CouchSurfing Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

A great idea going quickly down the drain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Group meals and fun office space.

Cons

Gross mis-management issues destroying the unique vibe and replacing it with a culture of fear and "Yes Men". When I started, this seemed like the best job ever. Even in just the year or so that I've been here I've seen the company rapidly decline. Any sort of mission or vision focus has been completely erased. Most of the original people have quit or been let go through regular mass layoffs. Those who have managed to hang on to their jobs have learned to do whatever the head guy tells them to and not to ask questions. My job is no longer about making decisions or creating, it's about pushing buttons. I just hope I can hang on to it long enough to find a new one elsewhere. There's no passion here any longer. I hope the Couchsurfing community finds a way to survive with CS or without.

Advice to Management

Best of luck to you. I hope I can leap frog onto the next job before you fire me.

Mismanaged startup with big issues

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, unique headquarters, on site chef, travel benefits.

Cons

Low salaries, top-down management, frequent unexpected firings/layoffs, lack of direction or leadership, unwilling to be honest with themselves about poor results, lost touch with product's core community/beginnings. Nearly every original employee of CouchSurfing has quit or been laid off in a very short period of time in 2012 (since the organizational transition that took place in April 2012) due to either poor engineering management and disenchantment with how much the organization's lost touch with its roots.

3. Never has my workplace felt so much like home, in a good way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastically talented, passionate, and dedicated colleagues that are as much friends as coworkers. Fun yet focused atmosphere in the workplace. Regular social outings with colleagues which we all enjoy. We are aligned in our view of the possibilities and real change we are creating in the world every day; that bond makes work a joy. Lunch and dinner every day by a holistic-health oriented chef. Lots of creative collaboration.

Cons

It's easy to make CouchSurfing your whole life, so we strive to get ourselves out regularly!

RSS Feed </> Embed