Cotton On Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
160 reviews filtered by
2.3
Ashley James Hardwick

Pros
  • 50% discount, great music, had the opportunity to work with a great in-store staff (in 35 reviews)

• Great discount and meeting fun new people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They would make us do floorsets during the weekends when customer service was important (in 14 reviews)

• There are under 9 stores in my district and half don't have store managers (in 11 reviews)

1. love my team

Current Employee - Key Holder in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Cotton On part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the worlds best manager ! shes taught me so much.... promotions are available ( promoted briefly after hiring )

Cons

not being recognized by upper management. being belittled by store managers that come to " help " out at your location .

scheduling is bias and supremely beneficial to the person who makes it. never having to close on the weekend from a manager or assistant is a little extreme .

upper management is kinda clicky . if you're not in with them and what they say ... opportunities cease ...

and expect to kiss a lot of tush to stay afloat. you can be the worlds best associate but if you're not ready to suck up then this job is not for you

Recognize and appreciate the hard work and dedication a team has. Our stores don't make money because the store manager and assistant work all day . your driving force for sales is from the people who work with the sales associates ALL THE TIME .... the key holders know and do way more than they are given credit for

2. Going in a better direction, lacks company structure.

Current Employee - Key Holder/Lead
    Current Employee - Key Holder/Lead

I have been working at Cotton On part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's an easy and relaxed work atmosphere and the majority of the staff is enjoyable to be around. A sturdy loss prevention focus helps foster confidence.

Cons

The company relies on outdated technology and policies and refuses to put out the wages and hours necessary for the further development of associates.

Work with your associates to foster and improve personal growth as a sales associate. Happy sales associates drives store and in turn company growth.

Don't do it.

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cotton On full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount. They are lax with who you give it to unlike other employers. I would say work life balance but I don't know what that is anymore. The cotton on foundation is pretty great. Or it used to be. No social media work required. They promote young management. I'm basically trying to come up with anything nice to say to meet the damn minimum requirement.

Cons

Lack of structure.
    No rules regarding insubordination.
    Employee handbook has no clear cut rules.
    Pay not enough for what's required.
    Australians wording on promotions makes no sense and can be pretty convoluted and confusing.
    Lack of direction.
    No way to email dm/store manager from store, solely depends on communication through phone but won't allow text msg, leaves room for Dm to "forget" what you tell them.
    Cuts hours because sales aren't made but doesn't understand that by doing this we lose business due to lack of floor coverage.
    Store managers are in charge of payroll, wth?!?
    Far too much on plate, should be more focused on the business then the tasks that other companies require their hr/hq staff to complete.

Structure structure structure. Either pay us more and give us more coverage or have clear divisions of responsibilities between sm/Dm/rd. CLEAR expectation across the board. Stop hiring and firing people like it's an addiction, I've seen 3 rd's in the past year.
    Btw benefits suck. Medical+vision

5. Fun and easy-going!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Cotton On full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount on clothes and easy attainable tasks, which became routine.

Cons

Do not provide paid-time-off for maternity leave and it's difficult to take time off if you're sick.

There's a lot of favoritism that goes on with this company, but sadly, I think that's part of retail. If you're the type that likes to move up in the company by kissing the floor your DM walks on, then you'll easily take their place once they move on to bigger things. My talent wasn't recognized by the DM because she hardly saw me when she was in town and when she was, she focused more on the store manager than working to help promote and improve the assistant managers.

Overall, I still loved the clothing and really cheap deals! Can't go wrong with a 50% off discount too. I enjoyed my time there and missed the staff I worked with.

Trust me! Avoid this place.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cotton On

Pros

The discount and the gift card you receive when hired.

Cons

Always alone due to no hours given for payroll, even when closing. No structure or discipline for people who don't show up to shifts. Unnecessary tasks that could be eliminated. Floor sets during business hours. No room for advancement.

Realize that you're in America and you need to adapt it. Management needs to get on the same page and realize that the work load they expect can not be done in the hours given.

7. worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Cotton On part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There was a good discount at 50% off. And it wasn't a hard job.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism through out the store and company. There's a lot of put things on and off hangers for no reason and a lot of last minute floor changes without the clothes they tell you to have on the floor. The atmosphere is very negative and there are not enough hours to actually survive.

Give the stores the tools they need to succeed. And be aware of poor SM's and be aware of how poorly they treat their staff.

8. Fun environment, fast paced, exhausting

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cotton On full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Engaging company, friendly staff, great company values.

Cons

Lots of changes, mishaps, poor preparation and operational challenges.

Give more recognition to store teams.

9. Pure misery, absolutely horrible.

Former Employee - Key Holder in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Tampa, FL

I worked at Cotton On

Pros

50% discount flexible hours.

Cons

Everything sucks. Managment is bad, it turnover is frequent and so is the employee turnover. I worked there 11 months before I was fired. I was a key holder working part time 35-55 hours mostly alone with double shifts between westshore and Brandon. I was constantly bombarded with taskes and critical reviews. I worked my butt off and never once was I appreciated. They are by far the most demanding entry level job I have ever be part of. They promote team work and family based environment, what they really do is act like abusive parents and smack you around mentally until you feel like a miserable excuse for a human being. I was accused of being the reason for store loss and stealing...not true...but they were sure I was to blame...biggest waste of time ever. Managment is a JOKE! Don't expect hours you might work 2 days a week and those two days you'll do the work of 3 people.

Stop being slave drivers and do your job...every manager sucks there except a woman named Adrian in Lakeland...she's amazing.

10. The opportunity is there

I have been working at Cotton On

Pros

The company is improving and the dedication is amazing.

Cons

Some people are stuck in thier old CottonOn ways but even with that said they are still trying to grow with the company.

All General Managers should be Salary !

11. Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cotton On full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, great discount, freedom to dress and be who you are, tattoo and piercings are welcome

Cons

Over worked, unorganized, low payroll hours, you work on one part coverage for several hours, floorset to be completed during business hours, No support from district manager this company still has a lot of growing to do

Definitely start caring about the needs of your employees, more payroll hours and stop doing things at the last minute:floor changes, markdowns and shipment and lastly dont forget to show some appreciate to your employees and work on their growth

Cotton On Photos