CourseTrends Reviews

3.1
Alasdair (Ali) Murdoch
1 Rating

1. Full Charge Bookkeeper / HR Specialist

Former Employee - Full Charge Bookkeeper/Human Resources Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Family environment / Wonderful people to work with Excellent pay Excellent benefits Challenging work environment

Cons

I can not think of any cons to working for this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Job!

2. Stay Away

I worked at CourseTrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The individuals who work there can be some honest, good people. But they cycle through so fast that you don't get a chance to really get any good work done.

Cons

The management is horrendous. The mangers don't really know or understand people management. They don't reward for success, instead they promote fear of reprisal in order to make you do your job. Management has, at times, called the employees (en mass) a bunch of clown shoes, assclowns, morons, and freeloaders. Not the way you treat employees.

Dont drink the KoolAid

Former Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX

Pros

Coworkers are generally nice and customers are who you are there working hard for.

Cons

You can sign documents that state that you will be paid a certain amount for "bonus" but when it comes time to get paid bonus, owner will not pay. Even after 4 years in the court process, I was still not able to be paid what was due. Had 2 signed documents and still did not receive agreed upon bonus. The owner will belittle and humiliate you to the point of feeling like a sub par human. Please think twice and review what you are going to be paid and have lawyers review documents as well.

Advice to Management

When yo promise to pay a bonus, pay it and not waste time nor resources.

5. A great company to learn & advance your career

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at CourseTrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After working at CourseTrends for almost 3 years, I felt obligated to post my opinion following some of the not so positive reviews here on Glassdoor. Based on a majority of the reviews, it seems like people expected to join a company and then not have to work very hard. CourseTrends is like every other company on this planet; they are aiming to be profitable. And one of the pieces of this is to maximize employee's output. This is not a place you can show up to work an hour late, browse the internet for 75% of your day and cut out early. While you are NOT usually expected to work more than 40 hours per week, you are expected to perform to your maximum potential while at work. I see nothing wrong with this and even see it is a major plus over most other companies. I learned so much during my time at CourseTrends that I moved to a much higher position at another company in Austin. Not only did I gain valuable experience, I gained an enormous about of confidence in my skills. I have absolutely zero regrets about working at CourseTrends and honestly think that the people who have left negative reviews had expectations that they could just show up at work and slide through the day. And in regards to salary...work hard, be ambitious and produce results and you will be greatly rewarded.

Cons

There could probably be a little more office culture; this would increase inter-office friendships and different departments could share their product observations to strengthen the overall product.

Advice to Management

I do have to admit the coffee is pretty bad...upgrade the coffee!!!

Challenging sales environment, extremely beneficial

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

Pros

I started having little knowledge of sales tactics or technique and had no experience making outbound phone calls. Within a month, I felt extremely comfortable on the phone, thanks to some direct coaching. The inside sales role provided the experience I needed in order to advance my career professionally, and during my time at CourseTrends, I felt like I was able to contribute to a company which is quickly growing in a competitive market. Alan has been kind and generous to my family and genuinely cares for the needs of the employees. There are yearly mission trips, which are all-expenses-paid, which were extremely enjoyable. A sales position at CourseTrends is your classic pay-for-performance sales role. You get paid based on the effort you put into it.

Cons

The market is extremely competitive, and GolfNow owns a lot of the space. Often challenging to differentiate and distinguish our services from theirs. The training involves extremely direct coaching, so thin-skinned individuals may have trouble with the training. Excellence is certainly an expectation and poor performance is noticed.

Advice to Management

As a salesperson, it would have been extremely helpful to have marketing coverage to generate inbound and/or warmer leads. Events, B2B email marketing, etc. I think steps are being made with the social media activity, etc., but there could be more.

Very challenging sales envirionment, great pay per performance incentive, excellent sales environment.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay per performance, monthly bonuses, paid in full mission trips to help others.

Cons

Having to weed out the weak minded people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive feedback about a small company that is growing and always willing to adapt to changing business environments!

Good learning experience. Poor management and shady business practices though.

Pros

I learned a lot at this job and enjoyed the people I worked eith.

Cons

Management was terrible. Office was dark and depressing.

Bad management

Pros

Small company, advancement opportunity (though there is a glass ceiling), rewards for performance.

Cons

Most of the negative reviews are correct to an extent, but people are putting too much blame on the company owner. Yes, he is a jerk, but so are many entrepreneurs. The owner stepped away from the company and we all expected improvements that never came. In fact, things got worse. The problem is that this management team is nothing more than a bunch of incompetent yes-men, and they lost the person they were saying yes to. The managers are purely reactive and have no ideas. They are paralyzed and unable to execute even the simplest of plans without falling on their faces. They have excuses for every failure, from the owner to vendors to competitors to employees, but the truth is that it is them. I have never been around such a stupendous level of incompetence. This management team has no business managing any person or any task, and they have proven time after time that they are not up to it.

Advice to Management

Start over. Fire every VP that has been there more than six months immediately.

You do not want to be a customer of or an employee with this company.......

Pros

There are good people who work there.

Cons

The owner is unethical and a bully. Doesn't care about customers or employees. Will lie, cheat and berate to get what he wants. Hires employees and consultants under false pretenses. Trying to cash out and lies to any interested party who will listen. Won't pay his employees fairly and benefits are substandard.

Advice to Management

Management team members should all leave. There are much better opportunities out there. The company is a sinking ship with Alan at the helm.

Please Do Not Accept A Job Offer Here

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can wear whatever you want to work (for the most part): shorts/sandals/hats/jeans/etc... Employees have good relationships with each other.

Cons

Pay is very, very, bad. I'm embarrassed to tell people how much I make at CourseTrends. CourseTrends does NOT issue any raises. Old CEO and current Chairman & Owner is arrogant, aggressive, and a ludicrously poor manager of people. He restricts pay, keeps turnover high, and is verbally abusive. The benefits are awful. Management seems to go out of their way to make you feel disrespected and not valued. I cannot describe how awful the work environment is in that office. Please, please, please do not accept a job offer with this company. Exhaust all of your other options before settling for this exceptionally poor company.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel valued and they will work harder for you. Currently, you treat us so poorly that my friends don't believe me when I tell them how you treat us.

RSS Feed </> Embed