CourseTrends

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014
3.4

Alan Stalcup

Great People! Great work atmosphere!

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees at Course Trends are Wonderful! This is the type of work place that quickly becomes a "Second Family environment". It's truly a wonderful working atmosphere.
    Course Trends is a rapidly expanding company that offers good opportunities for those that seek additional responsibilities and look to succeed.
    Course Trends rewards quite well with large and frequent salary raises for those that truly give of themselves in their position.

Course Trends is a very charitable company that is involved with several Christian Missionary Organizations such as Honduras Good Works, Austin Samaritans, Makarios among others. The company offers the opportunity for each employee to take a One Week - all expense paid mission trip to Honduras, Nicaragua and The Dominican Republic to help out in different service projects that these Organizations have going on in these countries. It is a great opportunity to help out those less fortunate in these countries and it seems to help those that get involved to have a different perspective on our own lives. It shows to be a very rewarding experience for all that go and get involved.

Other benefits Course Trends offer are twelve PTO days a year on top of the normal paid holidays and of course the one week paid time off to participate in the International Service projects.

Medical benefits are provided and paid for by Course Trends for the employee.

Cons

No 401 or Retirement plan offered

Long term, continuous success at growing, innovative, stable company

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Successful work environment, team works hard to achieve results, pay for performance culture

Cons

You won't fit in here if you do not like to be accountable to the results of your work

Keep on truckin'

Quickly growing company with a constantly evolving and interesting environment

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for less than a year

Pros

CourseTrends is a very quickly growing company, and consequently, an employee will frequently end up performing a broad spectrum of jobs. Having recently come from a slower paced big corporate world, I find the challenge and variety of work interesting and engaging, and look forward to coming to work every day. There is a constant sense of opportunity and potential here, and hard work will lead to greater responsibility and authority as the company surges to its next level. An exciting place to work.

Cons

That same fast-paced environment and rapid growth can sometimes cause a very high pressure environment. As an employee, a lot is riding on you, and the criticism and pressure to improve can weigh on you. However, I've found that this pressure to improve always has the underpinning that you *can* and probably will improve, and that management will help you get there.

Benefits and PTO are on the low side of the field. But - I am not rating this lower on the "compensation & benefits" section because the overall company philosophy appears to be to make up for benefits with increased compensation, effectively "monetizing" what would have been personal time off or more subsidized health insurance at another firm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work and Establish a Career

Current Employee - Account Services  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are very helpful in wanting employees to grow and learn from the time spent with the company. Its a great work environment and there is great camaraderie between all of the employees. The CEO wants everyone to succeed and even offers opportunities to travel to third world countries once a year to help the under privileged.

Cons

Dealing with customers and false accusations can get somewhat tiresome, but CourseTrends always comes up with the best solutions and will always do what they can to make customers happy.

Sometimes it seems as though the training can be put on the back burner for new employees but they are always flexible depending on the person and how much time they need to get comfortable.

Great place to work

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've read all the other reviews and I'll be transparent in saying that I've seen some of those negative things, but I've seen them in every career field. This place is fun, very relaxed environment and they're willing to do whatever it takes to help someone keep their job. I've seen multiple people screw up big time or not perform to expectations and they would work with them to help them keep their job.

Cons

My previous career I had 12 days vacation each year and 5 sick days. There are no sick days here so that kind of stinks and you don't get your vacation up front, you accumulate each month.
    And I would also love to see a 401k option or retirement plan etc. As much as I love this place I don't think it's a place I could retire from.

Honestly I'm a huge fan of my immediate supervisor as well as our CEO. They are both very supportive to me both personally and professionally and the times when they come down on us it's for a reason.

If you appreciate competence, you'll find a great home here

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for less than a year

Pros

The management style at CourseTrends is definitely "No-Nonsense". The communication is straightforward, direct and honest. Sometimes you don't hear what you want to, but being handled with mittens is not what helps you grow as a professional.

The entire company is a meritocracy and is extremely rewarding if you apply yourself. Micro management is almost non-existent -- you are expected to solve your own problems. This results in an amazing level of empowerment where you can define your own success.

The end result is that the people who stick around here are highly competent and motivated individuals. If that describes you, you'd love the work environment.

Cons

The company is growing fast and that sometimes leads to operational hiccups.

People who can't handle constructive criticism end up getting their feeling hurt when presented with honest feedback.

Stay focused, work hard and you'l enjoy yourself at CourseTrends

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for more than a year

Pros

I think alot of past employee's misunderstood their goals and intentions before starting to work at CourseTrends. If you are simply looking for a place to hang out all day, do a little work and get a paycheck...then no, CourseTrends is not for you. But if you are looking to continuously work hard and grow, then this company could be a good fit for you.

"Work hard" here doesnt mean 50-60 hour weeks...it simply means get to work on time, do your tasks as layed out for you and aim to meet your goals as best as possible during your 40 hours.

In this company, a solid work ethic is the most important thing. Yes, upper management can be tough at times, but those who can see through that, are rewarded with lots of knowledge and experience they probably wouldn't get at most other companies.

And plus you can enjoy an all expenses paid (including salary) week off to go on one of the three annual volunteering trips outside the USA (they'll even pay for your passport if you don't have one).

Cons

Minimal company culture
    No 401k benefits

Better coffee would go a long way....

Fast-paced, high pressure work environment yields results

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a highly competitive, quickly growing company. Hard work pays off - literally. The bonus and commission system provides tremendous incentive to work. The company pays for employees to go on service trips to Central America.

Cons

Management does not "sugar-coat" criticism and coaching, especially for new employees. It gets results, but thin-skinned individuals might not do well in this environment. PTO is minimal.

Continue to coach and develop employees and provide opportunities for internal advancement.

A complete disappointment to see employees being treated this way.

I worked at CourseTrends full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a paycheck
    You have the opportunity to eat a lot of food with co-workers

Cons

Worst work environment I have ever encountered
    Very stressful
    Constantly getting YELLED at
    Employees treated like garbage
    Unrealistic goals and constantly changing expectations
    Complete lack of respect for employees and customers

Treat others as you'd like to be treated. Life is too short to waste time working for people like you.

Worst company ever

Current Employee - Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are new to Austin it could be a spring board until you find a better job. Definitely not a long term gig. CEO treats people like dogs and acts like he's doing them a favor but doesn't take care of his employees the way a company can and should

Cons

This place is only a benefit to you until you find your next job. Turnover is a problem bc it's near impossible to get a worthy commission. Benefits are terrible...obamacare might actually help you if you work here
    Healthcare
    Pto
    Management

Treat people the way you want to be treated not like peons

Worked for CourseTrends? Contribute to the Community!