County of Sacramento

Updated Jun 17, 2014

County of Sacramento CEO Brad Hudson

Brad Hudson

court investigator

Family Court Investigator (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsThey provide great training. You can flex time if you are caught up on work. I found that I worked with an excellent team of co-workers who genuinely care about each other. I don't have much to say when it comes to pros.

ConsIt is impossible to ever catch up or keep up with work-load; no time left to recharge and often have to work weekends without pay (overtime;, stressful job because there just isn't enough time to do the minimum on a case to ensure fair decisions on cases that affect peoples lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more aware of the cases an employee currently has before adding more. Utilize a buddy system so employees can work together on the tasks involved for each case. Everyone has different strengths and should be able to use them to benefit the agency and employee satisfaction. It would be better for the community if cases were assigned to teams who worked as a unit on each case from beginning to end. There is too many disruptions involved in cases being transferred from one worker to another. The teams can work on more than one case at a time; but the stress would be reduced on the workers because there would be a built in support system. There is so much work to do that people don't even have time off with their families. Unless you make it to a management position which seems impossible. People want to do a good job and be successful; however, they are set up to fail from the beginning. One person can only manage so many cases at a time. If they are unable to retain employees then the system will remain forever broken for everyone.

Department of Probation

Sacramento, CA

ProsFair pay and benefits. Unfortunately there is a five year vesting period and ten years to collect. Also, there is no medical benefits after retirement. They just cut you off. Better off to work for state government.

ConsJust like most government jobs, tons of paperwork and red tape to get even the most simple request completed. That all said, I would suggest that you look elsewhere for employment. Management sucks with a BIG S. Do yourself a favor and if you can get a job elsewhere, do so. I am so happy now that I have moved on to a different department. One of the worst managers I have ever met.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it mandated that all supervisors and manager (at all levels) take several classes on how to supervise and manage staff.

Good and Bad about Dept. of Probation

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsAs with most companies, Some employees are great and enthusiastic to help and are the true backbone of what customer service represents. Good benefits.

ConsCurrently working for overt Narcissist and micro manager which appears to be supported by upper management. Very depressing environment. Of course there are a few "UNION" members that complain over almost everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould perform personality evaluations and force managers to attend training sessions on how to treat employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unorganized from beginning to end

Human Services Specialist (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

Prospaycheck, benefits, holidays, some of the people are cool

Conspoor training, poor supervisors, people afraid to do anything in case they get fired. Poor morale, I could go on and on. Just don't do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors who know the job of their subordinates AND that have people skills and a real desire to see their workers excel in their jobs.

It was been extremely rewarding.

Sacramento, CA

ProsChallenging and opportunity for promotion.

ConsCivil Service System can be hard to maneuver in.

great opportunity to work at more than one one site during my career

Prosvacation dental and medical benefits

Constoo many supervisors have left favoritism was and still is rampant. no flexible schedules

Advice to Senior Managementwe need a raise more people would stay if 9/80 schedule was offered

Sac County is perfect for someone who is security-oriented

ASO I (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsBest pay in the area. From my experience, supervisors are liberal with allowing vacation, appts, etc. In my experience, no one is breathing down my neck. I get my work done and have never had a problem in almost 20 years. Everywhere I've worked has been easy to breathe at with no crazy little managers trying to prove something. They could be around though (??)

ConsMany of the jobs are scattered around the county, so your job may or may not be close to home (small price). Since it's the government, there are no bonuses. Overtime depends on your job class.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers I've had are awesome. They are usually towards the top, so have nothing to prove. My advice to middle and lower managers is to back off and allow people to own their product/service (if you don't already). If the employee is horrible, don't waste time and money keeping them aroun.

Typical Government Environment

Sacramento, CA

ProsWorkload was very manageable, very little concern about deadlines etc
    Good benefits

ConsSalary too low
    Not enough new work to keep someone interested and engaged
    Management completely absent
    No desire to try anything new. For instance, management would prefer that people check a car out of the fleet and drive to talk with business users that allow use of a screen sharing tool (i.e., Lync/IM etc).
    No opportunity for advancement unless someone retires

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to make the people with 35 years of service that sleep at their desk finally retire
    Step into the 21st century

Probation Department

Probation Officer (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsWorking for Sacramento County and the County Benefits.

ConsProbation Department, never gives you the opportunity for advancement unless you behave inappropriately ( if you know what I mean ). Harassment from other employees never taken care by administration If you want to get involved with law enforcement try the Sheriff Department instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to you employees, read the complaints and. I could stay longer but I chose to retire.

Airport Operations

Sacramento, CA

ProsWorking four 10 hour shift; If you are pro-union this is the place to be for employees not supervisors!

ConsEmployees are unprofessional in airport operations; lunches and breaks are more important then working; airport operations officers care more about playing on the internet and watching television then working; high turnover rate in airport operations so BE WARE there is a reason; no mentoring while on probation just termination; KEEP IN MIND IF YOU THINK ABOUT APPLYING BEWARE!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to both sides before making a decision; provide better training and don't be indecisive.

Worked for County of Sacramento? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at County of Sacramento reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for County of Sacramento CEO Brad Hudson. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by County of Sacramento employees.