County of Boulder

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Stanley L. Garnett

Has been a great place to work.

I have been working at County of Boulder

ProsGreat people, flex time, good benefits.

ConsWorking in Enforcement can wear you down.

Great, committed people

I worked at County of Boulder

ProsMost of the staff in public health work very hard and are there because they believe in their work and their ability to make a difference.

ConsSometimes a lot of bureaucracy to get things accomplished. Lots of meetings.

Great balance of life and work

Boulder, CO

I worked at County of Boulder full-time for more than a year

Prosencourages healthy lifestyles, competitive salaries compared to other state/local governments, room to advance, career development, perks like EcoPass, working to make a difference, public evolvement, fun environment (most of the time), great benefits

Conssalaries not as competitive to the private sector, laziness and inefficiency can be an issue with complacent employes

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some of the worst people I've ever met work for Boulder County.

I have been working at County of Boulder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best reason to work for Boulder County is the free Eco-Pass and free membership to Boulder B-Cycle.

ConsBoulder County pays much less than other local government.

We are REQUIRED to pay into both PERA and Social Security. Combined, it comes out to around 15% of our earnings.

Payday is only once a month.

The health benefits are mediocre at best.

The very worst part about working for Boulder County is THE PEOPLE! I have never worked around such ridiculous people in my entire career. Everyone here walks around with their nose stuck in the air like they're better than the next. Not everyone is like this, but most people here are jerks.

There is no drug testing policy, so there is a large percentage of employees with low morals and ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMISSIONERS - Keep an eye on the people you have in management positions. Just because someone has the most seniority, doesn't necessarily qualify them to run an entire department. There is probably more unethical things happening right under your nose than you could imagine.

Also, can you please create a policy on cigarette smoking? Maybe regulate cigarette breaks to once every couple of hours? Most people in my department smoke every hour, sometimes more. And they have to leave BC property to do it, so that creates an average smoke break of 12-15 minutes, every hour of everyday.

A great place to work!

I have been working at County of Boulder full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are good.
Work environment is good

ConsThey don't pay that good.
Not a lot of flexibility

Middling

I worked at County of Boulder full-time

ProsFlexible work schedule to a certain degree.

ConsIt's in Boulder and people there kinda suck.

Great Environment to work in

Administrative Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at County of Boulder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility, caring, room for growth and development, job security, progressive thinking, employees are allowed to give a lot of feedback to help shape the types of benefits and work environments that work best for them.

ConsDepending on the position, there is not always the most qualified person working in that area. It's hard to see things that obviously need to be addressed, but are constanly looked over.

Unless you know someone in upper management and are willing to kiss ass you will go no where.

Longmont, CO

I have been working at County of Boulder

ProsPlenty of time off and can get it almost any time.

ConsManagement is horrible. Little competence anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiterally find people with an education. One foreman in in Nederland would spell "would" wood. No joke! Incompetence everywhere.

great to work here. Just beware of working in the Food Stamp (Housing/Human Service) Dept!

Food Stamps (Former Employee)

I worked at County of Boulder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is great. The management team were very kind and they actually know your name. The pay and benefits were wonderful. HR always was available when I had questions and they were very helpful. I heard other counties like Adams struggled w/integrity. Boulder strives for good values and integrity. They are no joke and will fire you if you lack good judgement and values when dealing with the public. They strive to be the best.

ConsOverall, Boulder County as a whole was wonderful to work with so I would recommend it. The biggest problem is that I worked with the Food Stamp (Housing & Human Services) department that requires so much of you without giving back to the staff members. Many of the staff were very unsatisfied but stayed because of the pay and the economy. Burn out is extremely high and management don't seem to care. Its all about the client which is fine but the staff are thrown under the bus. You will work with around 100 people and most of them will be burnt out and hard to work with. Some will gossip about you, some will turn on you and management will turn their heads. The system is set up for staff to fail. Meaning HIGH work load, burn out, little to no praise from management, and no team camaraderie. I have never worked at a job where there were so many unhappy people. It was hard working there and I will never work at another government job because this was the worst job I have ever had. It also changed my course of career because of how much this job broke me down.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of changing everything all the time, why not get your staff comfortable with 1 system that works. It can be daunting changing a system all the time. Changes are not always good esp when the staff has to remember government policies, CBMS rules, department rules, and dealing with the public. Its overwhelming. We know you want to be the best, but work on sitting 1-on 1 with your staff. Then you will see what they are dealing with.

Worked for County of Boulder? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at County of Boulder reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for County of Boulder CEO Stanley L. Garnett. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by County of Boulder employees.