CouchSurfing Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Tony Espinoza

Amazing company, idea and office. But poorly managed

Former Employee - DevOps Eng in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - DevOps Eng in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, people, love, team. Work is really interesting, and there was a lot to improve, and build why was really exciting! The office is really cozy, feels like a huge living room with couches everywhere Company retreat every year

Cons

Really poorly managed by people that did NOT understand what CouchSurfing culture and idea really is. They're managing it heartlessly and kept firing and hiring all the time.

Advice to Management

Good benefits package, dental health vision Lunch & dinner every weekday Unlimited paid time off (based on agreement with manager)

Fabulous people & meaningful work

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, great pay & benefits, excellent food, puppy-friendly, great warehouse space in Potrero Hill.

Cons

You'll put on weight due to the excellent food! A smaller team means that there is a lot of work to be done - work / life balance can sometimes suffer.

Lack of certainty and direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is phenomenal The office is open and airy, with swings, ping pong table, and plants/trees A really cool platform that creates a great community

Cons

More than one mass layoff and several other firings made for a company culture where employees wonder whether they would also suddenly find themselves unemployed one day Revenue model ideas that changed on a weekly basis made for uncertainty

Speechless...

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time

Pros

Nice people, handmade chef meal for lunch and dinner, spacious fun office, competitive compensation.

Cons

Definitely capital ruined this place. Bunch of employees got fired suddenly including people just got hired within a month. I don't think this company has clear vision and strategy to generate revenue to pay back to VC unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Please do not forget there are actual people who love doing Couchsurfing all over the world. This is about being curious, making a connection and giving them more than you took.

Future not looking good for this company.

I worked at CouchSurfing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great food - Friendly people - Didn't feel like you were a slave to the man - Chill, open vibe

Cons

All of the pros were remnants of the previous regime. Capital ruined this place.

Advice to Management

Transparency rules all.

7. new and awesome challenges everyday that keep me learning and growing as an engineer

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really love the people I work with. The other engineers are extremely talented and I learn from them every single day. The work is challenging and I constantly feel like I'm pushing the limits of my abilities and growing professionally as a result. The swings in the office are a great place to meditate on a hard problem you're chewing on, and if that doesn't do it surely a game of ping pong will. Most people in the office have a standing desk and we also have a 'living room' full of couches, so you never have to sit at the same boring desk day after day. We've started doing Tech Talk Tuesdays twice a month where someone presents a new language/framework/concept during lunch. The food is great. Like most people here, our chef is really, really good at what he does.

Cons

I love my work so much, that sometimes its hard to balance out other parts of my life. I find myself staying up through the night and hacking gleefully away on weekends to nail the projects I'm working on. Let me be completely clear: This is NOT because I feel pressure from management to work a lot. Its because the management creates an environment where the engineers are encouraged to build stuff, and to take pride in what you've built. The work-life balance thing is important though, so I guess this is a Con. But I can think of worse problems to have.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Its going to be an amazing year for Couchsurfing =]

A good company to work for.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Every day that I step through the front doors of the office, I feel relaxed. I can genuinely say that I *enjoy* working here. - The people that I work with are talented, interesting, and fun. No exceptions. - The food is high quality. - We are working on a product that is creating genuine, real-life connections between strangers. That's core to Couchsurfing's mission. Despite the drastic changes that I've witnessed in the past few years at this company, I haven't seen our focus on that mission waver. - Couchsurfing's users are awesome. The majority of them are appreciative, involved, and caring. I feel so lucky to be working on a product that my friends love and use every day. - Management has successfully rejuvenated a company that was stagnating a few years ago. While the firings that have happened here since I arrived make me sad, it's clear that CS is doing very well with the new direction it has taken. - As an engineer, I have lots of opportunities to learn and grow at Couchsurfing. I have the opportunity to work on interesting, unique, and challenging projects with extremely talented colleagues. - My coworkers are very knowledgable and the managers are excellent mentors. ---- Many of the reviews I've read on this page are very unbalanced -- either they're raving about how CS has changed their lives completely and how this is the best place in the world, or they're complaining about how completely screwed everyone is and that management is Evil. I think it's best to step back, take a deep breath, and think about things from a logical place instead of an emotional one. Couchsurfing isn't a work-utopia where everything's perfect. No company is like that. Layoffs will happen from time to time, and they're not ever going to be fun. As an engineer, I haven't experienced the "culture of fear" that other reviewers allude to. It might have something to do with the economy in Silicon Valley right now -- there are many many choices out there for engineers. Getting fired isn't a massive setback, and it's difficult to find and retain good engineers. We get treated well. My non-engineering colleagues, however, also seem happy and satisfied with their jobs.

Cons

- Couchsurfing is undergoing a painful transition from not-for-profit to silicon-valley startup. In my time here, there have been three rounds of layoffs. They weren't fun. People that I have a lot of respect for got fired. (Thankfully, I still get to see them often, and in most cases, they have moved on to other interesting things. They are all still leading happy lives.) - Some members of the Couchsurfing community (the people that we make the website for!) are very loud and grumpy about the changes we make. This is inevitable when you have an engaged community, but sometimes it's difficult to watch a feature you've worked on get torn apart by angry users. - Like one of the other reviewers mentioned, I'm not a big fan of the fact that we recently removed the community postcards from the walls. Also, I liked the "live your dream, share your passion" poster. It'd be nice if we put those back. (To be fair, though, we replaced both with pictures of our community at Couchsurfing events. So we still get to see people in our community doing awesome things, which I find somewhat inspiring.) - Occasionally I feel that there is a communication barrier between management and employees. It goes both ways: When someone gets fired, the rest of the company doesn't get much warning and I feel blindsided. In the other direction, sometimes people get upset or confused about things and gossip about it with each other instead of bringing it up to management. I want to be careful to say that this is not the norm, just something that I've seen happen from time to time.

Advice to Management

You have a very difficult job, and I think you're doing it well. Please be careful to not surprise employees with big changes. And please encourage us to tell you ASAP if we aren't satisfied with something.

A fascinating experiment to be a part of

Current Employee - Web Applications Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Applications Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You already know this if you've read the reviews, but it can't be said enough — the food is fabulous, the office is beautiful and sunny, and our office is full of thoughtful, intelligent and talented people. You get to contribute to a product that changes people's lives and makes the world a better place, and I say this as a hardened cynic. Management is receptive and accessible, and while there are layers of bureaucracy, they're thin. The paid time off policy is pretty rad (although it isn't actually "unlimited")

Cons

Couchsurfing isn't run by hippies anymore. It's run by people whose primary experience has been in more traditionally commercial arenas, and it shows. Couchsurfing has worked in the past because of a community of people who stepped in to fill gaps left by the technology, which were (and continue to be) enormous. The upside of this is a global community that is extremely engaged and passionate about Couchsurfing. The downside of this is difficulty to scale, constant internecine warfare, and a system that *kind of* worked, but only for a certain type of person. The new management doesn't believe the community should be the main force that keeps the site running, and they are intent on replacing lots of functions that used to be served by the community with technology. I personally think this is a bad idea, but management is honest about it, and I am willing to be party to this experiment to see if it works. Also, from a technical perspective, you're swimming upstream against massive amounts of technical debt the day you start, and while there is lots of institutional support for fixing it, things move so fast that it's hard to get a foothold against it.

Advice to Management

Don't talk trash about people that are critical of the company's new direction within earshot of all the employees. Also, don't talk trash about "anarchists" and "the occupy movement" as if you can safely assume all of your employees have the same opinion about those things. Assume there is political diversity in your workplace and act accordingly.

10. The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-From the beginning I have felt empowered to expand my role, take on more responsibility, and challenge myself. -Upper management has been nothing but transparent with me since I started. Yes they expect a high level of performance and yes they fire people who underperform. This is because they are building a company where you are surrounded by the best employees in the city. Every team member should be astounding. -Culture is at the forefront of upper management's mind. There are weekly activities from volleyball league, to offsite happy hours. The meals, as pretty much everyone here has mentioned, are incredible. Free lunch and dinner by a stellar chef? Yes please. Cooking for palio, vegetarian, vegan, picky diets? You bet. -We are working towards something meaningful and inspired. The old website was clunky and problematic. We are building a new one that will make Couchsurfing easier and more fulfilling, whilst opening it up to a whole new audience. -Great equipment, and facilites. They make sure you have everything you need. -The people here truly care about one another. My best friends work here beside me, and I feel like I have finally found my home. I wake up excited to come here everyday.

Cons

-The office needs more bathrooms. There is always a line and it is annoying -The heating and cooling is a little wonky. Upstairs area is a sauna. -You have to be careful not to spend too much time here!

Advice to Management

Getting fired is hard. Many of the reviews here are from people who have felt the sting of a recent layoff from a company they poured their heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into. But their opinions do not truly describe what its like to work here now. My advice to management is keep doing what you are doing. Remember that everyone who is here now, wants to be. In all that entails. Keep treating us with the respect we have come to expect.

The biggest 180 I have ever witnessed a company take

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people you work closely with on a day to day basis are phenomenal. They are fun, they feel like family, and most everybody is bursting at the seams with talent. - The free lunches and dinners you share with your coworkers are better than anything you could possibly get at a nearby restaurant. The main chef is extremely talented and tries very hard to meet the wildly varying dietary restrictions of the employees. - The office space is *incredible*. Very open and cozy, very anti-cube, completely lit by the sun through the skylights during the day. It's a fantastic building, and has been seriously decked out to be a wonderful place to spend your working days.

Cons

- I can not even begin to stress these three words enough: *Culture Of Fear!* Senior management actually uses the phrase, "If you are not excellent, you will be fired" in the *new hire orientation!* ...I can't make this stuff up, folks. - They have fired *many* talented individuals with little to no notice in recent months. Almost all of the people fired have been the "old-timers" who had a very strong and passionate love for what Couchsurfing has historically stood for and meant to its community members.. which is far from a coincidence. - Senior Management claims that the grass roots, "meaningful connections" culture that CS was founded on is still the vision, but it feels as genuine as record company executives claiming that they're in it for the art. There appears to be no interest in the community as a collection of individuals who have shared amazing experiences through this service - instead the loyal community is viewed as data points for future monetization, and really nothing more. It would be foolish to think that a company would never have financial interest in mind, but it is a sad day when Couchsurfing has also lost its heart. - There used to be cork bulletin boards on the walls, with countless postcards from members thanking Couchsurfing for changing their lives and being a positive part of their experiences. All been taken down. There used to be art on the walls, and posters which inspired you to "live your dream, and share your passion." All been taken down. *Why* make such a bold and drastic statement? It speaks volumes to the fact that management isn't even *pretending* to the employees that they care about the culture anymore. It's worse than apathy, it's rubbing it in our faces.

Advice to Management

-- Don't remove the art and inspiration from the walls. It shows your true colors. -- Listen to your community. They know what made Couchsurfing special, and you clearly do not. -- Stop firing talented people who actually care about Couchsurfing. They will add more value in the members' eyes than all the trendy Rails development in the world could ever dream about. -- Couchsurfing can have a heart without jeopardizing your equity value. If you TRULY do your best to keep Couchsurfing's soul alive, the value (both monetary and otherwise) of the company will soar higher than you could ever imagine.

RSS Feed </> Embed