County of Sacramento

County of Sacramento Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

County of Sacramento CEO Brad Hudson

Brad Hudson

Great work if you love a challenging environment and a crazy schedule!

Para Educator I & II (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsWhen there is work, it is a blast to work at different schools and work with challenging students.

ConsWhen there is no money for education, the cuts are quick and the work disappears.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your subs that want to work and hire the ones that have been with the county a long time.

Looks like a great place to work but ....

Clerical (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsIt's a job with an agency that has job security, for now.

ConsTraining is minimal. Management does not communicate with staff on day to day occurrences. (ex. You were supposed to be answering phones at 8:00 am but its now 8:30 am and oops, I'm just now letting you know".) Low moral across ALL units. Customers are angry, rude, and entitled. Management doesn't care about the verbal abuse and do not step in when they can clearly hear that an employee is being verbally insulted. Coworkers don't pull their own weight. Management shows favoritism to staff that brown nose. Management states that staff is "rotated" to each unit, when you are actually bounced back and forth between units that are short staffed. Some days you do not not where you will be sent until the lazy, absent minded supervisors remember to actually tell you. No possibilities for advancement in this office! Director sits upstairs in his air conditioned office watching baseball games while recording staff sweat because of poor air circulation, right outside of his office! $80.00 per month is taken from your paycheck to pay for parking in the employee lot. Union is worthless. There are no opportunities to transfer out of the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your management style is not as wonderful as you all claim it is. You all need to come out of the 1950's and understand that you are very bad at managing staff and workloads. We have worked in other offices for managers that actually know how to legitimately manage people.Don't tell staff that they can come to you with any questions or concerns and then blow them off or tell them "if you don't like it you can transfer out". You cannot retain staff when you do not listen or try to resolve the problems that are occurring under your blind eye. Stop letting the bad apples in the office get away with their negative behavior.You do not seem concerned at all with having staff that are content because you can always find someone new off the cert list to start the horrendous cycle all over again.

Water Quality Control Systems Positions

Control Systems Technician (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat job if you desire a challenging technical position working with instrumentation, controls, PLCs, computers, serial and ethernet networks.

ConsFew career advancement oportunities, you can make more money woking for a private integration firm.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid Human Assistance Program Management !!

Human Services Specialist (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat people, excellent benefits, if you get in the right agency you can really flourish. There are some great training opportunities.

ConsYou can be stuck in a position for a long time. There is a lot of workplace bullying by management. Management. Some of the managers are very eager to fire staff they don't like. It's sad you can't tell people real experiences but I have seen employees be tortured by managers at Dept of Human Assistance, one in particular. She may retire soon. I wish I didn't leave Health & Human Services.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate complaints about management. Don't be so quick to see one side. Treat staff like they are human and not animals. Have an open door policy.

Review of the office technician

Office Technician (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGood benefits and a great environmentl to help the public

ConsSlow to change. Hard to move up.

Great job cut short by bad economy and layoffs.

GIS Analyst (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsCareer growth potential, great benefits, generous wages. I always felt like my department management was looking out for my best interests, personally and professionally.

ConsBoard of supervisors and county executive make all the decision for the departments. Sometimes they don't seem to understand what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was too much middle management.

Relaxed Environment

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsPays Well, but limited advancement

ConsNo COLA, again, limited advancement

Poor organization, very poor communication from management, poorly trained supervisors

Legal Transcriber (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsClear cut job expectations, benefits, as secure as job security gets

Consmonotony of government work and frustration over the rigid job specs

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better

It's a good place to work, but as with everywhere economy has took its toll on the ability for advancement or even hires

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsEveryone is friendly and very professional. Competent Management.

ConsHard to advance in position because of economy

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat place to work and learn!

ConsCan get boring sometimes and theres not much to do

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for County of Sacramento? Contribute to the Community!