Coupa Software Inc

Coupa Software Inc Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Coupa Software Inc CEO Rob Bernshteyn

Rob Bernshteyn

Pros
  • Product and the genuine and relentless focus on Customer Success rocks(in 9 reviews)

• I specifically joined Coupa because I wanted to make a difference(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management by fear, your efforts are not appreciated(in 3 reviews)

• Top performers at Coupa barely make quota, and then they change the comp plan and move the bar higher(in 3 reviews)

Scaling and Executing

Management (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsStrong consistently developing team focused on Excellence.

ConsCan be demanding but rewarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great place to work

Customer Care Engineer (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsOne of the things about this company that stand out (to me) is the people. I have never been a part of a company where we worked so cohesively as a team. Not that there aren't issues but whatever comes up tends to be dealt with right away or so minor as to not even be an issue.

ConsThe move from being a small company to a large one causes some chaos.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

great opportunity, fast growing B2B company on solid codebase

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat focus on figuring out how to do things the right way, not just accepting customer requirements and implementing them.
    Tons of opportunities to identify an area to add value, take ownership and execute.
    Desire/Ability to make big swings and take calculated risks, whether that means choosing Ruby on Rails for an enterprise app in 2006 to rewriting the mobile app from scratch for iOS7

ConsYou'll work as much as you want to. Don't burn yourself out. Learn to say no, set your own boundaries and ask for more resources as you need them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to staff up early enough to make sure new employees are production before the next wave comes in.
    Keep the culture as strong as the next 100 people as the first 200.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Business Operations (Former Employee) Del Mar, CA

ProsGreat Management
    Pleasing work atmosphere
    Great Location

ConsPay was not too high for non-CS positions

Great Culture - Very Flexible and Supports Professional Goals to the Max

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsCompany Culture - Fun, innovative, productive, work-hard/play-hard
    Company Outlook - great to work for a company growing so fast
    Customer Feedback - no one is perfect, but customers overwhelmingly positive toward Coupa

ConsExpected to work hard when needed. Ownership and responsibility is time consuming.
    B2B - so clients can be big and powerful, and sometimes difficult to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in growth - the potential for a B2B company with this kind of culture and product usability is enormous!

Lots of mojo. On the path to HUGE SUCCESS!!

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsProduct and the genuine and relentless focus on Customer Success rocks! Customers are truly happy and they have high adoption. No shelfware - unheard of in the enterprise software space. At my prior companies, unhappy customers and shelfware were huge barriers to upwell/cross-sell/renewals.

All the building blocks for Sales are in place....Very solid Sales leadership. Great support teams - Pre-sales, value, customer success, services. Use of productivity tools (Salesforce and other). Tightly knit with Marketing and Channels / Partners. None of the BS you see in large companies - overlays, reporting to multiple bosses, periodic status updates. Enviable track record of head-to-head competitive wins.

Company Leaders are visionary and inspiring. Lots of passion and energy. Overall, a great place for people who truly are committed to excellence and impact.

On the right path to "home run" success!

ConsLots of new faces because of rapid growth. The challenge will be to maintain the mojo as we rapidly scale.

This is not a "con" - but this is not the best fit for people who like to wait on the sidelines before everything is figured out.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your steady leadership and proactively address the challenges that come with scale and rapid growth.

Awesome customer-driven culture and fantastic colleagues in a company that is taking off like a rocket ship!!!

Sales (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsVERY customer-centric culture where everyone will drop what they are doing to make sure our customers are successful. Never seen anything like it. The leadership team are open-minded, collaborative, make quick decisions and are not afraid to take risk. I really like that I do not have to create a bunch of powerpoint slides and wait for a committee meeting in order to get my proposals approved. If you have good ideas and you're on a path to be successful nobody is going to micro-manage you. However if you need help, you will get help. It is a very collaborative culture where everyone will help out where and when needed. Happy referencable customers, great product that actually works, crispest value prop in the world, and the press, partners and analysts love us. We have a proven sales methodology and all the tools and sales enablement services that money can buy. It's a late stage pre-IPO start-up poised for success. What is there not to like?

ConsNo obvious red flags, but we still have that start-up mentality and not everything is perfect just yet but we're getting there fast. Some form of self-sufficiency and professional proficiency, patience, personal initiative, etc. is expected and required. You can't just sit and wait for everything to be arranged for you. I joined just over a year ago and probably haven't worked harder in my life. But that is of my own doing, nobody is imposing any unrealistic deadlines on me. I do that myself. The energy here is palpable, and people are passionate, driven and direct. The latter words are often "code words" for less desirable cultural aspects but not here. I haven't met somebody I didn't like here and I personally really appreciate the ability to have an authentic, respectful and constructive conversation.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave our remote employees to spend more time at headquarters so they can really appreciate all the energy that Team Coupa generates. Going forward only hire people with the right personality profile who will thrive in a start-up environment and have the ability to grow to the next level and who are not afraid to put some skin in the game themselves.

4 P's of a Great Company (Platform, People, Process, Pioneering, insPirational)

Sales (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsCoupa is GREAT company. Great product, great management team, innovating at an unheard of pace. Absolutely taking over a market.

ConsRunning fast and doesn't have time to wait for those who are slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementLittle more emotional intelligence, little more transparency, keep up the good work.

Great experience after leaving a tier 1 ERP company. Join this company if you want to be part of an early Salesforce.com

Regional Sales Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat product that blows away the competition on demo bakeoffs, unbelievable pace of innovation, strong endorsement by industry analyst, above average solution consultants, strong leadership by the CEO who promotes a refreshingly fun culture, surprisingly good marketing and a lot of press for a company this size, rapidly growing partner network, well constructed sales process and sales collateral to help move along deals, leverages SFDC. I specifically joined Coupa because I wanted to make a difference. I had grown tired of regularly qualifying for Winner's Circles only to have my accounts and my VP shuffled the next year. At Coupa, if you succeed, you will be noticed and rewarded.

ConsYou need to have a roll up your sleeves attitude and be willing to work. If you are a salesperson who is used to sitting back and having leads drop in your lap - or backing up the bus with overlay people selling for you - then Coupa may not be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do the following: (1) hold regular Town Hall meetings to update employees on the growth of the company, (2) Promote a fun culture where employees feel we are "all in this together", (3) Focus on customer success as our main pillar of the company.

Great company - a Rocket Ship!

Sales (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat product. Smart and passionate people. Unprecedented number of reference customers, I have never worked at a company where almost every customer is more than happy and willing to be a reference. Great work/ life balance.

Consbecause of fast growth there is always some logistical challenges that pop up with start ups, but, the company is doing a good job trying to keep the open feel and encourage people to be part of the solution.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and the peddle to the metal with the product design without sacrificing quality.

Worked for Coupa Software Inc? Contribute to the Community!