Cottonwood Financial

Trevor Ahlberg

1. Great opportunity

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, the hours are the same always, chain of command is helpful, management opportunities, company promotes from within usually, some people stay for many years and keep moving up, good insurance coverage.

Cons

Collections are difficult, this job can be stressful because alot of customers do not like to pay back what they borrowed, you have to be relentless to collect from debt customers, emotionally taxing at times, work 6 days a week.

Advice to Management

Please implement more raises after the first year.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time

Pros

The pay is wonderful.
    (That's about all.)

Cons

- For the amount of work employees do and the things they put up with, and the amount of MONEY the company makes, one would think the employee would be rewarded with better benefits... And they reel you in with bonuses, but you'll never reach the goal (maybe 1 out of 12 times.) They make it nearly impossible.

- Co-workers are not all up to par, yet after many complaints to upper management
    nothing is ever achieved. True, not everyone learns at the same pace, but if you've been at a company for seven years, how do you STILL not know what you're doing? And how has nothing been done about it?

- Upper management doesn't see what truly goes on in a store, only the Store Manager, yet the store manager is not allowed to issue write-ups or "retrain." That doesn't make sense. When upper management comes in, the employees act on their best behavior and tip-toe around, but as soon as management leaves, it's back to old habits.

- Sure, you work a half-day on Saturday, but you work 11 hour days (sometimes more) if you're a store manager. There is NO CHANCE for a life.

Advice to Management

Allow store managers the ability to repremand more. You don't see everything. Sure, you have reports with metrics, but that truly doesn't reflect what's going on in the store.

Training isn't too terrible. There just needs to be RETRAINING if someone is constantly falling behind. This slows down everyone around them and, more of then than not, makes customers angry, which is all the company cares about. Customers and money.

3. Manager

I worked at Cottonwood Financial

Pros

Salaries are generous and work life balance is good.

Cons

Benefits are poor, company culture leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Show you value your employees by providing more and better benefits.

5. Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers
    Pay is not bad
    You work a short day on Saturday

Cons

You are coach and trained on customer service but the managers that train you don't show good customer service to the employee that they train. They are very cut throat. My advice to any one that works there don't. You get promoted quickly and fired quickly.

Advice to Management

Give the staff respect

Great Company!

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial

Pros

The company culture is great and provides employees with a supportive environment. If you are motivated and have a drive to succeed then you will be successful at Cottonwood Financial.

Cons

The benefits package is not competitive.

7. Not for Everyone

I worked at Cottonwood Financial

Pros

Good Pay , Great Hours if you do not mind weekends

Cons

Not Enough Training, expect all dialer calls everyday every hour

Advice to Management

Be More Honest and Upfront with upcoming changes

8. Very sad...waste of your time and efforts.

Former Employee - District Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - District Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial

Pros

The only thing I can say positively is that they do offer decent benefits. However, when you leave, they will cheat you out of any vacation time that you have earned and not used. When you roll over to having 3 weeks vacation and you loose the time off and/or pay for same, it can be quite disappointing.

Cons

The hours aren't great, upper management could not possibly care less about the people beneath them, they do a complete house cleaning once every 3-5 years. Look around, you will be looking very hard to find ANYONE who has worked there for more than 4 or 5 years. No matter how hard you work, they are never satisfied. Even when they SAY they are satisfied, they are not. There is a lot of backstabbing, from management. Everyone is expected to be negative when dealing with employees. I was told to my face, that if my employees do not fear for their job everyday they come to work, that I must not be doing my job right. I chose to state that negativity never motivated me. HA!

Advice to Management

Wake up! I know you have a lot of applicants to choose from in very big cities. However, one day everyone will know your ways and no one will be wanting to work for your company. I can however, state that I am happy about the unbelievable number of unemployment claims you must be paying for every single day!

9. Abusive work environment

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So easy to get hired. They give job offers on the spot especially if the horny hiring managers think you are attractive and single.

Cons

Incompetent folks. Like a meat market. Horrid benefits- almost $500 monthly for health insurance only. Looks bad on a resume.

Advice to Management

Money can't buy you everything......

Good place to work

Current Employee - Operations Department
    Current Employee - Operations Department

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cottonwood has excellent compensation and hires a lot of great people to work in the corporate office. I very rarely find that I have an issue working with anyone, and I tend to believe that any issues stem more from me than anyone else. You are expected to do your work quickly, efficiently, and accurately. This doesn't seem to be an unreasonable requirement to me, but I know some people aren't cut out for stricter work environments. The CEO is a very nice man who seems to really care about the company's perception. Overall I have had a wonderful experience working here, especially when it comes to working with upper management. The managers at corporate are kind, hard-working people who want to help you succeed. They are great at providing feedback when necessary and don't feel the need to wait for a yearly review.

Cons

As most reviews have stated, the benefits package here is awful, doesn't matter if you are salary or hourly, the benefits stink.
    The one policy I have any kind of an issue with is the termination policy. I believe people have a right to know why they are being let go. It gives them the chance to take that information and use it to improve themselves at their next job.

Advice to Management

It would be great to foster more of a company morale. There are no Christmas parties, company picnics, casual Fridays or anything like that. It might be nice to kick back and get to know one another in a more relaxed environment.
    Most everything else is doing great, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to work for Cottonwood Financial!

It was helpful for career growth but not a career company!

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great and the annual 1-3% inflation raise was nice!

Cons

Employee benefits were horrible - if you are supporting a family you may as well just look into obamacare! There was no company culture - no casual days, no holiday parties, frowned upon when using time off, good luck ever getting away for more than 2 days! The method of training employees could have been better instead of handing out a SOP and saying "do this, do that, then that, let me know when you are done"

Advice to Management

For the growth cottonwood has made and continues to make year in and year out, reward your employees some. Spice up your employee benefits package, and work better on retaining productive workers for the long haul.

RSS Feed </> Embed