Countrywide Financial

Be The First To
Add Photos

Countrywide Financial CEO Angelo R Mozilo

Angelo R Mozilo

Pros:
  • "The best reason to work for Countrywide is that it is now a part of Bank of America"
    in 5 reviews
  • "cool place to stay but there is no much competence in mgmt good for work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also, work life balance is a non-idea at Countrywide"
    in 5 reviews
  • "You have to be willing to work very hard with no one seeming to notice"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working at the Plano office of Countrywide

Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsThe only reason I would ever want to work at Countrywide again would be the fact that they got bought out by Bank of America. The company name "Bank of America" would be a good stepping stone for people to move into smaller companies with better pay.

ConsI could go on forever about how terrible this place was. The managers never had any work to do, yet they tried to act like they were really busy. The same went for most of the employees here. We were given lots of "drive around the parking lot" work. I felt like I was becoming dumber every day I went in. The work that we were given was hardly ever challenging. The salary and bonuses were also terrible. I would avoid this place at all costs. Bank of America made a dumb move in acquiring this run down company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down the number of VPs and SVPs you have in the company. A 3 to 1 employee to manager ratio is just ridiculous.

Fast paced but room to advance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

Prosgreat advancement opportunites and compensation, very collegial workforce, a number of long term employees, pride in the company, growing fast

Consvery fast paced, never enough staff to do the work needed, seems as if all communications, programs etc were focused on the LCD (i.e. lowest common denominator) employees, short cubicle walls

Advice to Senior Managementto many levels of VPS

Inflated Titles and Lack of Consistency Across Groups

AVP, Internal Audit (Former Employee)

ProsMost people were good people which made the environment nicer. The salary and benefits were in line with similar jobs both in the banking industry and outside.

ConsLack of direction by upper internal audit management. Huge disparity between groups within internal audit from everything to quality of deliverables to time off. The department was very top heavy with lots of elevated titles for people who were doing administrative tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe if all internal audit groups were held to the same standard, some of the things that caused the collapse may have been uncovered sooner.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Worst Job I Ever Had!

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
    Broomall, PA

ProsMet some nice co-workers that I've remained friends with.

ConsWorked Holidays and never received doubletime. We were paid hourly. Management would tell you you could take a day off another time to make up for the extra day. It was a payroll nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only people that made money here were people in top management; otherwise, you are used for the most part.

Bloated middle management layer

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

Proslaid back environment in some offices,

ConsSome offices are like cattle farms, there are too many VPs, SVPs and other middle managers, many of whom don't even have anyone reporting to them

Advice to Senior Managementimprove quality of work environment for lower level workers (below SVP level).

The company that could have been

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Calabasas, CA

ProsDuring the housing boom, Countrywide was one of the fastest growing public companies around. Senior management was probably the most knowledgable about the mortgage industry.

ConsThe different divisions (e.g., mortgage, banking, insurance, etc.) and overhead functions did not work together in the most collaborative and effective way; instead, performance was based on individual achievements. Professionally managed companies make sure that divisions and functions work together, sharing resources and intellectual capital. Countrywide, unfortunately, was not quite there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter risk management and more focus on long-term growth is needed rather than the desire to chase market share.

Poisen

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsOnce BofA Purchased (errrr saved) the company, I could pretty much do whatever I wanted too during the transition. Decent manager, but couldn't answer tough questions

ConsThis place was poisen from the time I walked through the door. The only reason why I even accepted was the market was in the tanks and it was the best option at the time. Sr. leadership was a joke made up of diciples of Angelo Mozilo (ie. the Orange Man).

Advice to Senior ManagementB of A folks weren't much better, they just have deep enough pockets. My advice, don't think becasue someone is a Black Belt in Six Sigma, they have any clue what they are doing. Some of the biggests fools I've ever met had a black belt.

Countrywide - a company that became to greedy

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsThey pay at high rate compared to others.

ConsThere was poor communication with senior leadership
    They did not follow through on quality
    There was not a bias for action
    They did not care about employee retention
    Countrywide's Benefits are weak relative to others in the industry
    Senior Leadership needs to back up employee suggestions and fight for them
    Vacation is low relative to others in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.
    Use facts to make decisions instead of using your gut
    Senior Leadership needs to back up employee suggestions and fight for them
    Senior Leadership needs to focus on employee rentention

Countrywide is not a good company to work for or be a customer of

Senior Suspense Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsIf your homeless, its winter-time and you live in a cold climate. If unable to get government assistance than I would recommend you try getting a job at countrywide.

ConsCountrywide does not pay a living wage and has nothing but contempted for it employees, who get treated even worse than the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should all quit

dont expect much from this employer if you're looking to grow.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsCW pays better than its competitors. You can expect to get paid in average about 5,000 more than other companies. Depends on what department you work for, it could be very intense but you get what paid for working hard.

Conslack of communication between management and employee. Management like to keep what's going on under the carpet and wont discuss with employee until it's exposed on the news.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more with employee. create a mentorship for to help employee grow

Worked for Countrywide Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Countrywide Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Countrywide Financial CEO Angelo R Mozilo. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by Countrywide Financial employees.