Costco Wholesale Reviews in San Diego, CA

3.9
1,300 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Supervisor

Former Employee - Sales/Supervisor in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Sales/Supervisor in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Obtaining seniority amongst other employees for vacations and scheduling.

Set regular schedules.

Repetitive but the work went fast.

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great base pay rate for entry level
    Amazing health benefits for part time
    Time and a half on Sunday

Cons

You HAVE to work weekends if you're new, which is hard if you have a family or kids, etc.
    Some favoritism in regards to who gets promoted to front end supervisors
    Inconsistency across the stores as to what they value (some it's cashiering speed, cutting payroll, etc)

Allow a rotating schedule of weekends off awarded (at least one weekday) so people don't get burned out.

Good company

Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits,flexible hours,decent pay,you get free membership and the dress code is great

Cons

Takes too long to become full time,Raises are based on hours worked not how long you have been with with the company.

No comments

Great for Shopping not so much for employment

Former Employee - Seasonal Front End/Bakery in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Front End/Bakery in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working for this company is that you can do your shopping rite after work and not have to fight the parkin lot. Most employees are nice but do not expect to walk away with life long friends.

Cons

In working for this company I learned very quickly that the only employees who get full time positions or move into management are non-college educated people willing to sleep with supervsors. Rite in this companies hiring guidelines is a requirement for a high school deploma or eqivalent but I worked with many people who lied about this on their application and were hired anyway. Clearly the company does not verify the information people put down. The only employees that were kept after holiday season were those messing around wth supervisors or managers eventhough they could not do basic math.

The hiring managers need to verify the information palced on employment applications because employees are very open about what they lied about after hiring.

Great People, Great Company

Former Employee - Cart Pusher, Cashier, Food Court, Stocking in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Cart Pusher, Cashier, Food Court, Stocking in San Diego, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

From the Cart Pushers, to the Cashiers, to the Floor Supervisors to the GM every person part of the company were all around great people. I was treated very well and moved up quite fast for a first time Costco employee. although I worked for a much smaller Costco, it was 1 of the 7 Business Centers; now I 8, but i moved up quickly as it is a growing location. The starting pay is around 11.00 which is great when minimum wage is $8 something, and your duties are pushing carts, not to bad. I learned a lot about customer service as well as working at a fast pace when I was working the register.
    I ended up working in almost 5 departments in the 5 months that I worked for them; before having to relocate across the country. They did try and transfer me, but the new location was already at max employment, and was already letting season employees go. Rough times, but they have me a great reference letter for future employment.

Cons

I honestly couldn't tell you any Con's, as my time with Costco was very short lives, and I was friends with the majority of employees in the company after such a short period of time.

Keep up the great work San Diego Business center!

Front End Ass

Former Employee - Clerk Assistant in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk Assistant in La Mesa, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome Co-workers, management was always on top of the situation. Great Warehouse as well. The store was Non-union and I found that the warehouse could handle any problems that could be encountered. The store, I felt could properly tend to an associate concerns and, or problems in a decisive and caring manner. Also worked around my school schedule, which they supported.

Cons

if you don't follow the specific rules in the employee hand book it is very easy to get fired. I was fired, but can honestly say nothing negative about my experience.

Great pay and benefits, but lack of respect for employees.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits.
    Most employees are friendly and professional.

Cons

Very difficult to get time off or vacation time approved.
    Not willing to schedule according to employee availability.
    I personally know of one employee who was told to quit his/her other job due to scheduling conflicts.
    This was a new hire and was making more money at the other job, but was planning to leave after working at Costco for long enough to get a raise.
    Rude, gossipy Supervisors, and Management seems to promote their "pets".

Costco Packaging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good company great pay,good benefits and great working hours

Cons

Poor management. General Manager knows all issues but he wont change nothing. Lower Managers and Supervisors do what ever they want and they wont be replaced or written up, lack of Professionalism, no ethics, Favoritism. Even with training programs like "right side of the line" encouraged by corporate. This is violated all the time by managers and most of the time by Supervisors

Managers and Supervisors need to be retrained, plus they need to know how to respect people

Good Retail Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As long as you are friendly and work hard you will be treated well.

Good starting pay
    Excellent Benefits
    Friendly workplace and staff

Cons

Fast pace work
    Hard to be hired permanently
    Some positions in the company are highly sought after and it can be hard to change departments.

Get treated like scum by employees,and members for 11.50 pay

Former Employee - Seasonal Front End/Bakery in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Front End/Bakery in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

. 11.50 an hour pay
    . BUSINESS membership when hired seasonal

Cons

.Unorganized management at all times!! these people think they are on a high pedastal newsflash you work in a warehouse which has been praised a little too much.
    .You're schedule will get changed with out notice BEWARE!!
    . employees that have been working there will look down on you .
    . Feels like being thrown back in highschool there will be gossip about you and other employees this job is an ant field for gossip and backstabbing.
    .Rude employees who keep to themselves they are not welcoming to new people at all.

Hello managers how about actually spending time in your departments and how about actually getting to know your employees instead of being in your office all day.