Council On International Educational Exchange

3.5
James P. Pellow

1. Fantastic work environment

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange

Pros

This is an incredibly collaborative place - lots of relaxed lunch meetings, spontaneous brainstorming on a white board, etc. My coworkers were passionate about study abroad, and believe it or not, we actually had fun at work. There was a great atmosphere; the layout of the building is very open (there are a few cubicles, of course) and we could easily chat with each other. Very flexible, fun company culture. Highly recommend.

Cons

I was a temporary employee, so I can't say much here.

Have more opportunities for interns. This would be a great learning experience for college students during the summer.

2. Great but ....

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CIEE is providing great educational opportunities in the U.S. and worldwide, and have supported many students and professionals, undoubtedly changing their lives forever and opening doors that otherwise would not have opened.

Cons

Local career opportunities and benefits in the field offices do not match or even close to those working in the head office in the U.S. Company now is turning into a corporation with non-profit salaries. Travel opportunities are far less than people would otherwise expect.

3. Good place to work

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- good mission statement, more of a focus on mission though Intercultural training
    - connections with international staff and universities around the US
    - Portland, Maine
    - smart, interesting, hardworking staff, young staff with lots of social events
    - great benefits and good pay
    - amazing place to grow professionally

Cons

- ability to move up depends on manager/department (ask about this in the interview)
    - not enough time/money for a lot of innovation
    - work space is constantly in a flux and can be uncomfortable
    - not much company wide communication around the vision for CIEE
    - many work too hard, there is too much stress

Find ways to recognize employees for hard work and innovation- allow time and space for innovation. Foster an environment of appreciation and ensure all employees are healthy and happy.

5. A wonderful organization that invests as much into its employees as its programs.

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative, high morale atmosphere. I've never been anywhere where I've looked forward to going to work, and seen that sentiment shared among my colleagues. Great benefits package, too, in addition to many fringe benefits.

Cons

Because the field we're working in (study abroad programs) has been and is changing drastically, I'm somewhat nervous about the organization staying afloat. A recent merger with a similar org was announced with few details; I would appreciate more proactive communication from management in what direction the Council is going.

See above

6. Great non-profit to gain experience in an office setting with travel opportunities in many positions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Pros

-Great downtown office
    -Gym on-site
    - walk to work from the east or west end
    - international travel for work
    - great health insurance
    - lots of vacation time
    - work with many talented, educated, well-traveled people in their mid-twenties and thirties

Cons

-Potential for growth is limiting- many lateral moves available
    -long hours at times, salary position
    -low pay
    -difficult to move to management or senior positions

- moving to an open concept was very difficult/ un-enjoyable, no privacy and less productive
    - provide more opportunities to grow, mentor programs with senior staff, more development and tuition reimbursement for continuing education

7. Great company that does amazing work in the field of international education

Former Intern - Alumni in Portland, ME
    Former Intern - Alumni in Portland, ME

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, very relaxed time schedule, great benefits, internationally minded people

Cons

low pay, too complex structure,

simplify structure

Good experience but not a lifetime career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Pros

Great people to work with though a little cliquey
    Great vacation time
    Great experience for those in the international studies field

Cons

Non-profit company that has become to corporate with the new president
    Management doesn't listen to its staff
    HR doesn't work to rectify issues when brought to their attention

Value your employees. The turnover has become huge since the prior president left. Your employees work very hard for not much reward

Poor ethics

Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, ME

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many exchange students to pick from

Cons

Treat employees like slaves, low wages, too many hours, harsh deadlines and impossible quotas

Treat people like people

10. Great Mission, Crazy Leadership

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission and products, glorious travel, loads of smart fun colleagues, leader in field, pretty good compensation, good professional development

Cons

Worklife balance, lack of organizational focus/direction, culture becoming too corporate, high turnover in recent years, not forward thinking enough in terms of leadership, strategy, overall organizational culture and product development

11. The definition of a stable job

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time

Pros

- Wonderful work environment
    - Access to "cool" international experiences; different than just traveling for work because they take GOOD care of you, adorable kids to work with and more fun than just number crunching
    - Great place to be a young professional, Portland is awesome and the office is brand new and beautiful
    - They're the best in the market and the market is burgeoning, so full steam ahead for the business itself
    - It's technically a non-profit which lends a nice background to the culture of the company

Cons

- Not a lot of upward mobility
    - Extremely homogeneous workforce (white women)

- Hire more men