County of Santa Clara

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

CEO

Overall this is a good company

I have been working at County of Santa Clara

Pros

Benefits such as medical, dental and vision.
    Lots of free classes from the training center.
    Discounts and accelerated degree programs.

Cons

Double edge sword: some programs have someone in mind for a position but go through the hiring "process" anyway. Othets hire externally without considering internsl promotional/transfer candidates.
    Poor social skills: employees behave childish

Promote within! Build up your employees by strengthening their knowledge and skills, utilize their talents and abilities and foster a team atmospheric.
    Be available for discussion and provide feedback.
    Listen to, ask, appreciate and care about your staff.

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Current Employee - Eligibility Worker
    Current Employee - Eligibility Worker

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time

Pros

The benefits are excellent and provided you are working with a great manager and team, the experience can be positive. Training is provided formally and on the job, depending on positions. Many opportunities to work in various departments if you are willing to put in the effort. This is an 8 to 5 job, and you can leave your work at your desk when you get off, unless you are working in management. Great for those who are looking for a stable career and have other priorities (school, families, etc.).

Cons

Office politics can be demoralizing, management favoritism and nepotism is a problem. Those who work hard are not rewarded and those who slack off are not punished. Little motivation to move up. Some departments are heavily unionized to the point where management doesn't have much say.

Take back the power from unions and put in effort to hire those who are qualified, not those who know someone.

Incredible employer.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at County of Santa Clara full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Connecting with the community at large. Awesome staff and leadership. Excellent Health benefits, Pensions and more. Pay increases were pretty regular and fit with the cost of living. Work and life balance was very complimentary. Tuition reimbursement was great. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Nothing really. I loved working here. I relocated after a divorce so I can come to some clarity with my own personal life. But this place is a gem to be at.

Denise Boland is the greatest mentor and supervisor I've ever had in my life. Salute this woman.

The county is a grea tplace to work with many opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits working in the county

Cons

No extra fringe benefits working in the county

better pay

so far so good

Current Employee - Eligibility Worker in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Worker in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great benefits and nice desk job

Cons

be prepare for poorer eye sights, neck pain, from spending too long at the computer

Former Employee

Former Employee - Support Services in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Support Services in San Jose, CA

I worked at County of Santa Clara full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You will enjoy great County benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, differential pay, pension and other... Seniority is a big deal so plan to work for a very long time. You will enjoy working with a lot of people with different background, culture and enthnicity. With patience and good work ethics, you will learn to become a great civil servant. You will understand that you only have your job because of the citizen you are serving. After all, you will be happier when you receive your monthly retirement checks.

Cons

Very difficult and long hiring process. Pay scales are much lower than private industry jobs. Some things can be done within hours would take weeks to complete. Bureaucracy is the norm, lazyness or complacency is a big problem that needs to be corrected. Some managers appear to be afraid of discussing problems with unionized employees or confronting those with negative behavior. Some managers are promoted because of working on the job for a long time but many do not have the neccessary management educational level to manage people of the 21 st. century. Many managers do not even have a Bachelor degree. Higher education should be a requirement to be promoted.

Please get out of your offices and walk around your area of responsibility to talk with your employees to understand their expections of you and remind them your expections of them. It goes both ways. Encourage your employees to work as a team while you are with them, leading them and supporting them.

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Healthcare Program Analyst II in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Program Analyst II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the mobility working for the county offers. I've worked in two departments the last 9 years. Transfer opportunities are available frequently in my pay grade.

Cons

It seems some people can coast for years and still be promoted despite their actual job performance. I know of two instances where I lost out on jobs from people who were much less qualified than me, but because of their "experience" meaning time on the job, they were hired. I wish hiring managers could ask for real references and would check HR reports/complaints.

When funds are available, don't forget to build administrative support along with clinical operations. We have too few people managing too many programs to be viable long term.

Overall, I have enjoyed my time working with the District Attorney's Office.

Current Employee - Paralegal in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I have been blessed to work with so many great people who have shared their experience and knowledge with this newcomer. The cases that I have worked on are hardly boring and keep my busy. Unlike working in the private field, the attorneys at the DA's Office are down to earth and very friendly. The benefits are good and I have no reason to complain about the salary.

Cons

Sometimes it can be very stressful to make your deadlines, but that is true for any job in the legal field. Some of the departments can be more draining than others. Hearing the cases of sexual abuse can be hard to hear, but it is a part of the job. You gotta do what you gotta do so the criminals doing the abuse are off the streets. I also feel that more training is necessary.

Although I understand cross-training is beneficial, I believe giving an employee time to master his/her position (at least a year) before moving departments is necessary.

its not what you know, its who you...

Current Employee - Supervising Protective Services Officer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Supervising Protective Services Officer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The medical benefits package can not be beat.

Cons

Promotion from within is an unreasonable expectation.

Not everything is the best or worst thing that may or may not always happen at all.

Civil Servant

Former Employee - Deputy in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Deputy in San Jose, CA

I worked at County of Santa Clara full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding Benefits now and at retirement

Cons

Lower salary than that of the private industry

Great job