County of Sacramento

Profile Unclaimed

Good and Bad about Dept. of Probation

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As with most companies, Some employees are great and enthusiastic to help and are the true backbone of what customer service represents. Good benefits.

Cons

Currently working for overt Narcissist and micro manager which appears to be supported by upper management. Very depressing environment. Of course there are a few "UNION" members that complain over almost everything.

Should perform personality evaluations and force managers to attend training sessions on how to treat employees.

Unorganized from beginning to end

Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (more than a year)

Pros

paycheck, benefits, holidays, some of the people are cool

Cons

poor training, poor supervisors, people afraid to do anything in case they get fired. Poor morale, I could go on and on. Just don't do it.

Hire supervisors who know the job of their subordinates AND that have people skills and a real desire to see their workers excel in their jobs.

It was been extremely rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging and opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Civil Service System can be hard to maneuver in.

Sac County is perfect for someone who is security-oriented

Current Employee - ASO I in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - ASO I in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best pay in the area. From my experience, supervisors are liberal with allowing vacation, appts, etc. In my experience, no one is breathing down my neck. I get my work done and have never had a problem in almost 20 years. Everywhere I've worked has been easy to breathe at with no crazy little managers trying to prove something. They could be around though (??)

Cons

Many of the jobs are scattered around the county, so your job may or may not be close to home (small price). Since it's the government, there are no bonuses. Overtime depends on your job class.

The managers I've had are awesome. They are usually towards the top, so have nothing to prove. My advice to middle and lower managers is to back off and allow people to own their product/service (if you don't already). If the employee is horrible, don't waste time and money keeping them aroun.

great opportunity to work at more than one one site during my career

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time

Pros

vacation dental and medical benefits

Cons

too many supervisors have left favoritism was and still is rampant. no flexible schedules

we need a raise more people would stay if 9/80 schedule was offered

Typical Government Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Workload was very manageable, very little concern about deadlines etc
    Good benefits

Cons

Salary too low
    Not enough new work to keep someone interested and engaged
    Management completely absent
    No desire to try anything new. For instance, management would prefer that people check a car out of the fleet and drive to talk with business users that allow use of a screen sharing tool (i.e., Lync/IM etc).
    No opportunity for advancement unless someone retires

Time to make the people with 35 years of service that sleep at their desk finally retire
    Step into the 21st century

Airport Operations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working four 10 hour shift; If you are pro-union this is the place to be for employees not supervisors!

Cons

Employees are unprofessional in airport operations; lunches and breaks are more important then working; airport operations officers care more about playing on the internet and watching television then working; high turnover rate in airport operations so BE WARE there is a reason; no mentoring while on probation just termination; KEEP IN MIND IF YOU THINK ABOUT APPLYING BEWARE!

Listen to both sides before making a decision; provide better training and don't be indecisive.

Probation Department

Former Employee - Probation Officer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Probation Officer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for Sacramento County and the County Benefits.

Cons

Probation Department, never gives you the opportunity for advancement unless you behave inappropriately ( if you know what I mean ). Harassment from other employees never taken care by administration If you want to get involved with law enforcement try the Sheriff Department instead.

Pay attention to you employees, read the complaints and. I could stay longer but I chose to retire.

Great work if you love a challenging environment and a crazy schedule!

Current Employee - Para Educator I & II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Para Educator I & II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When there is work, it is a blast to work at different schools and work with challenging students.

Cons

When there is no money for education, the cuts are quick and the work disappears.

Keep your subs that want to work and hire the ones that have been with the county a long time.

Looks like a great place to work but ....

Current Employee - Clerical in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job with an agency that has job security, for now.

Cons

Training is minimal. Management does not communicate with staff on day to day occurrences. (ex. You were supposed to be answering phones at 8:00 am but its now 8:30 am and oops, I'm just now letting you know".) Low moral across ALL units. Customers are angry, rude, and entitled. Management doesn't care about the verbal abuse and do not step in when they can clearly hear that an employee is being verbally insulted. Coworkers don't pull their own weight. Management shows favoritism to staff that brown nose. Management states that staff is "rotated" to each unit, when you are actually bounced back and forth between units that are short staffed. Some days you do not not where you will be sent until the lazy, absent minded supervisors remember to actually tell you. No possibilities for advancement in this office! Director sits upstairs in his air conditioned office watching baseball games while recording staff sweat because of poor air circulation, right outside of his office! $80.00 per month is taken from your paycheck to pay for parking in the employee lot. Union is worthless. There are no opportunities to transfer out of the office.

Realize that your management style is not as wonderful as you all claim it is. You all need to come out of the 1950's and understand that you are very bad at managing staff and workloads. We have worked in other offices for managers that actually know how to legitimately manage people.Don't tell staff that they can come to you with any questions or concerns and then blow them off or tell them "if you don't like it you can transfer out". You cannot retain staff when you do not listen or try to resolve the problems that are occurring under your blind eye. Stop letting the bad apples in the office get away with their negative behavior.You do not seem concerned at all with having staff that are content because you can always find someone new off the cert list to start the horrendous cycle all over again.

County of Sacramento Photos