Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,486 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Goods and bads

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Garentee of 25 hrs a week near impossible to be fired after 90 day probational period

Cons

Bias working environment managers pick favorites.

Don't group people together

Management is falling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bountiful, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bountiful, UT

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and good benefits. Time-off is usually pretty easy to work with.

Cons

Management is terrible and treats employees horribly. Refuse to work around school even though they say in the handbook they will.

I understand managing that many employees can be hard, but if you start treating them with the respect it might make it a little easier. Don't demand the respect. Being nice usually gets that for you.

You will have a hard time finding a company with better compensation for entry level work.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, PTO. The benefits of Costco are hard to beat, our insurance plans are cheaper and better than anyone else I have talked to including government employees.

Cons

Promotion is heavily based off of seniority, and given the company takes care of its employees very well you are always competing with 20+ year employees for vacation requests, scheduling, and job postings.

Let those who are most capable be given a chance to shine rather than shuffling long term employees.

Costco review

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Inglewood, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Inglewood, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Union coverage, Great benefits, good pay

Cons

Late hours, too many hours until first bonus, too many politics

Show more support for your employees

Seasonal Front End Assistant

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) [Seasonal] in Seattle, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I liked working here because my co-workers would help whenever I asked for help and visa-via. Since I was employed during the holidays, there were a lot of opportunities to pick up hours. I got my exercise in everyday by pushing carts and running around the warehouse by doing hot and cold go-backs.

Cons

I was told to smile more when I thought I was already smiling. Plus, they want you to stay/look busy and not stand around if there was a problem at check-out or a member was writing a check by organizing boxes underneath register even if they're already organized. It seemed like a waste of energy. Also, I wish I had more opportunity to stock heavier items after close such as beer, juice, etc. Management shouldn't take an employee's physical side and turn them down to do stocking instead of assigning them to clean underneath registers and break room.

Bad management

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Good pay and vacation time

Cons

Stupid ppl and weekend work and management sucks

If you are going to work in retail, Costco is one of the better companies to work for.

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay for retail
    Good benefits, but not as great as they used to be due to employees faking "work related injuries to get time off"
    Great 401k
    Many locations, transferring around isn't that hard to do
    Promotes from within, usually.

Cons

Managers work at ton of hours during the holiday season, so don't expect to enjoy that time of year.\
    Some warehouses have a bad work environment, caddy employees, drama, etc. due to some employees getting complacent.
    Difficult to become a warehouse manager, some politics involved.

Make it mandatory that supervisors must rotate every 8 months are so (example: in some of the locations I've worked, photo managers/leads sit on that position forever, and most front-end sups flat out refuse to rotate to Cafe Lead.
    Too many Assistant Warehouse managers who aren't "hungry", if they have no intention to be a Warehouse Mgr, get rid of them.

I worked at Costco part time for 3 years. Had a neutral experience.

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Job for college students during the summer

Cons

No really advancement to move up as a college student coming to work during the summer.
    No Flexible Hours

Let students be able to take time off too.

The Odds Are Never In Your Favor

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Austin, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good health benifits
    Solid employee handbook, difficult to be fired without a good documented cause
    Many holidays
    Better than average starting pay
    No uniform
    Nice coworkers

Cons

I can only speak for my warehouse. It was like being in a cult. No joke. Craig was like God. There was rampant favouritism. There are a lot of unspoken rules to follow if you don't want to be miserable. Many middle managers are unhappy, and overworked. If you are a new employee, you will most likely be treated poorly and used, and you are expected to be damn thankful for it too! Lol. You will feel like you have no voice. EVERY thing is based on seniority. PERIOD. You want to get along with your coworkers, but it's a very competetive atmosphere. No one has your back. For some working in a windowless warehouse all day long can become very depressing, doubly if you are in a sealed off refridgerated department (meat/deli/frozen).

Schedules we supposed to be posted a week in advance, but were put up the day of, and changed often with no warning.

Stop promoting aholes that happen to hang around too long, and being so weird with the"values". A little humanity goes a long way.

Great pay, crappy place to work.

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time

Pros

The best thing about the job is the high rate of pay, constant pay raises, benefits, holiday pay, etc.

Cons

You are essentially a faceless human to every boss there and there are ALOT of bosses. I worked front end and had about 10 different supervisors, about 4-5 working at a time. They would belittle you and order you around, often conflicting with what other supervisors tell you to do. Also you are constantly working as it is a very busy place... try getting a bathroom break! All in all a very frustrating experience.

Take more care of your employees and treat them like decent people. Just because you pay good doesn't give you the excuse to take advantage of them.