County of Sonoma Reviews

1. Proceed with Caution...but this can be a great place to work/retire

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma

Pros

Sonoma County is a beautiful place to live, the county compensation package is generally pretty good, the health insurance and retirement package are excellent.

Cons

Micromanagement. The employees are usually all in a union and it takes a lot of documented mis-behavior for someone to lose their job. This means that many people in the same job class perform at many different levels. There are the people that don't care and perform at their minimum expectations, and then there are the people that run circles around them and are compensated at the same rate. Funds are usually short to buy the items needed to perform your job well, but you will continue to see money wasted on other unnecessary things for YEARS. It takes years to make progress because there is so many levels of bureaucracy and red-tape to get through. Its easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission to do anything. But really...I loved working there, it was just continually frustrating, because as much as I wanted to make a difference I couldnt...in the bug picture. But maybe I did for some people. :o)

Advice to Management

Care about the information coming up from the trenches of hard workers. And make sure change happens for the better. You are the advocates for the community and your employees. Your job is important, so please dont stop caring.

2. Cronyism at it best. Very political, toxic at times.

Current Employee - Peace Officer
    Current Employee - Peace Officer

I have been working at County of Sonoma

Pros

Work with some good people, not all are that good. There is some interesting work and you can use this position to launch into another career.

Cons

Too much overtime. Too many people get hurt at work.

Very backward office environment. Little to no office automation or systems exist.

Promotions are based upon cronyism and nepotism not skills, training, education abilities or experience.

Women cannot break through the glass ceiling to advance into management ranks.

Large pockets of chauvinistic altitudes exist among male employees, many of which, are in management.
    Benefits are very expensive.

This line of work will take a toll on person emotionally, physically and spiritually. Basically you become jaded towards anyone.

Advice to Management

Evolve from a 1960’s organizational culture to one that is more contemporary.

Create a fair and objective promotion policy emphasizing professional development and formal education. Currently the absences of a promotion policy means legal exposure if challenged in the courts.

Use all available office automation to reduce internal administrative cost and times.

Create a “work smart not hard” vision.

Develop a more diverse work force that reflect the community its serve.

Promote more women into management ranks on the patrol side, not the detention side.

Re-write jobs minimal qualification to enter supervisory or management, applicant must have at least 4 years of college.

Many stupid decision can be traced back to an uneducated manager or administrator.

3. Terrible Management

Current Employee - Eligibility Worker in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Worker in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma

Pros

I enjoyed the job and the abililty to help those in need

Cons

Inadequate training, unreasonable job demands. Management burns through their budget by hiring, training and laying off. Does not care about retaining employees or working with them. About 20-40% of each hired class makes it through probation. Once you are through probation, they lay off you and lessen your work load

Advice to Management

You need to update your practice. Health care is changing and you need to rething your expectations. You are only effecting the very people you are trying to serve by constantly hiring new employees instead of working with the ones you have

5. County of Sonoma

Former Employee - Department Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Department Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once hired, fairly stable position. Offers good benefits and time off. Safe and comfortable work environment. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Benefits are expensive and do not have flexibility in choosing levels of coverage. Change takes forever unless it comes out of the Adminstrator's office. Employees are not treated equally with regards to promotions.

Advice to Management

Offer employees more options with regards to health plan levels of service. Do not tell one employee they cannot promote without open recruitment and then do that very thing for an employee within the administrative department.

Outdated methods of hiring talent

Current Contractor - Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

once in, its good to work here

Cons

hard to get an interview due to outdated ranking methodologies and beuracracy

Advice to Management

Hire talent on resume, not ranking by HR folks unfamiliar with field of work.

7. Felt like home

Former Employee - Eligibility Worker I/II in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Worker I/II in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers are supportive, helpful and always positive. The training is up to date and constant. The work is rewarding and always different.

Cons

The job can be stressful.

8. Did you know if you are a care provider registered with IHSS you have no rights?

Former Contractor - Home Health Aide in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Contractor - Home Health Aide in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

In good conscience I don't have any pros for a system that is so unfairly stacked against a provider.

Cons

Nobody's protecting you if the client won't cooperate and sign your timeslip; IHSS won't give you a heads-up if the clients are mentally unbalanced and/or just out of control --you are on your own. The union you are forced to join, SEIU-UHW, is a joke, as they can't make a client cooperate, they just advise you to sue them in small claims court, but they sure want their monthly dues. All the rights are with the client.

Advice to Management

Revamp from the top down. Give a heads up to the provider if the client has a history of being difficult or has a high turnover of providers. If a provider has worked for a client and the client refuses to sign a timeslip or cooperate, support the provider, pay the provider and deal with the client on your own. Stop forcing IHSS providers to join the union.

Bad

Current Employee - In Home Support Services in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - In Home Support Services in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own hours sometimes

Cons

Underpaid for hard work and no benefits

Advice to Management

Pay more

10. Disappointing, disingenuous and totally shocked by their behavior and conduct.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at County of Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Purposeful mission. This agency is in charge of helping the needy and yet it can't manage it's own staff guided by compassion.

Cons

Management team should have strong knowledge base and high ethics, my opinion is they are sorely lacking.

Advice to Management

Surround yourself with managers who have smarts, intellect, and guts. "Yes" people are dangerous.

11. Facilitator

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at County of Sonoma as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very innovative, interesting clientele. I feel I can be expressive, be part of a team and serve others. I meet wonderful folks in the community and learn from my colleagues. This is a very collaborative and informed team.

Cons

This is part-time contract position and you don't always get included to all the internal communication.

County of Sonoma Photos