Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,298 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, not a lot of career opportunities.

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people. Willing to always help each other.

Cons

Benefits are good for full time employees. Personal growth or advancement were not really present.

Love working at Costco

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great work environment, great management. They listen to their employees. Updated System. The pay is pretty good. Job security. Open door policy. Health club!! 401K and other great benefits.

Cons

They won't let you work from home. If you work at buying office you jan not hold a part time job.
    Also you get a pay cut if you transfer from supervisor to ICS.

It will be great to be able to work part time or from home at buying office. As an ICS and new mom I wish I could work part time or from home

A good place to start

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, good people, time and a half on weekends, free food samples and good opportunity for advancement if you are a good employee.

Cons

standing all day, length of time between raises, salary cap for non- management employees, high pay for retail.

listen to innovative ideas from underlings.

Overall I'm very happy working for this company.

Current Employee - Cashier in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The beginning salary is higher than many retail position out there and I love the Sunday pay in which we get paid time and a half. In addition I like how we don't have to stay any later than 8:30pm on weekends and we're closed on major holidays. For someone like me who takes major holidays serious, it's great knowing that I don't have to work on Thanksgiving. On top of having holidays off, Costco is very flexible when it comes to accommodating school schedules for student employees. And if you go to certain trade schools Costco will also help pay your tuition. Furthermore, I'm fortunate to have coworkers that make the work environment fun. Last, it's nice that employees get a free Executive membership after completing their 90-day probation period.

Cons

Supervisors need to get on the same page as one another, as do managers. There have been many times when I have been told to do a task one way just to get lectured by a different manager or supervisor and told to do it a different way. At times dealing with members who are in the wrong gets difficult, especially when management rarely has their employee's back.

Supervisors and managers should be re-trained as to prevent confusing employees when explaining asks are how to deal with different situations.

Excellent company

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay and benefits, promotes from within

Cons

Very physically demanding, long hours

More communication

Great company

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reno, NV

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, excellent benefits, above average pay, reasonable working hours

Cons

Long time employees can be lazy, can be stressful at times, management is not very understanding of personal situations, schedule is never consistent, and supervisors play favorites.

Don't play favorites, work hard, appreciate your employees

Stocker

Former Employee - Stocker in La Quinta, CA
    Former Employee - Stocker in La Quinta, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for the work required.

Cons

Seasonal workers were all let go. Most of us would have accepted PT offer to work.

Great Company, Employee focused

Former Employee - Cashier in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company takes pride in its employees. Pay rates are great and benefits are exceptional.

Cons

Can be very hectic during the holidays.

Good experience, nice people.

Former Employee - Front End
    Former Employee - Front End

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. Working with people from many different walks of life. Best place to work if you are in the retail business. Off on holidays and no crazy hours throughout the Christmas season.

Cons

Management keeping people on staff that are not dedicated, hard working employees. Hard for some people to handle the environment of there not being consistent discipline from employee to employee.

I know everyone likes to put their two cents worth in perhaps have a place that employees can leave feedback or insight on certain things anonymously.

My wife (Bakery) and I (FE cashier/assistant) both work for Costco...

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kapolei, HI
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kapolei, HI

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Starting pay is good and benefits are great. I love that you work to make your own raises as long as you put in the time you'll get raises. Once topped off you make over $40k a year. Plus bonuses twice a year and time and a half every Sundays. Now who wouldn't want to work here. Awesome company

Cons

At times it can get stressful especially the beginning of each month due to EBT (food stamps). Members can be a little rude but you just put on that smile and swear at them in your head...but as for the company no cons

Management is very understanding and tries to help you out with work related and personal issues you may have. Fairness and respect should be a managers number one duty to the members, employees and the company.