Course Hero

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
4.3

Andrew Grauer

Pros
  • The work with Books for Africa made the internship worthwhile (in 6 reviews)

• if humanitarianism is your thing, this is a really easy way to do it through their Knowledge Drive Project (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of working online rather than face to face, some may like it, others may not (in 4 reviews)

• hard to get started and get students to sign up (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It's amazing to work for a company you are proud to be a part of

Current Intern - Student Manager
    Current Intern - Student Manager

I have been working at Course Hero as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Ever since starting my internship more than a year go, I have felt appreciated, motivated and encouraged. This company is all about students helping students. It's been a wonderful experience thus far. Not only is beneficial to me and my Course Hero team, but the knowledge drive makes you feel good about the work your doing every day. The Course Hero site is set up to help me succeed as a student, however resources such as these are something i take for granted. This is why I love that Course Hero partners with Books for Africa. It allows me to give back. It allows me to help students achieve goals and dreams that could change their lives, the lives of their family and their community. This company is backed by an amazing group of people and an even greater purpose.

Cons

The fact that my internship was mainly online made it a little overwhelming at times, but that's where corporate America is heading. Everything is done online, so it's not really a con as it is just a lesson I had to learn and a change I had to adapt to.

Great Initiative Backed by Great People

Former Employee - Student Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Course Hero part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My work experience at Course Hero was nothing but positive. Even though I worked from a remote office, I was always in constant contact with my superior and never felt like I couldn't reach out (even with the time difference). He made me feel extremely welcome to the company and absolutely helped me grow in my position - so much so that I was promoted. Working to push their Knowledge Drive initiative was also a great opportunity - using this philanthropic venture to their benefit was a great idea on the company's part and something I think helped them tremendously, along with all of the children who received books.

Cons

Once I was promoted, my position was a bit unclear. It was sort of an ad-hoc job (which was fine), but because I worked remotely, didn't work out in the long term.

Excellent resume builder and experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Course Hero as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work was paid, not super well, but hey internships are not known for being super well paid. Not all internships are paid at all these days. The manager that I had the pleasure of working with was kind and thoughtful. He was clear about what was expected of me. He also understood that every week was different. Some weeks were easy and other weeks were more challenging. That being said, the hours were flexible. I had another internship along with this one. I did part time for both. It worked out well. I wanted to do the work because it was a win-win situation. I could help other people study. It was also philanthropic which I loved. The money was good because I could say that it was a paid internship.

Cons

I was worried that the work was unethical for a while. After further reflection, I have concluded that Course Hero is just a tool. Tools can be abuse, but they are not inherently bad or good. All I could do is hope for the best of my fellow peers and to do my best not to pollute. It was a lot of work and not a lot of pay, but I enjoyed the work and learned from it.

Keep up the good work.

Valuable experience that gave me the skills necessary to continue on after college

Former Employee - Professional Development Intern
    Former Employee - Professional Development Intern

I worked at Course Hero (less than a year)

Pros

You gain valuable leadership and organizational skills that will definitely help you in the future. The managers are extremely helpful at guiding you through everything and take into account your own personal situation if there are time issues. It is also for a great cause and you are able to benefit through financial means and it is a great resume builder!

Cons

It can be difficult to balance schoolwork with the required work for the internship however the managers are very understanding in that a student's focus should always be school first.

Not what I expected. I guess it is what you make it.

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Course Hero

Pros

Work on your own time.

Cons

Really just ended up bothering friends for notes. made about $80 the whole summer.

It was a different view of how they went to market.

Current Intern - Course Hero Intern in Richmond, VA
    Current Intern - Course Hero Intern in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Course Hero as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You got to manage your own schedule which allowed for a lot of flexibility and you can basically work anywhere in the US.

Cons

Didn't have that much guidance to what exactly you are suppose to accomplish.

Good internship as an underclassmen in college with opportunity for growth.

Current Intern - Student Manager/
    Current Intern - Student Manager/

I have been working at Course Hero as an intern

Pros

Course Hero allows you to develop your time management and interpersonal skills. It's up to you to reach out to friends and classmates in an attempt to create a valuable study tool for other students. The compensation is alright. It used to be better but now it's more strict and not necessarily worth all the time. My manager was very caring and always checked in on me to see if I needed any help. Great resume builder!

Cons

Ethics is a big concern of mine and I still don't trust it 100%. The revenue stream is questionable and I'm not sure how they stay in business but I still got paid. It was very hard to persuade students to upload their documents and become a member as opposed to sticking with their old study habits. Much concern over the ethics of uploading old notes/tests, especially when it came to essays. The development program is simply a bunch of PPT slides which didn't contribute to my growth as a manager.

Try to better implement the development program and apply the skills to the job. Also make the ethics issue more clear and potentially set up a group call with the CEO for reassurance purposes. o

Not what I expected

Former Intern - Campus Business
    Former Intern - Campus Business

I worked at Course Hero as an intern

Pros

It teaches you a lot about recruiting and how to recruit the right people for you team as Campus Business Development Intern. Other than that, it was not worth the money.

Cons

Hard to recruit people in the summer, so compensation was not as easy as they said. Did not like the weekly meetings over skype, felt it did nothing to help me recruit and develop my proessional skills.

Great Stepping Stone

Former Intern - Intern in Tampa, FL
    Former Intern - Intern in Tampa, FL

I worked at Course Hero as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This internship is perfect for someone who has some free time during their junior year looking for a resume builder. You can work from anywhere, make money, and gain some great communication skills. It's a nice stepping stone to prepare you for a more serious internship or job. Working with the Knowlege Drive is really cool. It is rewarding and others love to hear about it. This internship taught me a lot about time management and meeting deadlines. My manager was also so kind and understanding. The pay was good, considering that most internships aren't paid.

Cons

At times it can be hard to describe to other students what you're trying to do. Some don't understand Course Hero's purpose. Also, it's definitely not an ideal senior year internship (depending on how much experience you're looking to gain). You'll learn a little bit about business and marketing, but not too much you didn't learn in an intro course.

Course hero is great.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Course Hero as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

great understanding people, competitive pay

Cons

remote location, never meet the people you work with

Course Hero Photos