Country Fair Reviews

Reset
2.1
Myron Turfitt
1 Rating

Very accommodating to a college student

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Warren, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Warren, PA

I worked at Country Fair part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, paid training, and easy to move up the ladder from cashier to shift manager to assistant manager

Cons

Minimum wave job; the standard belittling customers give to a cashier working at a gas station; staff members that don't smoke don't really get the breaks to take that smokers do

Advice to Management

Hire more reputable staff members; don't let employees walk all over you and don't play favorites

Crooked company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (But Played Store Manager Without the Pay) in New Castle, PA

I worked at Country Fair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount on food, benefits, mileage reimbursement for training & meetings in erie

Cons

Treat employees like crap , will you store management as fall guys or store employees to cover there own butts. I use to witness our district manager cussing out my stores manager in front of customers. He also use to talk bad about employees to me in ear shot ofntye employee using profanity as well. Customers also would hear this. I witnessed this man fire managers in more then 2 stores so he wouldn't lose his job. While training for manager the company will tell you your employees are theifs and 99% of the time its them. If you have drive offs you will get wrote up or fired but you can't chase them down or make them prepay and if you get there plate number you are NOT allowed to call the police. So no matter what you do your screwed. I had lots and lots of great employees and are glad they left for better employment opportunities.

Advice to Management

Find a job elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Could Use a Union

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at Country Fair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always hiring. Makes a good job while in school, in between jobs, etc. just not a career option. Teaches valuable professional skills (IF you do the job right with emphasis on customer service). Provides extensive management office training. Offers a health care program that is one of the best I have seen. Good food.

Cons

Minimum wage environment for a high-stress job. Store policies and procedures vary according to store sizes, so responsibilities are distributed unevenly at the discretion of store and assistant managers. Politics dictate all promotions, scheduling, awards and sharing of information. Frequently overlooks violations of labor laws such as "call off" policy, breaks, etc. and sexual harassment charges. Worst work atmosphere. Has no whistleblower hotline so all personal complaints have to be publicized.

Advice to Management

Would recommend encouraging better communication and appreciation. If you are an entry level manager who wants to move up, move to the largest store you can find. They usually only promote from those!

5. Dont work here. They will screw you.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Meadville, PA

I worked at Country Fair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good job to meet new people. Thats about it. If you like who you work with.. thats about the only reason to be there.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Start at min wage. Shift managers get 50 cents more for way more work. Assistants only get 9.00 an hour to start. I worked there for six years and made 9 an hour. I started my next job at 11an hour with way less responsibility. You make a dollar an hour more for third shift. So the third shifters who do nothing special made almost as much as I did for running the store and 50 cents more than shift managers... The pressure to keep sales up with increased competition was enormous. And they will fire whole stores instead of seeing where a problem is really coming from. And when they did it to mine the inventory was 10000 short miraculously. Then the next month just as miraculously it was back down to 2000 which is acceptable. I worked my butt off every day there amd gave it all I had just for a computer glitch to screw me.

Advice to Management

Train people better. Train people before they start their position. Pay a rate commensurate with the work. the competition does. I know. I work for them now. Let united refining do their job investigating the money. Cause your "investigations" are a joke. Its just talk to everyone and if you dont like them fire them there and now. Smart business model. And drug tests would probably solve a lot of problems. After you replace two thirds of your workforce that is. Did you know that your own employees call you sheetz for people who cant pass a drug test? The only job worth the pay is store manager. Thats of you can put up with everything without pulling out your hair.

6. been one hell of a ride

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Corry, PA
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Corry, PA

I have been working at Country Fair part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

get to know great people, learnin new things every month

Cons

lot of work with not alot of time to do it in, not enough in pay raises, not enough employees on second shift or third

Advice to Management

if you pay attention to the people who actually work their asses off

7. A learning experience

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Grove City, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Grove City, PA

I have been working at Country Fair

Pros

You learn about teamwork, along with an array of information. How ordering is done and vendors arrive. Skills you can take with you for the future.

Cons

It is very hard to move up and grow in this environment. The pay is low and raises take awhile to kick in.

Advice to Management

The leadership is average but the shared information is terrible. In order to learn anything new you have to ask management about it.

RSS Feed </> Embed