Council On International Educational Exchange

James P. Pellow

1. Volunteer tutor

Former Employee - English Tutor in Roxbury, MA
    Former Employee - English Tutor in Roxbury, MA

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange (Less than a year)

Pros

Cultural immersion, eye opening experience

Cons

Unorganized at times but that is expected while traveling abroad

Advice to Management

Keep on being great!

Study abroad in turmoil

Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange (More than 5 years)

Pros

The study abroad department of CIEE was once well respected in the field and seen as a very desirable place to work if you were in international education. This is a plus to have on a resume and good experience. The staff who manage the centers are interesting and very talented. On the occasion that the staff in Portland get to meet the international staff, it is a very cool exhange of cultures.

Cons

In the past years there has been pressure to grow the study abroad part of the organization. Ths would not normally be a bad thing except that it has been done with complete disregard for the quality of the programs and the staff who work here. This is all catching up to the organziation as many long time Universities have stopped or slowed down sending students to CIEE and the amazing international staff is starting to leave in large numbers.The turn over referenced in other posts on this site has started within the study abroad group: the COO of study abroad resigned a few weeks ago and was forced to leave on the day. This has left us in the hands of the CEO who everyone knows is the force behind the problems at CIEE. His hunger for "revenue" drives every decision. It is not a place for principled individuals who believe in the mission.

Advice to Management

The attitutde among the staff of CIEE is a resigned apathy that there is nothing to be done. So many colleagues are sending out resumes but many need or want to stay in Portland so they are trapped. My advice to management is to look at what the "grow at all costs" mentality is doing to the culture and values of tthe company. Put some reigns on the CEO or he will drive study abroad into the ground.

Good work but pays nothing

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time

Pros

Great benefits, some occasional travel if you're lucky, summer/winter Fridays, good location, good parties

Cons

Pays next to nothing, no upwards movement, only lateral movement. Inconsistent office/work space, high turnover

Advice to Management

Stop making excuses as to why you can't pay us a living wage, let us move UP!

Resident Coordinator

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, great colleagues with international background.

Cons

After working for two years, there was no job growth opportunities. The salary was poor.

Bad direction

Current Employee - Coordinator in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at CIEE has has been positive in some ways: my colleagues seem to really care about international education. There is a supportive network of people at my level who have good ideas and work very hard to do the right thing. There are many small events and perks for employees like coffee breaks, happy hours, and days off in the summer. The overall goal of helping students study abroad makes the job interesting.

Cons

The management of the company is only focused on "sales." There is little concern about getting high quality students on the programs. CIEE seems willing to accept anyone as long as they have the money to pay. Because CIEE invested millions in one site, it seems like all we do is try so push students to Berlin. The focus of giving away scholarships is good but in order to do this staff do not get the bonuses they deserve. The goals are basically unachievable and the team gets very demotivated. Leaders are interchangeable and leave regularly. Our department head who seemed to advocate for us had been at CIEE for 10 years when he moved on. His boss quit and was forced to leave on the same day. This atmosphere creates a really difficult work environment around the office.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping stability in the organization. Set goals that teams can achieve and focus more on matching students with programs that are right for them. Give junior teams better salaries and bonuses first and then think about giving out perks. Someone should seriously question the management about the way they are managing CIEE - it feels like we are disposeable employees who are only there to make more money for the executives.

CIEE

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young and friendly atmosphere, immense dedication among staff, sense of mission, fun, great benefits

Cons

The pay is rather poor

Great colleagues but poor work culture with high turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange (Less than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, many of whom are young and have extensive international experience. Not a demanding job so good work/life balance.

Cons

Poor management, low salaries, company not invested in employees' future and work isn't challenging resulting in high turnover.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.

Company culture being destroyed. Turnover continues.

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of CIEE is excellent and very compelling. This is what attracts employees to the company. Downtown location is very nice. CIEE is full of great people in the ranks.

Cons

The not-so-new management of CIEE is steadily dismantling the culture of what used to be a great place to work. CIEE lost one of the best VPs the organization has - a 20 year veteran who was pushed out by the new CEO. This was a huge loss which was blow to the morale of the workers. The marketing group was hollowed out shortly after this because of the complete disregard for their work and the totally insane workload. A 10 year veteran was terminated and walked out of the building without even a chance to say goodbye to colleagues. All this while the CEO and his henchmen hold cheerleading meetings with the company telling us how amazing they are. Management does not care that staff view themselves as overworked, stretched, dumped on, disrespected.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover for what it is - a testament to the poor leadership of this organization. Listen to employees, treat them with respect, care about what people think.

Not paid enough

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Pros

Great fun benefits, like talent shows, gelato parties, a gym in the basement, yummy coffee, good health care, etc. Great people work here.

Cons

CIEE has many programs, and A LOT of money. Unfortunately, coordinators are paid very poorly. There is a huge turnover rate. Coordinators are expected to go above and beyond (and are really the backbone of the organization), but our salaries are a slap in the face. Many people work at CIEE because of its reputation) a job here looks great on a resume), but most coordinators feel overworked and underappreciated.

Advice to Management

Pay your hardworking employees more

11. Product & Events Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative work environment with professional and friendly coworkers

Cons

My last year with CIEE was in 2007 (which I could not select in Glassdoor), and I left because management did not indicate that they were invested or interested in my future at CIEE following their move to Portland, ME.

RSS Feed </> Embed