Coupons.com

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Coupons.com President & CEO Steven R. Boal

Steven R. Boal

Good Experience

Sales Director (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Coupons.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearn a lot, fast paced. Will listen to ideas

ConsNo cons just understand strategic direction can change rapidly with the environment to be expected in this industry.

Non CPG Group is Poison

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Coupons.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThe corporate story is great. Company success is with CPG companies.

ConsThe non-CPG sales organization is pure poison. Disconnected leadership that does not listen or care about client results. Zero collaboration. Stay away from the promise that this CPG solution only needs you and your connections to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should know that data talks, BS walks. Observe the actual trends in the non-CPG group. Distinguish the hype from the real growth curve.

Business Development & Partnership Aquistion Director

Business Development & Partnership Acquisition Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Coupons.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStart up, interesting ability to build a new digital business. Pay was ok, work life balance was good. Tight with $$ for conferences that could have been a great networking and sales opportunity.

ConsUpper management was really out of touch with frontline employees. Focused on growing just those big clients and not expanding into the mid to lower tier where there were less resistance and more partnership opportunities. The partnership model went to a self serve model and i think they lost a lot of opportunities to grow thier publishers network and create more win-win revenue opportunities.

Advice to Senior Managementstop with the tight fisted option sharing and use for retention. Folks have no long term incentive to stay.

Great employees and culture, not so great management.

Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Coupons.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people you work with are great. Everyone is very friendly and fun. Free lunch every day.

ConsManagement has their favorites and everyone else gets shown no appreciation and worked to the bone. High stress environment. Lots of politics and biases.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally.

Great company - unless in a satellite office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Coupons.com part-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, smart people. Really interesting space to be in - technology driven.

ConsI worked in a satellite office and felt very disconnected from the larger company. HR was often unresponsive to needs outside the core organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that your core company goals/objectives/tenets are being communicated throughout the organization....even if the organization isn't physically in CA.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Coupons.com

ProsSuccessful advertising concept works great.

ConsInexperienced managers outnumber employees 2 to 1

Advice to Senior Managementshow up

Not a dynamic, interesting company

Marketing (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Coupons.com as a contractor

ProsFree lunch, drinks, and snacks
Good location for commuters
Pretty good pay

ConsCoupons has all of the trappings of a "hip" Silicon Valley environment: fridges filled with drinks, snacks galore, and catered (albeit pretty unhealthy) lunches. However, below the surface, it's a drab, lifeless place. Any idea you may get of this being a "fun" company is completely false; it's a sad cubicle farm with quiet, beaten-down employees. Lower management has an iron grip on their employees, often putting up roadblocks without giving any clear communication as to why. Though a lot of managers here are women, it's clear that they favor the men in the office, allowing them to push back more often when ideas aren't universally liked. Any new ideas that you enter the company with are quickly ignored in favor of doing things the way they've always been done. There is also little-to-no contact from HR or upper management if you need to voice concerns about your work environment.

If you're seeking stability, beware: this company's practice of hiring contractors is suspect. If you are entering in a contract role with the intent of converting, think long and hard if you want to be a contractor for a year or more. They started me on a nebulous 3-6 month contract, with the idea that I would be converted in about 2 months. That conversation never happened again; it's just more important that their bottom line looks good rather than if they treat their employees with respect by giving them full-time jobs with benefits.

If you're in your early, mid, or late twenties, don't waste your life here. There are much better places to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let lower management bully employees. Create a system with HR so that complaints can be heard and addressed before they get out of control. Innovate - your company depends on it!

Politics trump merit

I worked at Coupons.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people you work with. The perks (although almost every other company in the Valley has them too).

ConsThe people you work for. Unfortunately, politics get in the way and sometimes the people who work the hardest are not the ones getting what they deserve. But, if you are friends with the right people (read - management), your outlook may be different.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They most times DO know better.

Clueless management

I worked at Coupons.com

ProsCatered lunch every day. Management trying to instill cool culture.

ConsToo many layers of managers. Founder losing his entrepreneur spirit. Internal competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your root

Hardwork = Growth + Reward

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Coupons.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Brilliant CEO! He can steer his ship with other very wise C-level leadership team.
-Fast paced - Highly recommended for people who are motivated and seek knowledge and self-development.
- Benefits are great and company gives back to the community.

Cons- You will be expected to perform and give your best.

Advice to Senior ManagementVP's need to lead to take company to next level. If you cant, step aside.

Worked for Coupons.com? Contribute to the Community!

Coupons.com – Why Work for Us?

Coupons.com Incorporated is the leader in digital coupons, including online printable, social, mobile and loyalty card promotions. The company is the driving force in transforming the multi-billion dollar coupon… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coupons.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Coupons.com CEO Steven R. Boal. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Coupons.com employees.