County of Sonoma

www.sonoma-county.org

County of Sonoma Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
County of Sonoma – Santa Rosa – “Sunset”

Outdated methods of hiring talent

Analyst (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

Prosonce in, its good to work here

Conshard to get an interview due to outdated ranking methodologies and beuracracy

Advice to Senior ManagementHire talent on resume, not ranking by HR folks unfamiliar with field of work.

Felt like home

Eligibility Worker I/II (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsCo-Workers are supportive, helpful and always positive. The training is up to date and constant. The work is rewarding and always different.

ConsThe job can be stressful.

Did you know if you are a care provider registered with IHSS you have no rights?

Home Health Aide (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsIn good conscience I don't have any pros for a system that is so unfairly stacked against a provider.

ConsNobody's protecting you if the client won't cooperate and sign your timeslip; IHSS won't give you a heads-up if the clients are mentally unbalanced and/or just out of control --you are on your own. The union you are forced to join, SEIU-UHW, is a joke, as they can't make a client cooperate, they just advise you to sue them in small claims court, but they sure want their monthly dues. All the rights are with the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp from the top down. Give a heads up to the provider if the client has a history of being difficult or has a high turnover of providers. If a provider has worked for a client and the client refuses to sign a timeslip or cooperate, support the provider, pay the provider and deal with the client on your own. Stop forcing IHSS providers to join the union.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad

In Home Support Services (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsMake your own hours sometimes

ConsUnderpaid for hard work and no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Disappointing, disingenuous and totally shocked by their behavior and conduct.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsPurposeful mission. This agency is in charge of helping the needy and yet it can't manage it's own staff guided by compassion.

ConsManagement team should have strong knowledge base and high ethics, my opinion is they are sorely lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurround yourself with managers who have smarts, intellect, and guts. "Yes" people are dangerous.

Facilitator

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsVery innovative, interesting clientele. I feel I can be expressive, be part of a team and serve others. I meet wonderful folks in the community and learn from my colleagues. This is a very collaborative and informed team.

ConsThis is part-time contract position and you don't always get included to all the internal communication.

A great place to work!

(Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsI love my job! I have had a long career in my field working in the private sector, always being held accountable for some big-wigs bottom line. Here, we are allowed to contribute to the greater good without the overhead of worrying whether we'll have a job at the end of a bad quarter. There are many opportunities for career development and the benefits are excellent. Love my manager, love my department, and I love the work I do here. Managers generally seem very supportive of their reports (but mine is the BEST).

ConsThere is some bureaucracy and you have to pay into a union. So, if that's a show stopper for you, then it wouldn't be a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. And don't flouridate the water, please.

Great People

Computer/Network Support (Current Employee) Sonoma, CA

ProsGood support provides great responses from people who seem to genuinely care.

ConsNot going to get rich anytime soon doing this!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the government wants to be dependent on technology, they have to realize people who understand it cost money.

Care Giver, In-Home Support, Heath Care

Ihss Provider (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

Proscompetative wages, union benefits, working directly for clients, flexible schedule, state agency

Constakes forever to get registered and backpay

Advice to Senior Managementquicker and easier registration, ability to be paid while waiting the months for backgroud checks and orientaion and quicker timeslips

County of Sonoma- Mixed Emotions, but overall positive.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsWorking for the County of Sonoma has many positive benefits similar to working for any County government. You get 15 minutes breaks every hour and generally supervisors are very lenient and understanding. One of the best things is that since the County is such a big employer that there is some security associated with that. Additionally, there are a number of good but not great support services that are offered like a number of career training classes, web help, and much more. Also, taking time off never seems to be a problem and there is not the added pressure of deadlines quite like there is in the private sector.

ConsWhile working at the County level can be rewarding at sometimes there are many small aspects that can be a bit frustrating. For one, the pace of all the bureaucracy can get very frustrating. If you are in a position that has to get things out you may be waiting on other government entities that seems to take their time getting things done. The next biggest problem that I have is that you have to political correct many times. You are working in a county government which is one of the most political sensitive areas to work, however this depends on which office you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy more open to new ideas and the future. One of the most frustrating aspects not mentioned above is the slow pace at which change is adapted in the County system. Overall, there are a few managers that have started accepting things like flex time, but do to the county's rigid structure many managers are reluctant to do this. Another great example is attire and work place atmosphere. At my office we try and display a high level of professionalism which means no music during the day and shirt and tie everyday except Fridays. Overall Senior Management really varies from which office is the County you work for.

Worked for County of Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!