Countrywide Financial

Countrywide Financial Reviews

2.7

Countrywide Financial CEO Angelo R Mozilo
Angelo R Mozilo

Pros
  • The best reason to work for Countrywide is that it is now a part of Bank of America (in 5 reviews)

• A lot of the people who work for the company are nice and intelligent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, work life balance is a non-idea at Countrywide (in 5 reviews)

• You have to be willing to work very hard with no one seeming to notice (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Personal Loan Consultant

Current Employee - Personal Loan Consultant in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Personal Loan Consultant in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

They pay really well and fair. I believe the pay will continue to be decent after the completion of the Bank of America merger.

Cons

Burnout usually takes place in 1 to 2 years. Very few can last longer.

We would be really slow and they would make us work mandatory overtime. Get your stuff together.

Work somewhere else if you can.

Current Employee - Insurance Consultant
    Current Employee - Insurance Consultant

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

The people we work with are great. Everyone works hard and has a great work ethic and positive attitude, despite the adversity we're facing.

Cons

Horrible compensation--they just changed our comp plan, and it's basically minimum wage, unless you're able to make your numbers. The numbers are not achievable given the current situation--no one is able to do it right now. My son makes more working at Starbucks, and we work so many hours, I don't have time to look for another job. I feel trapped.

We need help. More and better products to sell, a living wage, tools to expand our business.

RUN!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

now that they are part of Bank of America it may be better- there are many key positions that are held by employees who do not now their job but there are others who do and they make great role models

Cons

some managers lack the skills needed to do their job and the negative press and lack of customer service after the loan has closed makes it difficult to take pride in the company for whom you work . If you are a fvorite it is easier to ge tthings done but if you have peronal issues with management the job is much more difficult

nepotism is not the best method for promotion- this was the case with some managers on the floor while others were truly exemplary. Morale needs to be boosted and honesty is the best policy not subterfuge

Great place to start a career, never a place to finish a career

Former Employee - Lead Business Systems Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Business Systems Analyst in Orlando, FL

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

They were very flexible when it came to taking time off, however this came at a cost at times. Working as a Business Analyst in IT, there were many nights and weekends spent working long hours. However, I was able to advance very quickly from a BA II to a Lead BA within 2 years. There was many opportunities to gain additional education and leadership training that was provided at no cost to the employee. The IT team was great to work with and everyone in each functional area was more than willing to help. Most of the team really worked well together

Cons

The poor leadership at times added to confustion amongst teams which caused problems for project deadlines. Often times there was an unwillingness for IT and the business units to work effectively together, however most projects and relationships were well maintained and business objectives met. There was a major problem with nepotism amongst senior management and individuals that did not contribute to the efforts to meet business needs were often rewarded at the cost of overlooking those who had shown dedication. The company was very large, and for an organization of this side I would imagine it would be tough to please everyone.

Recognize some of the supporting members of the team, no matter what their title. It seemed that VP's and above got preferential treatment through nepotism.

Despite a tough market, Countrywide has been fair in compensating for performance.

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Financial Analysis in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Financial Analysis in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Countrywide compensates very well for individuals willing to work hard. Dispite the downturn in the mortgage industry, the company looks for creative ways to compensate its employees. I was approved for a promotion durning the company's acquisition by Bank of America. While the raise was a little lower than I had hoped, I was still happy the promotion when through in such an adverse environment.

Cons

The downturn in the mortgage industry has led to downsizing in some departments.

None.

Typical southern California company

Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Work/life balance in the position I was in, the corporate offices were generally in nice areas and suburbs, commute times reasonable, nice offices

Cons

Lack of career advancement opportunities, lack of recognition of superior work, geographic separation of management and staff leads to the 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality.

Prepare for a culture shock with the BOA acquisition, and be open to change. Recognize that structure and organization are a good thing.

Although Countrywide is not more, the direction under Bank of America is positive.

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Business Systems Analysis in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

The people. Everyone is smart, professional and willing to do what it takes to get the job done. Most people care about the company and the direction it takes. They care about the customers and ensure that we are always doing the right the thing.

Cons

Sr. Management doesn't seem to know what's happening within each group. Rather then looking for strong leaders within the organization they go outside. The issue with this is that these people don't last. This causes stress on the employees, and ensures that people wont stay, as they don't see opportunities for growth.

Look at the way you treat your employees. Look internally, and learn about the people that work for you. When other's depart seek direction from those they lead. If you lost a good manager, it's probably a safe bet that they left behind good employees that will provide direction and possible management.

Countrywide - Dilbert works there.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Back in 2004, CF was a very stable place to work. Lots of "lifers" who were there because of the 20-year pension plan and low level of intellectual demand. Many of the employees were very friendly/nice, but not interested in challenging themselves. It was possible to do the same thing day after day for years at CF.

Cons

Lots of lifers. Very slow to change. Not really a technology-driven company.

Hire better people. It's one thing to be cost-conscious, but there are/were too many people at CF without college degrees. The overall quality of the employees there was almost the exact opposite of a high-tech startup: at CF, there were lots of folks (regardless of pay level) who were cruising through their careers.

Countrywide is a terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Credit Analyst I in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst I in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

You could put in a lot of overtime.

In fact, it was required!

Cons

Management in my department were prejudiced against you if you were not Hispanic . . . . they would talk about you in Spanish and laugh making it obvious which employee they were belittling.
    They belittled employees instead of encouraging them to do better. And they made sure other employees heard.
    High turnover as we all found jobs with companies that treated their employees like people.
    They made promises about advancement but never followed through.

They brought the ghetto from California to run the Tempe Landsafe offices. BIG mistake. They have no respect for the employees and the employees leave taking all the training and knowledge with them.

Working conditions at Countrywide mirror the housing market--when things are great, it's great & vice-versa

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Pay was formerly the best reason, but current environment has led to compensation reductions for most employees. Changes are constant, which can be positive, if embraced. Surrounded by talented people.

Cons

Work-life balance is extremely poor; constant concern over "right-sizing"--euphemism for layoffs; training is virtually non-existent.

The expectation of employees continues to be "more, more, more, faster, faster, faster". Working people this way is like asking them to run on a treadmill that keeps getting faster. They eventually wear out & productivity suffers. Work/life balance should be embraced & promoted. Sadly, it is workaholism that is rewarded, and thereby the expectation.