Costco Wholesale Reviews

Reset
3.8
Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits sick pay vacation even for part timers (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits & room for advancement (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting full time is extremely difficult (in 68 reviews)

• Not flexible always extending part time workers (in 56 reviews)

1. Nice company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally friendly coworkers. Benefits for full-time employees are great. Free executive membership. Free turkey at the holidays. Operations generally work smoothly.

Cons

Dealing with members. Service job.

Advice to Management

Pretty good job.

2. Bakery Wrapper

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I was working seasonal at this warehouse and multi-tasked from bakery wrapper, helping cake decorators, making dough, stocking, merchandising and helped in the front end groceries. The pay was great. I worked mornings and evenings. They work people hard for the great benefits.

Cons

you have to know somebody to get you in. I enjoyed working in the bakery but they discriminate if you don't speak fluent Spanish. un professional management in the bakery.

Advice to Management

should not play favoritism at all costs, there are hard workers out there if they weren't over looked.

Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and Benefits. Great business model that has taken the company far. Company promotes from within, pro/con.

Cons

Rapid expansion has weakened internal structure, many under qualified store managers. Hours are rough and may change with little notice. Lacking sense of inclusion most operations are set by corporate offices and simply carried out by store management.

Advice to Management

Develop young talent make them want a career at Costco. Consider pay restructuring for junior and senior level management. There is a large gap between incentives for these level employees and Assistant General Managers.

5. food service

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for students great for people who like fast paced environments compensation equal to the work that you do

Cons

very stressful at times takes a while to move up if your connections are limited

Well compensated but worked very hard.

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours available, well compensated.

Cons

High expectations, one 15 min break every 4 hours, always moving, very rigorous.

7. Seasonal Worker

Former Contractor - Floor Staff in Vista, CA
    Former Contractor - Floor Staff in Vista, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits Good Pay Awesome co-workers Affordable Prices

Cons

Some horrible managers Bad at scheduling Don't expect to get vacation time approved Time confliction

Advice to Management

If you promise to give time off even with a 2 week notice in the book, be sure to fulfill the request. If our availability says we cannot work certain days and hours due to other responsibilities, please be responsible enough to not continue to be scheduling us against our availability. Then blast us for not showing up regardless of the way our life is set up.

Be careful what you wish for.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was outstanding, considering I never went to college. The health, vision and dental benefits, good luck finding it any better some place else. 👍 You get all major holidays off with pay, except Easter (union stores only).

Cons

Once you top out in your pay scale and you are full time, it's very hard to get a transfer. None of the managers respect one another. They will undermind each other in many ways. Example, within one hour I had 3 different managers tell me to stop what the other manager told me to do, and do what they want. Very stressful. They change the managers way to often. I had 5 store managers in the 11 years I was there. Ridiculous!!!! They all do things very different from one another, stupid! Employees are so busy gossiping and getting into your business, no matter what, they will never just leave you alone. Toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, almost 90% of your employees are on drugs. I had 3 managers at the store I worked at, who were major pill poppers & one is on heroine. I spent some time in the office and did a lot of filing, I was appalled by some of your employees who had many blue sheets & very long negative letters from members. What the Hell are you keeping those people for? I have seen too many employees get fired for the stupidest things, while those unpleasant, thorn in your side employees are still there. I also can't believe how stupid managers are that they can't tell when an employee is lying. If you can have someone be there in a matter of minutes to administer a drug test, I feel you can get a lie detector person as well. I would never work for this company again. Very untrustworthy bunch of people I have ever encountered.

Great company but be prepared to deal with horrible members

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, hours, 401k and bonuses..can't really complain when you're making $50,000 a year without a college degree..

Cons

The members can be awful and even if they are cussing at you or treating like garbage management will always take their side and even reward their bad behavior with cash cards..

Advice to Management

try to understand we don't want unhappy members sometimes they're are upset because we can't fill a control substance early..please look at the big picture instead of having the attitude that a complaint is a complaint..

10. Good place to gain experience and move up.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, pay is above average, fast paced, and days go by quickly.

Cons

It can take awhile to move up, at least depending on your location and turnover. Applying to other departments tends to be hard unless you have a friend in the department. Most employees start working outside on carts.

Advice to Management

Incentives and opportunities to move to other positions would encourage individuals to stay longer.

11. Good company if you can get in

Former Employee - Produce Stocker in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Produce Stocker in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Lots of overtime during the holidays

Cons

I was hired as a seasonal part time employee over the holidays. I worked my tail off for them, got great reviews from management, was told I was going to stay around. Then on my one day off a week that I was taking, I get the call saying they don't have the payroll to keep seasonal people around. This is after doing over million dollars in sails every day for over three weeks...

Advice to Management

Retain hard workers when you see them. Saw people that had been their literally sleeping on the office furniture we sell (with name tag on) and you keep these people around for what?

Showing 46 of 2,036 reviews