County of Sacramento

Updated September 3, 2014
2.4

County of Sacramento CEO Brad Hudson
Brad Hudson

great opportunity to work at more than one one site during my career

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time

Pros

vacation dental and medical benefits

Cons

too many supervisors have left favoritism was and still is rampant. no flexible schedules

we need a raise more people would stay if 9/80 schedule was offered

Typical Government Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Workload was very manageable, very little concern about deadlines etc
    Good benefits

Cons

Salary too low
    Not enough new work to keep someone interested and engaged
    Management completely absent
    No desire to try anything new. For instance, management would prefer that people check a car out of the fleet and drive to talk with business users that allow use of a screen sharing tool (i.e., Lync/IM etc).
    No opportunity for advancement unless someone retires

Time to make the people with 35 years of service that sleep at their desk finally retire
    Step into the 21st century

Probation Department

Former Employee - Probation Officer  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Probation Officer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for Sacramento County and the County Benefits.

Cons

Probation Department, never gives you the opportunity for advancement unless you behave inappropriately ( if you know what I mean ). Harassment from other employees never taken care by administration If you want to get involved with law enforcement try the Sheriff Department instead.

Pay attention to you employees, read the complaints and. I could stay longer but I chose to retire.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Airport Operations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working four 10 hour shift; If you are pro-union this is the place to be for employees not supervisors!

Cons

Employees are unprofessional in airport operations; lunches and breaks are more important then working; airport operations officers care more about playing on the internet and watching television then working; high turnover rate in airport operations so BE WARE there is a reason; no mentoring while on probation just termination; KEEP IN MIND IF YOU THINK ABOUT APPLYING BEWARE!

Listen to both sides before making a decision; provide better training and don't be indecisive.

Great work if you love a challenging environment and a crazy schedule!

Current Employee - Para Educator I & II  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Para Educator I & II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When there is work, it is a blast to work at different schools and work with challenging students.

Cons

When there is no money for education, the cuts are quick and the work disappears.

Keep your subs that want to work and hire the ones that have been with the county a long time.

Looks like a great place to work but ....

Current Employee - Clerical  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a job with an agency that has job security, for now.

Cons

Training is minimal. Management does not communicate with staff on day to day occurrences. (ex. You were supposed to be answering phones at 8:00 am but its now 8:30 am and oops, I'm just now letting you know".) Low moral across ALL units. Customers are angry, rude, and entitled. Management doesn't care about the verbal abuse and do not step in when they can clearly hear that an employee is being verbally insulted. Coworkers don't pull their own weight. Management shows favoritism to staff that brown nose. Management states that staff is "rotated" to each unit, when you are actually bounced back and forth between units that are short staffed. Some days you do not not where you will be sent until the lazy, absent minded supervisors remember to actually tell you. No possibilities for advancement in this office! Director sits upstairs in his air conditioned office watching baseball games while recording staff sweat because of poor air circulation, right outside of his office! $80.00 per month is taken from your paycheck to pay for parking in the employee lot. Union is worthless. There are no opportunities to transfer out of the office.

Realize that your management style is not as wonderful as you all claim it is. You all need to come out of the 1950's and understand that you are very bad at managing staff and workloads. We have worked in other offices for managers that actually know how to legitimately manage people.Don't tell staff that they can come to you with any questions or concerns and then blow them off or tell them "if you don't like it you can transfer out". You cannot retain staff when you do not listen or try to resolve the problems that are occurring under your blind eye. Stop letting the bad apples in the office get away with their negative behavior.You do not seem concerned at all with having staff that are content because you can always find someone new off the cert list to start the horrendous cycle all over again.

Water Quality Control Systems Positions

Former Employee - Control Systems Technician  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Control Systems Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great job if you desire a challenging technical position working with instrumentation, controls, PLCs, computers, serial and ethernet networks.

Cons

Few career advancement oportunities, you can make more money woking for a private integration firm.

Avoid Human Assistance Program Management !!

Current Employee - Human Services Specialist  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, excellent benefits, if you get in the right agency you can really flourish. There are some great training opportunities.

Cons

You can be stuck in a position for a long time. There is a lot of workplace bullying by management. Management. Some of the managers are very eager to fire staff they don't like. It's sad you can't tell people real experiences but I have seen employees be tortured by managers at Dept of Human Assistance, one in particular. She may retire soon. I wish I didn't leave Health & Human Services.

Investigate complaints about management. Don't be so quick to see one side. Treat staff like they are human and not animals. Have an open door policy.

Review of the office technician

Current Employee - Office Technician  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Office Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and a great environmentl to help the public

Cons

Slow to change. Hard to move up.

Great job cut short by bad economy and layoffs.

Former Employee - GIS Analyst  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career growth potential, great benefits, generous wages. I always felt like my department management was looking out for my best interests, personally and professionally.

Cons

Board of supervisors and county executive make all the decision for the departments. Sometimes they don't seem to understand what they're doing.

There was too much middle management.

Worked for County of Sacramento? Contribute to the Community!