CourseTrends

CourseTrends Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Alan Stalcup

Great place to work

ProsI've read all the other reviews and I'll be transparent in saying that I've seen some of those negative things, but I've seen them in every career field. This place is fun, very relaxed environment and they're willing to do whatever it takes to help someone keep their job. I've seen multiple people screw up big time or not perform to expectations and they would work with them to help them keep their job.

ConsMy previous career I had 12 days vacation each year and 5 sick days. There are no sick days here so that kind of stinks and you don't get your vacation up front, you accumulate each month.
    And I would also love to see a 401k option or retirement plan etc. As much as I love this place I don't think it's a place I could retire from.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly I'm a huge fan of my immediate supervisor as well as our CEO. They are both very supportive to me both personally and professionally and the times when they come down on us it's for a reason.

If you appreciate competence, you'll find a great home here

ProsThe management style at CourseTrends is definitely "No-Nonsense". The communication is straightforward, direct and honest. Sometimes you don't hear what you want to, but being handled with mittens is not what helps you grow as a professional.

The entire company is a meritocracy and is extremely rewarding if you apply yourself. Micro management is almost non-existent -- you are expected to solve your own problems. This results in an amazing level of empowerment where you can define your own success.

The end result is that the people who stick around here are highly competent and motivated individuals. If that describes you, you'd love the work environment.

ConsThe company is growing fast and that sometimes leads to operational hiccups.

People who can't handle constructive criticism end up getting their feeling hurt when presented with honest feedback.

Stay focused, work hard and you'l enjoy yourself at CourseTrends

(Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI think alot of past employee's misunderstood their goals and intentions before starting to work at CourseTrends. If you are simply looking for a place to hang out all day, do a little work and get a paycheck...then no, CourseTrends is not for you. But if you are looking to continuously work hard and grow, then this company could be a good fit for you.

"Work hard" here doesnt mean 50-60 hour weeks...it simply means get to work on time, do your tasks as layed out for you and aim to meet your goals as best as possible during your 40 hours.

In this company, a solid work ethic is the most important thing. Yes, upper management can be tough at times, but those who can see through that, are rewarded with lots of knowledge and experience they probably wouldn't get at most other companies.

And plus you can enjoy an all expenses paid (including salary) week off to go on one of the three annual volunteering trips outside the USA (they'll even pay for your passport if you don't have one).

ConsMinimal company culture
    No 401k benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter coffee would go a long way....

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast-paced, high pressure work environment yields results

ProsThis is a highly competitive, quickly growing company. Hard work pays off - literally. The bonus and commission system provides tremendous incentive to work. The company pays for employees to go on service trips to Central America.

ConsManagement does not "sugar-coat" criticism and coaching, especially for new employees. It gets results, but thin-skinned individuals might not do well in this environment. PTO is minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to coach and develop employees and provide opportunities for internal advancement.

Great company with high energy and growth opportunities.

Account Management (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsCourseTrends is a company that emphasizes performance and success. The environment is high energy where new opportunities for both professional and personal growth abound. Employees are encouraged to continually share ideas and provide feedback to help in the company's growth. It's a "smallish" company which is great because everyone (including managers and even the owner) is on a first-name basis. It's a dynamic company that continually adds new services and features to stay ahead of the technology curve. It's definitely not the place to be if you want an "easy" job that never changes. I love that fact as it continually encourages me to up my game and learn new skills and grow professionally. Effort is always recognized and equally rewarded by management. CourseTrends also has a firm commitment to giving back to the community. Each year, employees are encouraged to take advantage of one of several company-paid trips to Honduras, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic to assist with various charitable organizations and their efforts to improve their communities. All in all, CourseTrends is a great company to work for. Is it perfect? No. But after nearly 7 years of as a very satisfied member of the CourseTrends team, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a great opportunity to grow professionally...and financially.

ConsWould like to see a company supported 401k option.

A complete disappointment to see employees being treated this way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a paycheck
    You have the opportunity to eat a lot of food with co-workers

ConsWorst work environment I have ever encountered
    Very stressful
    Constantly getting YELLED at
    Employees treated like garbage
    Unrealistic goals and constantly changing expectations
    Complete lack of respect for employees and customers

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others as you'd like to be treated. Life is too short to waste time working for people like you.

Worst company ever

Sales (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIf you are new to Austin it could be a spring board until you find a better job. Definitely not a long term gig. CEO treats people like dogs and acts like he's doing them a favor but doesn't take care of his employees the way a company can and should

ConsThis place is only a benefit to you until you find your next job. Turnover is a problem bc it's near impossible to get a worthy commission. Benefits are terrible...obamacare might actually help you if you work here
    Healthcare
    Pto
    Management

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people the way you want to be treated not like peons

Pay for performance type organization

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsQuickly growing company with lots of opportunities for those who desire more responsibility. Good work is recognized quickly and raises can be large and frequent if you're motivated. Some unique benefits, including a fully paid for week long overseas volunteer service trip to areas such as Honduras, Nicaragua, The Dominican Republic, or Africa.

ConsThin skinned people or those who cannot handle criticism will not do well here. Shoddy work or poor performance will be noticed quickly. Minimal PTO. No 401(k) or other retirement benefits. Health insurance is OK, not great.

Interesting negative reviews disappeared....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI cant think of one besides the customers.

ConsPromises broken by owner, unrealistic goals, when yo do meet them they change. Belittling of employees.

Growing, Fast Paced Company with a Solid Work Environment

Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe company is successful, growing quickly, and pumping out new jobs everyday. The workers are close and get along well; most workers hang out with each other outside of work. Job security is good as long as you get your work done. Very good perks - a few golf tournaments a year employees can choose to play in, plus discounts at local courses. Company also comps a week long trip for each employee every year to poverty stricken countries in or near the Caribbean to do Volunteer work. Its a tight, hard working company.

ConsWork can be stressful at times and you can sometimes feel overwhelmed with work. The place can chew you up sometimes. If you don't have thick skin, this is not the place for you. Pay also starts out low, but does get better if you put in the hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between management; at times, management doesn't seem to be on the same page with each other. Perhaps management could also follow through more often with what they say will happen or what they say they will do; for example, giving employees reviews or raises but then taking a month or even longer to actually execute the action item.

Worked for CourseTrends? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CourseTrends reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CourseTrends CEO Alan Stalcup. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by CourseTrends employees.