County of Santa Clara

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

CEO

The county is a grea tplace to work with many opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Benefits working in the county

Cons

No extra fringe benefits working in the county

better pay

so far so good

Current Employee - Eligibility Worker  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Worker in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time for less than a year

Pros

great benefits and nice desk job

Cons

be prepare for poorer eye sights, neck pain, from spending too long at the computer

Former Employee

Former Employee - Support Services  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Support Services in San Jose, CA

I worked at County of Santa Clara full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You will enjoy great County benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, differential pay, pension and other... Seniority is a big deal so plan to work for a very long time. You will enjoy working with a lot of people with different background, culture and enthnicity. With patience and good work ethics, you will learn to become a great civil servant. You will understand that you only have your job because of the citizen you are serving. After all, you will be happier when you receive your monthly retirement checks.

Cons

Very difficult and long hiring process. Pay scales are much lower than private industry jobs. Some things can be done within hours would take weeks to complete. Bureaucracy is the norm, lazyness or complacency is a big problem that needs to be corrected. Some managers appear to be afraid of discussing problems with unionized employees or confronting those with negative behavior. Some managers are promoted because of working on the job for a long time but many do not have the neccessary management educational level to manage people of the 21 st. century. Many managers do not even have a Bachelor degree. Higher education should be a requirement to be promoted.

Please get out of your offices and walk around your area of responsibility to talk with your employees to understand their expections of you and remind them your expections of them. It goes both ways. Encourage your employees to work as a team while you are with them, leading them and supporting them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Healthcare Program Analyst II  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Program Analyst II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I like the mobility working for the county offers. I've worked in two departments the last 9 years. Transfer opportunities are available frequently in my pay grade.

Cons

It seems some people can coast for years and still be promoted despite their actual job performance. I know of two instances where I lost out on jobs from people who were much less qualified than me, but because of their "experience" meaning time on the job, they were hired. I wish hiring managers could ask for real references and would check HR reports/complaints.

When funds are available, don't forget to build administrative support along with clinical operations. We have too few people managing too many programs to be viable long term.

Overall, I have enjoyed my time working with the District Attorney's Office.

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I have been blessed to work with so many great people who have shared their experience and knowledge with this newcomer. The cases that I have worked on are hardly boring and keep my busy. Unlike working in the private field, the attorneys at the DA's Office are down to earth and very friendly. The benefits are good and I have no reason to complain about the salary.

Cons

Sometimes it can be very stressful to make your deadlines, but that is true for any job in the legal field. Some of the departments can be more draining than others. Hearing the cases of sexual abuse can be hard to hear, but it is a part of the job. You gotta do what you gotta do so the criminals doing the abuse are off the streets. I also feel that more training is necessary.

Although I understand cross-training is beneficial, I believe giving an employee time to master his/her position (at least a year) before moving departments is necessary.

its not what you know, its who you...

Current Employee - Supervising Protective Services Officer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Supervising Protective Services Officer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The medical benefits package can not be beat.

Cons

Promotion from within is an unreasonable expectation.

Not everything is the best or worst thing that may or may not always happen at all.

difficult to navigate growth ladder

Current Employee - Office Specialist III  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Office Specialist III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place if you can become an independent contributor and advance beyond. Defined benefit pension!

Cons

Recruitment process is stifling. Transfer band designed to make things fair and impartial curbs growth. The pension is like golden handcuffs and growth is too slow!

You will lose solid, hard working employees if you do not sincerely promote the growth and development of ALL of your staff, not just Managers and Leads. There is a great silo between support and professional staff, many support want to cross that and would if you let them!

Civil Servant

Former Employee - Deputy  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Deputy in San Jose, CA

I worked at County of Santa Clara full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Outstanding Benefits now and at retirement

Cons

Lower salary than that of the private industry

Great job

Amazing place to work

I have been working at County of Santa Clara

Pros

Feels more like a community than a place you work

Cons

Difficult to get hired, very competitive

Positive. Would recommend

Former Employee - Applications Development Intern  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Development Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at County of Santa Clara as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are really nice and helpful.

Cons

Might take a while to get goin

Worked for County of Santa Clara? Contribute to the Community!