Council On International Educational Exchange

Reset
3.2
James P. Pellow

1. CIEE

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young and friendly atmosphere, immense dedication among staff, sense of mission, fun, great benefits

Cons

The pay is rather poor

2. Good work but pays nothing

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time

Pros

Great benefits, some occasional travel if you're lucky, summer/winter Fridays, good location, good parties

Cons

Pays next to nothing, no upwards movement, only lateral movement. Inconsistent office/work space, high turnover

Advice to Management

Stop making excuses as to why you can't pay us a living wage, let us move UP!

3. Resident Coordinator

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, great colleagues with international background.

Cons

After working for two years, there was no job growth opportunities. The salary was poor.

Great colleagues but poor work culture with high turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange (Less than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, many of whom are young and have extensive international experience. Not a demanding job so good work/life balance.

Cons

Poor management, low salaries, company not invested in employees' future and work isn't challenging resulting in high turnover.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.

Company culture being destroyed. Turnover continues.

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of CIEE is excellent and very compelling. This is what attracts employees to the company. Downtown location is very nice. CIEE is full of great people in the ranks.

Cons

The not-so-new management of CIEE is steadily dismantling the culture of what used to be a great place to work. CIEE lost one of the best VPs the organization has - a 20 year veteran who was pushed out by the new CEO. This was a huge loss which was blow to the morale of the workers. The marketing group was hollowed out shortly after this because of the complete disregard for their work and the totally insane workload. A 10 year veteran was terminated and walked out of the building without even a chance to say goodbye to colleagues. All this while the CEO and his henchmen hold cheerleading meetings with the company telling us how amazing they are. Management does not care that staff view themselves as overworked, stretched, dumped on, disrespected.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover for what it is - a testament to the poor leadership of this organization. Listen to employees, treat them with respect, care about what people think.

Not paid enough

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange

Pros

Great fun benefits, like talent shows, gelato parties, a gym in the basement, yummy coffee, good health care, etc. Great people work here.

Cons

CIEE has many programs, and A LOT of money. Unfortunately, coordinators are paid very poorly. There is a huge turnover rate. Coordinators are expected to go above and beyond (and are really the backbone of the organization), but our salaries are a slap in the face. Many people work at CIEE because of its reputation) a job here looks great on a resume), but most coordinators feel overworked and underappreciated.

Advice to Management

Pay your hardworking employees more

8. Product & Events Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative work environment with professional and friendly coworkers

Cons

My last year with CIEE was in 2007 (which I could not select in Glassdoor), and I left because management did not indicate that they were invested or interested in my future at CIEE following their move to Portland, ME.

Okay at first

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange

Pros

Meeting people from all over the world

Cons

Too demanding; no respect from upper management; unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Without your hard working Local Coordinators out in the field, you would not have a job. Listen to your LCs; respect your LCs.

Fantastic work environment

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange

Pros

This is an incredibly collaborative place - lots of relaxed lunch meetings, spontaneous brainstorming on a white board, etc. My coworkers were passionate about study abroad, and believe it or not, we actually had fun at work. There was a great atmosphere; the layout of the building is very open (there are a few cubicles, of course) and we could easily chat with each other. Very flexible, fun company culture. Highly recommend.

Cons

I was a temporary employee, so I can't say much here.

Advice to Management

Have more opportunities for interns. This would be a great learning experience for college students during the summer.

Great but ....

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CIEE is providing great educational opportunities in the U.S. and worldwide, and have supported many students and professionals, undoubtedly changing their lives forever and opening doors that otherwise would not have opened.

Cons

Local career opportunities and benefits in the field offices do not match or even close to those working in the head office in the U.S. Company now is turning into a corporation with non-profit salaries. Travel opportunities are far less than people would otherwise expect.

RSS Feed </> Embed