Cott

Jerry Fowden

Good Place but be careful

Supply (Former Employee)

I worked at Cott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat environment with lots of freedom to do your job like you want to do it. My boss was very interested in my development and the local US HR team was great to work with.

ConsVery tough business environment and company is regularly downsizing and cutting back. Very Senior management and especially corporate group and CEO not very interested in talking or communicating with rank and file. Corporate group located in Tampa too and not really interested in people. My boss was great and enjoyed working with him.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more to associates.

Corporate office is a nightmare..BEWARE.

I worked at Cott full-time

ProsPay, time off, bonus. Free water and soda.

ConsRude executives and upper management, terrible corporate communication. There was a mass exodus of good employees over the last year soley because of one or two execs in particular - one of which was the most difficult personality any of us had ever encountered. Extremely stressful workplace between ridiculous workload and fear of unjustified reprisals. HR is completely detached and ineffective. Culture of keep quiet and do as you're told.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Obviously, you are doing what you need to do to keep the big checks rolling in. Why worry about anyone else?

Decent place to work with good benefits as long as you manager leave you alone.

Quality Technician (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent wage compare to other factories, okay benefits, hardworking coworkers ( most),
friendly environment ( once you get to know them), provided safety PPE, hearing loss test provided ( noisy environment), free or reduce soda, lotto drawings.

ConsHarsh working environment ( hot in summer, cold in winter), poor management ( lack skills, communication & knowledge yet expect workers to fix problems), manager violated company policies yet will write workers for the same violation ( eg PPE)- San Antonio plant.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're all equal -all fresh and blood. Being a manager does not entitle one to mistreat coworkers.

Unorganized, unfocused, toxic. Worst experience of entire career.

I worked at Cott full-time

ProsNot enough to compensate for the Cons.

ConsLack of senior leadership and direction, lots of bullying, disrespect, favoritism and nepotism, very poor communication . Extremely resistant to change and new ideas. Unhappy people so afraid to speak up, no trust or confidence in leaders or company. HR could care less - don't rock the boat. Very unpleasant physical office environment (all open like a call center).

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking like a real global company and squash the good old boy network. Treat people like human beings and learn how to properly communicate equally to all employees. Learn how to motivate your workforce instead of tearing people down and creating panic and chaos. All execs and sr leaders need to take some basic managerial/motivational training.

Great company, Large company work with a small company feel.

Food Science Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cott as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone was friendly and got along.

ConsTheir system they use to process paychecks seems to glitch sometimes.

Hold your breath for an unfocused, wild ride with a organization whose primary business is in a declining category

I worked at Cott full-time

ProsCompetitive pay is the only pro.

ConsEgotistic personalities; cover my butt mentality; finger pointing; integration of Cliffstar not completed; antiquated and ill communicated processes and systems; email conversations rather than phone or in person; poor communication from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to you people. Share your vision. Tell them where you want to go. Let them figure out how to get there. Put the right people in the right seats in all offices. The company feels like a string of offices cobbled together therefore lacking a one voice one team one goal feel.

Low cost provider, low pay provider, high expectation employer

I worked at Cott full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you need a job while in between jobs it's ok but don't look at this as being a long term place to build a career.

ConsLow pay, high expectations. Not going to make a fortune here, don't think you can. This is not Coke or Pepsi. Yelling and screaming and micro managing doesn't get positive results.

Corporate management doesn't have your back. They don't act on concerns and lets things happen. Be cautious about working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what employees have to say. Most of it may not be true but there are things that are.

Mid -Sized Company with a history of mixed success

Executive Office (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cott

ProsGood personal relationships with peer employees, and talented people. Reasonable work-life balance.

ConsEveryone junior to the senior management team is paid beneath market. Even the base salaries for senior management are lower than market, but they get special perks in stock awards. The company has become more stable in recent years, but the CEO is quite miserly with expenditures. You've got to fight for pay. The HR team is not an ally for employees, and it's wise to be cautious in discussions with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams! Make careful acquisitions. People at Cott work very hard, and assume numerous responsibilities. Everyone I know does more work than they expected when they took their job. Employees deserve to be compensated fairly for that work.

Good but not a place to advance

Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Cott

ProsFlexible boss, not high stress, easy work

ConsNo room to advance, dealing with a lot of people who work from home, not a lot of contact

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Interesting

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Cott

ProsThe pay is excellent for a company that lacks innovation. Many good people and some really bad HR people.

ConsBad systems, lots of firedrills, painful acquisition intergration, bad HR group.

Advice to Senior ManagementServant leadership.

Worked for Cott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cott reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cott CEO Jerry Fowden. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Cott employees.