County of Los Angeles Public Library

CEO

It's ok!

Current Employee - Library Aide in La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Current Employee - Library Aide in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Public Library part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get health insurance if you're a part timer.

Cons

They can fire you any time as a part timer without any explanation, so if a manager has it out for you, you're gone!!!
    They change rules according to how the county manager feels.
    No raise in the years.
    Hours have been cut dramatically!
    Librarians get away with murder.

Please stop changing the rules to fit your needs and playing with peoples life’s'

I worked at County of Los Angeles Public Library

Pros

Generally attractive physical library environment.

Cons

Keeping costs down by employing hundreds of low-wage, temporary workers with no benefits upon initial employment. After employment keeping you part-time and perhaps advancing you to "Library Clerk" (where you will remain for years) at another low-wage job that pays perhaps $2.00 per hour more than "Library Page." Stifling environment that is micro-managed.

Stop contributing to the "business trend" of hiring low-wage, part-time workers and keeping them at the same level for years and years with a non-living wage.

TEMPORARY FOR 35 YEARS?!?

Current Employee - Library Aide
    Current Employee - Library Aide

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Public Library part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working as a library aide. I enjoyed meeting new people, many from all over the world, and developing friendly relationships with regular patrons. Our branch is a friendly one which the patrons (they are NOT customers!) often comment on. They choose us over other branches where the staff is not as warm. I love detail work and strove every day to do each task, large or small, just the way it should be done. Thanks to the union, we now receive medical coverage (Go SEIU!) but it did more than double in cost this year (2014)

Cons

Pages & aides sign a paper every year to confirm that we know we are only 'day workers" - that we can be "released" from service (it's not a jail!) at any time with NO notice and NO reason given. I have a co-worker who has signed this 35 times! The positions do not receive respect from upper management, as if all it entails is shelving or sitting & checking items in & out (OK, some Ps & As don't do much more) but some of us work very hard & receive no respect. Our hours are kept low, there is no vacation benefit. Ps and As are expected to be silent submissive robots.

Treat the page and aide positions as if they are REAL jobs, not just something for students & housewives to do part-time for some spare cash. Give a REASON if someone is "released", and have the guts to call it "fired". Make the positions PERMANENT part-time - this temporary BS is demeaning! How is doing the same job for 35 years temporary?!? Give performances reviews, don't just throw every page/aide in the same barrel. Some workers are heads above others & should be recognized as such. Some workers do the bare minimum and should not be compensated as much as those who go above & beyond to be helpful.

Fantastic opportunities for beginning librarians with plenty of professional development and growth

Former Employee - Librarian I in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Librarian I in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Public Library

Pros

Great colleagues, support staff and community managers. Plenty of training opportunities, ability for lateral and promotional movements, fantastic benefits including medical, life, etc. Interview process is lengthy, but not overwhelming, lots of managers encourage growth in staff. One of the largest library systems in the country with access to millions of volumes that can be loaned between libraries, active at the state capital level to save library funding.

Cons

Most support staff is part-time and being cut due to budget constraints, budget constraints limit adding to the collection,

Appreciate the support level staff (pages, aides) and encourage growth within the county.

Unfairly laid off without a reason. Terrible management that didn't follow company rules.

Former Employee - Library Aide in Castaic, CA
    Former Employee - Library Aide in Castaic, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Public Library

Pros

Pension Plan. Health Benefits. Coworker camaraderie.

Cons

A little above hourly wage. Part Time Job. No real opportunities for advancement. Hours constantly being cut and coworkers being laid off due to government budget reasons.

Treat coworkers respectfully and fairly. Follow company rules and policies.

Better than most

Current Employee - Librarian (Anonymous Level) in San Fernando, CA
    Current Employee - Librarian (Anonymous Level) in San Fernando, CA

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Public Library

Pros

good salary, excellent benefits, excellent growth potential. Being such a big system means there are lots of opportunities to move upward or laterally depending on your interests.

Cons

Sometimes you have to take on an undesirable assignment to ingratiate yourself with the bosses. Also, it is very hard to terminate someone so people can feign or exaggerate ailments and be on modified work duty for years.

Plan for the long term; take care of your good people now so they stay around for the long term rather than jumping ship at the earliest possible opportunity.