County of Sacramento

It's good

Current Employee - Deputy Sheriff  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like my income and my coworkers. If you have college education you make more money for the same amount of work than the people without college.

Cons

In my job you never know what shift you may work . You might have to work weekends and holidays

Sac County Employment

Current Employee - Senior Mental Health Counselor  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mental Health Counselor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The county has strong unions and better than average pay rates. There are awesome benefits with thirteen paid holidays in addition to sick leave and vacations. For those in a certain tier, Kaiser is free to the individual employee.

Cons

The challenges are similar to most company challenges. Quite often those in high places make policies that affect lower level employees and the policy makers have no clue as to what is happening on a day to day basis.

Ask more questions of the employees doing the day to day work with the consumers and taxpayers of Sacramento County.

Great learning experience. ..but not much for promotion.

Former Employee - Senior Office Assistant  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Office Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work around really nice people.

Cons

Hard to promote within the departments.

Give the employees who understand the job inside and out an opportunity to promote.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clerk-Recorder Sacramento County

Current Employee - Clerical  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Monday thru Friday schedule, benefits, a paycheck.

Cons

Poorly run office. No raises, bonuses, opportunity for advancement or promotion, no chance to transfer out of this office. Office culture? Please. No perks unless you like to brown nose the supervisors and then receive preferential treatment...yeah we all notice...personal growth...forgotten what that is while working in the office.

Please retire or have someone with a brain re-train the clerical manager and her awful staff of "supervisors". Start treating your staff with respect or you won't know what hit you when the mass exodus begins.

The Department lacks class and so does the management.

Current Employee - Clerical  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, vacation, and leave time

Cons

Management is too top heavy and need to understand how a business is run. There is no room for advancement unless you are someone's friend. The treatment of staff makes it really difficult to have any positive outlook for such a dismal place. Hard workers are punished and mediocrity is celebrated in this department.

Start acting like managers, lead by example and listen to your staff regarding the fixing of problems and promote employees from within based on their ability to do their job, not because they are someone's friend or of a certain nationality.

More Work Less Pay

Current Employee - Senior Office Assistant  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Office Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Retiremtn after 5 years, Medical Benefits, Fidelity Investments, Buisness Casual atire, Full time availability

Cons

No Cost of Living Increases, No bonuses based on reviews, no promotions and more work than stated in your job duty status

When you eliminate a position don't expect another position to accept all of the duties on top of their own.

court investigator

Former Employee - Family Court Investigator  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Family Court Investigator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for less than a year

Pros

They provide great training. You can flex time if you are caught up on work. I found that I worked with an excellent team of co-workers who genuinely care about each other. I don't have much to say when it comes to pros.

Cons

It is impossible to ever catch up or keep up with work-load; no time left to recharge and often have to work weekends without pay (overtime;, stressful job because there just isn't enough time to do the minimum on a case to ensure fair decisions on cases that affect peoples lives.

To be more aware of the cases an employee currently has before adding more. Utilize a buddy system so employees can work together on the tasks involved for each case. Everyone has different strengths and should be able to use them to benefit the agency and employee satisfaction. It would be better for the community if cases were assigned to teams who worked as a unit on each case from beginning to end. There is too many disruptions involved in cases being transferred from one worker to another. The teams can work on more than one case at a time; but the stress would be reduced on the workers because there would be a built in support system. There is so much work to do that people don't even have time off with their families. Unless you make it to a management position which seems impossible. People want to do a good job and be successful; however, they are set up to fail from the beginning. One person can only manage so many cases at a time. If they are unable to retain employees then the system will remain forever broken for everyone.

Department of Probation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fair pay and benefits. Unfortunately there is a five year vesting period and ten years to collect. Also, there is no medical benefits after retirement. They just cut you off. Better off to work for state government.

Cons

Just like most government jobs, tons of paperwork and red tape to get even the most simple request completed. That all said, I would suggest that you look elsewhere for employment. Management sucks with a BIG S. Do yourself a favor and if you can get a job elsewhere, do so. I am so happy now that I have moved on to a different department. One of the worst managers I have ever met.

Make it mandated that all supervisors and manager (at all levels) take several classes on how to supervise and manage staff.

Good and Bad about Dept. of Probation

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than a year

Pros

As with most companies, Some employees are great and enthusiastic to help and are the true backbone of what customer service represents. Good benefits.

Cons

Currently working for overt Narcissist and micro manager which appears to be supported by upper management. Very depressing environment. Of course there are a few "UNION" members that complain over almost everything.

Should perform personality evaluations and force managers to attend training sessions on how to treat employees.

Unorganized from beginning to end

Current Employee - Human Services Specialist  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than a year

Pros

paycheck, benefits, holidays, some of the people are cool

Cons

poor training, poor supervisors, people afraid to do anything in case they get fired. Poor morale, I could go on and on. Just don't do it.

Hire supervisors who know the job of their subordinates AND that have people skills and a real desire to see their workers excel in their jobs.

County of Sacramento Photos

Sac County
Work Place

+ Add Photo

Worked for County of Sacramento? Contribute to the Community!