Cotton On
www.cottonon.com.au Geelong, Australia 1000 to 5000 Employees

Cotton On Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Ashley James Hardwick

Pros:
  • "They reward employees with 50% discount at all related stores (eg"
    in 20 reviews
  • "There is a great benefits package for all full time employees as well as a great employee discount throughout all brands"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor store managers: my last store manager was incredibly unprofessional and childish"
    in 8 reviews
  • "This company has extremely high turnover (over 20% vacancy at any given point)"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you can't handle stress, not the company for you!

Key Holder (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cotton On full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat store manager, the pay is amazing compared to what other people in other stores make, great discount, hip and trendy clothes, occasional contests where you can win really cool prizes like trips and gift cards.

ConsThe sad part about CottonOn is sometimes you really do feel abused. Many of the stores in my district (about 80% of them) are understaffed so we are forced to run the stores on very little man power. You work long days, many times alone until someone comes in 2 hours before you leave to give you a "break". They swamp many tasks on you and expect you to do them all in your shift that you are working by yourself. while you're trying to do these tasks, you are also running the fitting room, being the cashier, preventing theft and trying to sell "hot items" they want you to sell. If you get frazzled easily, this company is NOT for you. It is very stressful and you need to be able to handle massive amounts of pressure to survive here. The turnover rate is extremely high and we've gone through 5 different people in our management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hours so we can have more coverage during our shifts. Stores operate better when there are two people there at all times. Allows the person to get their tasks done and have a back up person to run everything else. Also- it'd be better if the hiring process didn't take a month (takes up to a month to hire someone). Running a store on 5 people or less is challenging and it makes having a personal life hard.

Store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cotton On full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company has been amazing to me. All these negative comments are coming from people with a terrible work ethic and probably do not think of cotton on as a career path. This is my career and I love it. I have a perfect balance of work and life. Not to say that it's always easy but i have been a store manager at other companies and cotton on is the best one so far. As long as you work as hard as you can you will be noticed and you will move up. They see everything you do and they are fair. Great pay and benefits with an amazing discount. My dm and rm are great and communicate well with me as well as themselves. I feel that all of these comments are coming from west coast stores. I'm in the east and have not come across any issues. It's just been a great experience so far.

ConsNon that I can't think of. They do challenge you but it's only to better train you to bring out the best of yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your staff and they will do the same. Don't bark orders at then rather team with them to make a great working environment for everyone

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I enjoyed working with my coworkers & the experience of the job but I was unsatisfied by their disorganization

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Arcadia, CA

I worked at Cotton On part-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a good experience in sales & customer service, esp working in selling children's clothes vs. teen clothes

ConsThe first two weeks of work where done on paper which got lost so I did not get paid. also they lost the password on my POS card so i couldn't ring on the register.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should keep better track of the paperwork done before electronically signing in & tried to find out my password sooner.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cotton On part-time for more than a year

Pros- The Working environment is a lot of fun
- Staff Discount
- Team incentives
- Strong team environment developed by the managerial staff

Cons- Some regional management needs to have a greater understanding as to what is actually happening on the ground level
- Refund / exchange policy in respect to customers

Worst job I've ever had

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cotton On part-time for less than a year

ProsThe only good thing about this job was the 50% off discount.

Cons1. I was a seasonal worker and was only scheduled FOUR times in the three months I was hired for.
2. They did not follow my availability, which I feel was pretty lenient, especially since I had another job and was enrolled in classes.
3. I would receive calls to come in to work at the last minute.
4. Schedules were never done on time, therefore I would have to keep calling to figure out what my schedule for the week was.
5. I was never properly dismissed from my position.
6. I was paid by a reloadable debit card, which was inconvenient since I needed the extra money to pay for bills. I could withdraw the money, but everywhere I would withdraw from, I'd be charged a $3 service fee.
7. I was never register trained, so I couldn't do much.
8. Breaks were never given at appropriate times. I worked Black Friday for about 9 hours and I received only ONE 30 minute lunch break around my 5th hour.
9. My name was spelled wrong on my badge AND I didn't receive my badge until the 3rd shift I worked, which was about a month after I started.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything needs to be better organized. WAY better organized.

Seasonal Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Brea, CA

I worked at Cotton On part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee discount, 50% off on all clothing and accessories. Good music, good clothing and they donate 100% of their proceeds to help educate kids in Uganda. The manager including the assistant manager & key holders are very supportive and they carry such positive attitudes. They'll guide you through everything and will find what your best potential is like if your good at greeting customers then they'll put you as a greeter in the front or if your good with recommendations and add-ons, they'll put you in the middle zone so you can help customers that need help with an outfit or doing any gift shopping. It's a fun, energetic environment and you get to meet a lot of nice people.

ConsIf you are looking to make more money during the holidays, this job is not the best opportunity. They hire over 20 seasonal workers for the holidays so majority of the new hires only end up getting one shift per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people and give the people hired more hours because people depend on seasonal jobs to make more money during the holidays.

ASM

I have been working at Cotton On full-time

ProsGood Discount, good schedule. get out early.

ConsUnrealistic, favoritism, long hours, work alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore realistic, better comunication

Very Poorly Run, Australian ethic doesn't match USA needs.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cotton On full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent pay for retail management. 50% off Merchandise

ConsVery poor support and no concept of customer relations.

Could be great, if only......

Manager In Training (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cotton On full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a great benefits package for all full time employees as well as a great employee discount throughout all brands.

ConsThere is little work/ life balance on a store level( you're expected to put the job before everything else). Your scheduling can be changed at a moments notice without any notice. Recently the company went through a corporate make over, demoting regional managers and inserting higher level and new position management from outside the company in order to "Americanize" the business within the states and streamline communication and efficiency: the changes have done the complete opposite of that. It seems as though nothing has changed from the previous corporate structure. There is still mass miscommunication from corporate members which eventually trickle down to the store level.
The company seems to be one that reacts to trends and internal controversies rather than being proactive. There is no method to he madness as stores are expected to execute visual merchandising updates without proper preparation, staffing/hours, or notification. These updates most times will be altered throughout the day and null in void for some stores because they do not have such product.
There is also a sense of "cliquish ness " , both on the corporate and store levels. Who you know will get you where/ what you want. Being promoted based on merit and skill is unlikely as people are often promoted to positions that they are unable to fulfill because or lack or knowledge and experience. There no job postings internal about open positions, it's kept a secret amongst corporate staff until they find who they want to fill that position.
The company could be a leading fashion retailer if they only got out of their own way. The saying " there are too many cooks in the kitchen" was definitely created with this company in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your store staff, rather than just hearing them. Give store staff incentive to go above and beyond rather than badgering them for all of the things that are not up to your personal expectations. Create a streamlined communication center in which all branches ( vm and retail) adhere to and agree upon to diminish the confusion within stores. Be consistent! Be admirable! Be innovative!

Personally had a great experience with upward mobility and growth opportunities

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cotton On full-time for more than a year

Pros- Upward mobility for sales associates to key holders
- Fast paced work environment

Cons- Unorganized corporate management, VMs and other directives given without notice
- Balance of expectations versus reality

Advice to Senior ManagementEach store should be handled in a case by case basis. Some stores can complete tasks in less amount of hours because they are given more hours due to higher sales. Lower performing stores aren't allocated enough hours for proper distribution of tasks.

Worked for Cotton On? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cotton On reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cotton On CEO Ashley James Hardwick. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Cotton On employees.