County of Sonoma

Updated July 10, 2014
Updated July 10, 2014
3.4

CEO

Outdated methods of hiring talent

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

once in, its good to work here

Cons

hard to get an interview due to outdated ranking methodologies and beuracracy

Hire talent on resume, not ranking by HR folks unfamiliar with field of work.

Felt like home

Former Employee - Eligibility Worker I/II  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Worker I/II in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-Workers are supportive, helpful and always positive. The training is up to date and constant. The work is rewarding and always different.

Cons

The job can be stressful.

Did you know if you are a care provider registered with IHSS you have no rights?

Former Employee - Home Health Aide  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

In good conscience I don't have any pros for a system that is so unfairly stacked against a provider.

Cons

Nobody's protecting you if the client won't cooperate and sign your timeslip; IHSS won't give you a heads-up if the clients are mentally unbalanced and/or just out of control --you are on your own. The union you are forced to join, SEIU-UHW, is a joke, as they can't make a client cooperate, they just advise you to sue them in small claims court, but they sure want their monthly dues. All the rights are with the client.

Revamp from the top down. Give a heads up to the provider if the client has a history of being difficult or has a high turnover of providers. If a provider has worked for a client and the client refuses to sign a timeslip or cooperate, support the provider, pay the provider and deal with the client on your own. Stop forcing IHSS providers to join the union.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad

Current Employee - In Home Support Services  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - In Home Support Services in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make your own hours sometimes

Cons

Underpaid for hard work and no benefits

Pay more

Disappointing, disingenuous and totally shocked by their behavior and conduct.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Purposeful mission. This agency is in charge of helping the needy and yet it can't manage it's own staff guided by compassion.

Cons

Management team should have strong knowledge base and high ethics, my opinion is they are sorely lacking.

Surround yourself with managers who have smarts, intellect, and guts. "Yes" people are dangerous.

Facilitator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Very innovative, interesting clientele. I feel I can be expressive, be part of a team and serve others. I meet wonderful folks in the community and learn from my colleagues. This is a very collaborative and informed team.

Cons

This is part-time contract position and you don't always get included to all the internal communication.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love my job! I have had a long career in my field working in the private sector, always being held accountable for some big-wigs bottom line. Here, we are allowed to contribute to the greater good without the overhead of worrying whether we'll have a job at the end of a bad quarter. There are many opportunities for career development and the benefits are excellent. Love my manager, love my department, and I love the work I do here. Managers generally seem very supportive of their reports (but mine is the BEST).

Cons

There is some bureaucracy and you have to pay into a union. So, if that's a show stopper for you, then it wouldn't be a good fit.

Keep up the good work. And don't flouridate the water, please.

Great People

Current Employee - Computer/Network Support  in  Sonoma, CA
    Current Employee - Computer/Network Support in Sonoma, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good support provides great responses from people who seem to genuinely care.

Cons

Not going to get rich anytime soon doing this!

If the government wants to be dependent on technology, they have to realize people who understand it cost money.

Care Giver, In-Home Support, Heath Care

Current Employee - Ihss Provider  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Ihss Provider in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma

Pros

competative wages, union benefits, working directly for clients, flexible schedule, state agency

Cons

takes forever to get registered and backpay

quicker and easier registration, ability to be paid while waiting the months for backgroud checks and orientaion and quicker timeslips

County of Sonoma- Mixed Emotions, but overall positive.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma

Pros

Working for the County of Sonoma has many positive benefits similar to working for any County government. You get 15 minutes breaks every hour and generally supervisors are very lenient and understanding. One of the best things is that since the County is such a big employer that there is some security associated with that. Additionally, there are a number of good but not great support services that are offered like a number of career training classes, web help, and much more. Also, taking time off never seems to be a problem and there is not the added pressure of deadlines quite like there is in the private sector.

Cons

While working at the County level can be rewarding at sometimes there are many small aspects that can be a bit frustrating. For one, the pace of all the bureaucracy can get very frustrating. If you are in a position that has to get things out you may be waiting on other government entities that seems to take their time getting things done. The next biggest problem that I have is that you have to political correct many times. You are working in a county government which is one of the most political sensitive areas to work, however this depends on which office you work.

By more open to new ideas and the future. One of the most frustrating aspects not mentioned above is the slow pace at which change is adapted in the County system. Overall, there are a few managers that have started accepting things like flex time, but do to the county's rigid structure many managers are reluctant to do this. Another great example is attire and work place atmosphere. At my office we try and display a high level of professionalism which means no music during the day and shirt and tie everyday except Fridays. Overall Senior Management really varies from which office is the County you work for.

Worked for County of Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!