Cotton On Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
169 reviews filtered by
2.3
Ashley James Hardwick

Pros
  • 50% discount, great music, had the opportunity to work with a great in-store staff (in 35 reviews)

• Great discount and meeting fun new people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They would make us do floorsets during the weekends when customer service was important (in 14 reviews)

• There are under 9 stores in my district and half don't have store managers (in 11 reviews)

1. It's fun to work at cotton on

I have been working at Cotton On

Pros

Pay rate is $9/hour it's fun to work with the people there and is extremely easy and good chances on moving higher.

Cons

Nothing is wrong with them. They are a great company

Advice to Management

They are well organized and it's fun to work there

2. Good temporary job

I worked at Cotton On

Pros

Good employee discounts, not very strict on the dress code, paid better than some competitors and was a pretty upbeat atmosphere.

Cons

Tried to hard for a "cool" vibe with too loud, too explicit music and had a number of odd policies and rules that the manager chalked up to the companies Australian roots.

Advice to Management

Try to de-clutter the store, more is less a lot of the time. Especially with the huge over stocked clearance section that would often just become a messy eye sore regardless of everyone's best efforts.

3. Highly demanding job with even higher expectations

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cotton On part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 50% off employee discount. That's about it. And awesome coworkers if your lucky

Cons

Being part time. You get the bare minimum in hours. Corporate expects to much, I can't get much done in a 3 hour shift. Be expected to do 50 things at once.God help you if you get a "surprise visit" and the store is a mess, you will never hear the end of it. If you don't make your budget for the day its clearly all your fault and not the lack of customers. And yes we are those annoying sales ppl who ask if you'd like to add a number of items to your purchase with a email to tie it off. Its honestly too much to ask for with ridiculously high expectations. Even if you do accomplish all this in a 3 hour period, "you can always do more! "

Advice to Management

Get off the staffs back. Everyone is doing the best they can. We aren't machines, we are people who should be treated as such.

5. Cotton on still needs stability

Current Employee - Store Manager In Training
    Current Employee - Store Manager In Training

I have been working at Cotton On full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you started in the early years of the business, they paid very well.
    An ever changing environment
    Brand is still establishing itself

Cons

No stability in upper management
    Constant policy changes
    High turnover rate

Advice to Management

There needs to be more realistic expectations for the store level staff. Also, with all the turnover in upper management, there will continue to be instability in stores.

6. love my team

Current Employee - Key Holder in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Cotton On part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the worlds best manager ! shes taught me so much.... promotions are available ( promoted briefly after hiring )

Cons

not being recognized by upper management. being belittled by store managers that come to " help " out at your location .

scheduling is bias and supremely beneficial to the person who makes it. never having to close on the weekend from a manager or assistant is a little extreme .

upper management is kinda clicky . if you're not in with them and what they say ... opportunities cease ...

and expect to kiss a lot of tush to stay afloat. you can be the worlds best associate but if you're not ready to suck up then this job is not for you

Advice to Management

Recognize and appreciate the hard work and dedication a team has. Our stores don't make money because the store manager and assistant work all day . your driving force for sales is from the people who work with the sales associates ALL THE TIME .... the key holders know and do way more than they are given credit for

7. Going in a better direction, lacks company structure.

Current Employee - Key Holder/Lead
    Current Employee - Key Holder/Lead

I have been working at Cotton On part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an easy and relaxed work atmosphere and the majority of the staff is enjoyable to be around. A sturdy loss prevention focus helps foster confidence.

Cons

The company relies on outdated technology and policies and refuses to put out the wages and hours necessary for the further development of associates.

Advice to Management

Work with your associates to foster and improve personal growth as a sales associate. Happy sales associates drives store and in turn company growth.

Don't do it.

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cotton On full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount. They are lax with who you give it to unlike other employers. I would say work life balance but I don't know what that is anymore. The cotton on foundation is pretty great. Or it used to be. No social media work required. They promote young management. I'm basically trying to come up with anything nice to say to meet the damn minimum requirement.

Cons

Lack of structure.
    No rules regarding insubordination.
    Employee handbook has no clear cut rules.
    Pay not enough for what's required.
    Australians wording on promotions makes no sense and can be pretty convoluted and confusing.
    Lack of direction.
    No way to email dm/store manager from store, solely depends on communication through phone but won't allow text msg, leaves room for Dm to "forget" what you tell them.
    Cuts hours because sales aren't made but doesn't understand that by doing this we lose business due to lack of floor coverage.
    Store managers are in charge of payroll, wth?!?
    Far too much on plate, should be more focused on the business then the tasks that other companies require their hr/hq staff to complete.

Advice to Management

Structure structure structure. Either pay us more and give us more coverage or have clear divisions of responsibilities between sm/Dm/rd. CLEAR expectation across the board. Stop hiring and firing people like it's an addiction, I've seen 3 rd's in the past year.
    Btw benefits suck. Medical+vision

9. Fun and easy-going!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Cotton On full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on clothes and easy attainable tasks, which became routine.

Cons

Do not provide paid-time-off for maternity leave and it's difficult to take time off if you're sick.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of favoritism that goes on with this company, but sadly, I think that's part of retail. If you're the type that likes to move up in the company by kissing the floor your DM walks on, then you'll easily take their place once they move on to bigger things. My talent wasn't recognized by the DM because she hardly saw me when she was in town and when she was, she focused more on the store manager than working to help promote and improve the assistant managers.

Overall, I still loved the clothing and really cheap deals! Can't go wrong with a 50% off discount too. I enjoyed my time there and missed the staff I worked with.

Trust me! Avoid this place.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cotton On

Pros

The discount and the gift card you receive when hired.

Cons

Always alone due to no hours given for payroll, even when closing. No structure or discipline for people who don't show up to shifts. Unnecessary tasks that could be eliminated. Floor sets during business hours. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Realize that you're in America and you need to adapt it. Management needs to get on the same page and realize that the work load they expect can not be done in the hours given.

11. worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Cotton On part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was a good discount at 50% off. And it wasn't a hard job.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism through out the store and company. There's a lot of put things on and off hangers for no reason and a lot of last minute floor changes without the clothes they tell you to have on the floor. The atmosphere is very negative and there are not enough hours to actually survive.

Advice to Management

Give the stores the tools they need to succeed. And be aware of poor SM's and be aware of how poorly they treat their staff.

Cotton On Photos