CouchSurfing

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014

3.1

Tony Espinoza

Amazing company, idea and office. But poorly managed

Former Employee - DevOps Eng  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - DevOps Eng in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Amazing company culture, people, love, team.
    Work is really interesting, and there was a lot to improve, and build why was really exciting!
    The office is really cozy, feels like a huge living room with couches everywhere
    Company retreat every year

Cons

Really poorly managed by people that did NOT understand what CouchSurfing culture and idea really is.
    They're managing it heartlessly and kept firing and hiring all the time.

Good benefits package, dental health vision
    Lunch & dinner every weekday
    Unlimited paid time off (based on agreement with manager)

Fabulous people & meaningful work

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, great pay & benefits, excellent food, puppy-friendly, great warehouse space in Potrero Hill.

Cons

You'll put on weight due to the excellent food!
    A smaller team means that there is a lot of work to be done - work / life balance can sometimes suffer.

Lack of certainty and direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The food is phenomenal

The office is open and airy, with swings, ping pong table, and plants/trees

A really cool platform that creates a great community

Cons

More than one mass layoff and several other firings made for a company culture where employees wonder whether they would also suddenly find themselves unemployed one day

Revenue model ideas that changed on a weekly basis made for uncertainty

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Time to go back to the roots that created this awesome community

Former Employee - Programmer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Here are some of the good things about this company:
    Great Chef
    Great Office
    Good Pay
    Awesome product
    Talented Team
    Phenomenal Passionate Community

Cons

Here are some of the things I did not like:
    Lack of Clear direction
    Upper Management takes no Responsibility: blames, fire and rehire.
    The last two years the new Management TOTALLY 'missed the boat'

Take responsibility of your fault and stop blaming all us employees that had trouble keeping up with lack of direction all the time.

Speechless...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nice people, handmade chef meal for lunch and dinner, spacious fun office, competitive compensation.

Cons

Definitely capital ruined this place. Bunch of employees got fired suddenly including people just got hired within a month. I don't think this company has clear vision and strategy to generate revenue to pay back to VC unfortunately.

Please do not forget there are actual people who love doing Couchsurfing all over the world. This is about being curious, making a connection and giving them more than you took.

Future not looking good for this company.

Pros

- Great food
    - Friendly people
    - Didn't feel like you were a slave to the man
    - Chill, open vibe

Cons

All of the pros were remnants of the previous regime. Capital ruined this place.

Transparency rules all.

Learned a lot in a short amount of time

Pros

My coworkers were passionate, intelligent and committed to solving challenging problems that affect millions of people's everyday lives.

Cons

There was a difficult period in the team's integrity when the new CEO, Tony Espinoza, came on board and adopted a higher set of standards and expectations of everyone. Some of the veteran employees didn't adapt to the cultural shift and there were some bitter endings.

A Short Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Great Perks
    -Inspiring Office Environment
    -Good Food
    -Great Balance Between Work and Play
    -Flat Structure
    -Skilled Fantastic People Working There
    -Tony the CEO is a very Cool Guy!

It was fantastic to work at Couchsurfing. However, my whole team got laid off due to change of focus. Couchsurfing in itself is a very cool concept that I believe is making a significant change in this world!

Cons

-Lack of Direction
    -Recent Change from the Original Founders to a new CEO created Massive Layoffs and I think they lost trust and momentum.
    -Uncertain Future
    -Reliant on Investors to operate at current capacity
    -Lost the passion that shined from the Original Crew

The new management was not honest with the employees. And it seemed that the managements solution to problems was always to hire or fire, rather than effectively directing and managing the current staff. In my short time there, I saw people come and go on a weekly basis.

They also favored a particular culture or skill sets rather than embracing different types of employees, which the original Couchsurfing was all about.

Good luck! You need it...

A Company that Lost its Soul

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Great benefits
    -A typical Generic Silicon Valley Company
    -Lots of Employees from reputable companies such as Apple etc.
    -Many great talents
    -The CEO Tony is a very nice guy and a joy to work with.

Cons

-If you looking for a different company with extraordinary values and the diversity Couchsurfing community represented, this is not your company. Don’t get fooled by their ‘we are different’ marketing. However, if you looking for a crowd that all think a like. Go for it!

-There are a lot of “know it all” and big Egos in the middle management that will quickly resign their ideas to blame others for the failures they constantly make. Lots of Politics here!

-As you can see from reviews the new management was not happy with the old employees. They are also bad mouthing their performance. How can you bad mouth someone who created the biggest social travel site in the world with over 5 million members? Did any of you new employees do that? Any takers?

-You can read from these reviews the new crew seem very intolerant to what they call hippies? That’s showing a very intolerant attitude towards a diverse culture Couchsurfing is, and if you read reviews online you will find upset previous members that feel the new management is very incompetent.

-Yes, they were “hippies”, that didn’t know what they were doing and got screwed by the investors. They worked for free for many years and had real passion for this community.

-Take away the salary lets see how much time the “new crew” is putting out.

-The management is very insecure and not flexible to understand other types of values than numbers on a spreadsheet. (I guess thats what you’re hired to do)

-Stop blaming the old system for errors. That is getting old. You have had 1 1/2 Years to change things around. Your “new” product such as place pages is worse than the old one. Thats just to show how “bad” job the old members did.

-I understand a new management wanted to hire their own crew. However, it could have been done in a less sneaky way. You could have communicated directly to people instead of giving them no indication of what was going on. I think that’s why it created such resentment. This could have gone down very differently.

-And if you fail to reach your goal don’t blame the hippies and don’t give the investors the copout “8 of 10 Startups fail.. not our fault, we did the best we could. Lets find another job!” Couchsurfing has been around for over 7 years and it’s not a startup.

new and awesome challenges everyday that keep me learning and growing as an engineer

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I really love the people I work with. The other engineers are extremely talented and I learn from them every single day. The work is challenging and I constantly feel like I'm pushing the limits of my abilities and growing professionally as a result. The swings in the office are a great place to meditate on a hard problem you're chewing on, and if that doesn't do it surely a game of ping pong will. Most people in the office have a standing desk and we also have a 'living room' full of couches, so you never have to sit at the same boring desk day after day. We've started doing Tech Talk Tuesdays twice a month where someone presents a new language/framework/concept during lunch. The food is great. Like most people here, our chef is really, really good at what he does.

Cons

I love my work so much, that sometimes its hard to balance out other parts of my life. I find myself staying up through the night and hacking gleefully away on weekends to nail the projects I'm working on. Let me be completely clear: This is NOT because I feel pressure from management to work a lot. Its because the management creates an environment where the engineers are encouraged to build stuff, and to take pride in what you've built. The work-life balance thing is important though, so I guess this is a Con. But I can think of worse problems to have.

Keep up the good work. Its going to be an amazing year for Couchsurfing =]

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!