Roughly 3-5 years to barely break into salary because of the seniority glass ceiling is ridiculous. Especially when these people could work for competitors in these positions off the bat. There are people, like myself, who are educated and with prior experience who want to work for this company because we truly love it and believe it's the best. People who can utilize their education and experience to help better this company to grow and be more successful and efficient. These people are the future of your company help them help you. Invest in them and seek them out. If we feel like we are just going to fall to the wayside with every one else we'll take our talents elsewhere because we can achieve more elsewhere in the time it would take to barely move up in Costco.

Great company to work for! It was a great job for a college student

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Tustin, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I truly love this company and their culture. I was a costco fan for a while prior to working here, and afterwards I have even more respect for the company. Costco truly knows how to take care of their employees and therefore it trickles down to the way their employees treat their members. They understand the idea that if the people who work for the company are happy, then the members are well taken care of. I also think this was the best choice I could have made for a part time college job. I had medical benefits and a 401k that they matched. At 19, I really didn't understand the importance of that, but looking back I really appreciate that. They also worked with my school schedule to make sure that it didn't conflict too much. Lastly, Costco hires really great people, and I have some of my closest friends that I met when I worked there during college.

Cons

The only con would be the crazy hours that I worked, however that was mainly due to the fact that I had class. For me it was hard to find a work-life balance because when I wasn't working I was in class and I always worked on the weekends. It was tough to get a weekend off.