County of Santa Barbara

Updated Mar 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Salud Carbajal

Awesome place to work and enviorment is ever so changing you learn something new everyday!!!

AOP (Current Employee) Santa Maria, CA

ProsGreat resource to all community run career services

ConsThere isnt none to list

Advice to Senior Managementyes

A good place at your retiring stage.

Accountant (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsBenefits, Decent wages, Nice co-workers.

ConsNo professional training. Lack of mobility; political intrigue; wheels turn very slowly. You come here after you have the resume built. Little chance for career experimentation or trying other things.

Mostly hard working, good people; Even the most talented often struggle to have a career path

Enterprise Leader (Former Employee)

ProsDecent wages; location, location, location in sunny Santa Barbara

ConsLack of mobility; some political intrigue; wheels can turn very slowly

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had an amazing time working and learning while employed with the County of Santa Barbara.

Deputy Clerk of the Board (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsSanta Barbara County gives the opportunity for growth to all of the employees. I earned a Masters in Public Administration while I was there. All of the employees I worked with were very supportive of each other.

ConsDue to the cost of living, many employees had to commute to work but there are great public transportation options.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to increase the opportunities for staff growth.

Great workplace setting.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsOne of the best places to work in Santa Barbara

ConsYou come here after you have the resume built. Little chance for career experimentation or trying other things.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people.

Twenty Years

ProsGood people, adequate training opportunities, might be a good place to start but the present situation does not lead to long term satisfaction

ConsCounty government - completely misguided in their direction which adversely affects the critical mission of the safety services

Advice to Senior ManagementInvert the table of organization to show that the executive serves to support the deputy.

It's local government.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsThe workday is predictable since each employee has a predefined role in the organization. It generally allows for independent self-guided work.

ConsCounties in general are large organizations. Often, an employee feels buried in bureaucracy and inefficiencies. Santa Barbara County is no exception. There is not a lot of room for innovations, and often local politics drive projects rather than academia or industry standards. These can cause a practitioner much frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much management is a problem for any large organization including Santa Barbara County. For staff members to be efficient and innovative, they need supportive, decisive managers. The County should focus on choosing the right people for this role.

Managers, like children, 'are to be seen, not heard'

Manager ADMHS (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsIt is a good place for professionals new to clinical mental health, plenty of clinical exposure for credential development. Most of the professional people working on the front lines are worth their weight in gold. Many of them stay in direct care in order to avoid the "cons" of the organization. The benefits are great.

ConsThe higher up you go the less you'll be able to use your benefits or have time for anything but crisis management. The whole system is driven by the political fight between the Board of County Supervisors and each Department's Executives/Administrators. Therefore, your expertise will not be needed in comparison to your diplomacy and marketing skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerform 360 degree reviews on all managers on up, use the reviews to promote or retire the leadership. Get out of crisis mode, plan ahead and react when given feedback (both internally and externally). Insist on multi-disciplinary decision making.

Higher Education - why?

Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsSanta Barbara is a very unique county, it is a relaxing yet motivating place to work.
    Although the leave benefits are not up to par with many other counties, they have created a very unique structure of promotional progression for non-professional positions. It allows for 'expert' clerical staff to make up to 6,500/month in the most advanced classification, which -is- eligible for overtime pay.
    Yes, in this county it is possible for a non-professional (no bachelor degree), non-exempt, non management employee to gross over $80,000/year (78k + 6k bene. allowance).
    Who needs college with positions like this out there??
    If I had a chance to go back to college and get that degree - well -I wouldn't take it.

ConsVery over compensated clerical staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-examine compensation structure. Staff with professional doctorates should not be in the same pay range as their 'clerical support'

Trial attorney handling the most serious cases

Deputy Public Defender (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, Tolima (Colombia)

ProsSteady employment and benefits with average deferred compensation plan

ConsLong hours for which you are not compensated. High stress levels and poor management of workload distribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit workloads frequently. Do not keep people in high stress positions for more than 3 years at a time. Thirteen years of high stress assignments is too much for any human.

Worked for County of Santa Barbara? Contribute to the Community!