Couche-Tard

2.3

Couche-Tard Chairman, President, and CEO Alain Bouchard
Alain Bouchard

Great team

I have been working at Couche-Tard part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Simple job (too simple?)
    The team is really what kept me working there

Cons

Repetitive and pretty cold. Though to get used to

Don't work for Circle K

Current Employee - Cashier in Loveland, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Loveland, OH

I have been working at Couche-Tard

Pros

The customers are the reason I have stayed so long. I also like working 3rd shift. I also like everyones personality that I work with. We just need the teamwork. We also have a very fair boss.

Cons

In order for me to get my 40 hours I have to work three 3rd shifts and two 1st shifts. Some of the employees don't keep up on stocking. Theres definately no team work at the store I work at. They have this lame program called SEAL basically you sign it everyday and say what your going to do that day then you get evaluated. You dont get nothing if you get a good evaluation. Some corporate dummy thought it was a good idea. You only get a raise once a year and it only goes up to a quarter!!! There insurance isn't worth having. Your complaints don't get taken care of. But they keep coming up with more things that they want there employee to do for them. But they need to compensate the employees. This company just wants to have cheap waged employees. I worked for the company for 2 yrs all I recieveds was a lame pin I could put on my nametag. That read Service for 2 yrs a letter saying how much they apperciate me. 3rd year recieved nothing. There handbook needs redone. There are alot of things in it that aren't true. I had a brother in-law pass away in it your suposed to get payed for days you missed up to three. I missed two did I get payed no. I have worked with the company for 3 yrs. Do I get 2 weeks paid vacation no it goes by a percentage of hours worked. We have to tolerate alot of stuff from customers especially about prices. Let the corporate people work in a real busy Circle K for 2 weeks and let them see how much they like the job.

There should be 2 people per shift. There should be a checklist for each shift on what needs to be done the employee should also have to intial it. There should be a policy where 3 strikes your fired. Give the employees a incentive to stay working with circle k. Give them a extra raise for every year worked. Give the employees discounts on merchandise. Show the employees you care and they will care about your business. Little incentives like a paid day off or sick days. I have worked with them for 3 yrs and have called off maybe 4 times. Due to illness or death in family. That kind of stuff needs rewarded. Prepay all pumps you won't have to worry about driveoffs!!!

Quick to loose your seniority

I worked at Couche-Tard

Pros

nice people, nice team, nice place to work if you don`t expect to be there for too long

Cons

I have been there for ten years... when the minimum salary go up... they didn`t bring my salary up... resulting of the new hire was now paid the same that I work hard to get.

Look at your senior in a better way

Could be better

I have been working at Couche-Tard part-time

Pros

-Easy to get in to
    -Doesn't take up a whole lot of investment to get a franchised store
    -Good staff

Cons

-Employees are poorly compensated for their efforts and hard work. And too much politics seem to be in effect in the head office. District managers seem to have favourites and everybody knows how that goes.

-Compensate your Managers and dealers better and get rid of the politics then you will have way less turn over.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Couche-Tard part-time

Pros

Good atmosfear, easy to get the job

Cons

Heavy atmosfear, a bit dangerous when you're alone.

Working at circle k/ couche tard you work for dictators.

I have been working at Couche-Tard part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible shifts,
    you get to meet and create relationships with customers.
    Not many positives at all.

Cons

- Horrible shifts, no rotations.
    - Horrible pay
    - Absolutely disgusting how company treats their employees
    - Dangles job over head
    - They start to promote you, then they never actually follow through
    - Pitiful "raises"
    - No recognition (I pick up everyone else's slack, have recieved most of the mystery shops in my 3 years and have 100% on everyone of them, customers and I have great relationships, I'm extremely friendly and out going, I go above and beyond expectations)
    - There's favoritism (Previous manager favored the laziest and pathetic employee due to sharing same religion)
    - You have no voice or opinion
    - No outside work environment activities or functions
    - Basically no incentives
    - Can not wait to graduate my post-secondary education so I can leave this job
    - No respect, and there is NO "fun" as they say in their motto.
    - Unsafe working conditions - Their should NEVER be only one person working alone, especially at night, and when you're a young female. (Usually alone from 4-2 hours a night and have been forced to work over nights which is 10 hours alone)
    - Made to work very late at night and then made to work very early in the morning the next day.
    - Nothing is done about harassment and discrimination (Have been sexually harassed MANY times and even when I was a minor when this happened, it was reported to my manager and he didn't do anything about it, verbally abused by regular customers, bullied by customers, being stalked multiple times, being cornered outside when taking out garbages, discriminated for being a female doing manual labor outside (Ice scraping, snow shoveling and we get ice storms here and extreme blizzards with multiple feet of snow at a time all the time during the winter) )
    - No hotline to report things anonymously
    - This is honestly the WORST job and the WORST company I have ever worked for and it is disgraceful

I would share my advice, but as all the other employees know, they do not care as long as they are getting their nice big checks they don't want anything but cash flow and they don't mind stepping all over us to get it.
    You need to turn this company around, all you have is BAD reviews about working for this company. There needs to be a third party intervention to stop this unethical way of managing and treatment of employees. We aren't just drones, one day things are going to flip on you and leave you high and dry.

Terrible, poorly organized company.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Summerland, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Summerland, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Couche-Tard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company that is always reorganizing so some opportunities if you are willing to travel. Not too much micromanagement from above, and minimal reporting work.

Cons

Terrible, unreliable pay system, good luck getting any fixed if it breaks. Most stores are old and grungy. Company wants growth but is unwilling to commit anything to make it happen.

Listen to the advice you ask for.

Not too happy

Former Employee - Quebec in Brossard, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Quebec in Brossard, QC (Canada)

I worked at Couche-Tard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with work schedule, indoor work with air conditioning, direct payroll, 20% employee discount on most merchandise in store, Employee discount on some products at participating merchants affiliated to Couche-Tard,

Cons

Not many employee benefits other than employee discounts and unreachable mystery shopper monthly reward, Low pay(minimum wage).Rude,difficult and demanding customers. Demanding manager who's seldom understanding. Standing for long hours. Broken washroom door lock .

Be nice to your employees

Sales Associate - Circle K location

I worked at Couche-Tard part-time

Pros

Easy job
    Not much expected of you

Cons

Low pay (minimum wage)
    Work all days including Christmas

Good student job during the summer

Former Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Couche-Tard part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No experience required, no skills required

Cons

Bad salary, no union allowed in most places.