CourseTrends

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.2

Alan Stalcup

Don't waste your time at this place.

I have been working at CourseTrends

Pros

Discounted golf, decent salary and some cool people to work with. Plus there are opportunities to travel to other countries and volunteer on the companies dime.

Cons

First, let me point out something about these reviews. Notice that between October and November there were 2 negative reviews. Then there were 12 positive reviews that all had 4 or 5 stars from December 4th to 10th. They were going around asking employees to give a good review and were pretty demanding about it. So these reviews carry no weight in my opinion.

In the time I have worked for this company I have seen about 20 people quit or get fired and about 25 people get hired. I believe that the reasons why this is the case is they make promises (commissions, bonuses etc) and don't follow through. There are 5 people on the management team: 3 of them are very angry people who talk down to employees, are very inconsiderate and don't care about employees.

The benefits are pretty meager, but it became a joke when they recently rolled out a 401K plan. But the laughter came when they informed us that there is no employer match. That's the dumbest thing and pretty selfish for such a small company with multi-million dollar revenues each year.

Maybe relax a little bit, read a book on treating subordinates with respect. I promise it'll create a new type of loyalty if you treat employees with respect.

Growing Company with a lot of Opportunities

Current Employee - Account Management
    Current Employee - Account Management

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CourseTrends is a growing Austin based company providing Internet Marketing Solutions for Golf Courses in North America. Flexible work schedule in a fast paced environment . There are opportunities for promotions and raises yearly. If you put in the hard work you will be rewarded for your performance. I have almost doubled my salary this year. They pay for half of your monthly premium for Health Care after 60 days. They offer a yearly one week paid trip to foreign countries to help out non profit groups making a difference in the World and are involved in Local Austin charities too. 50 Employees - you get to know everyone you work with.

Cons

Would like the ability to contribute to a 401 k plan

Solid place to grow and learn

Current Employee - Copywriter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Austin, TX

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual and comfortable work environment feels relaxed and friendly.

There's no politics involved here. Everything depends on how hard you're willing to work, and the opportunities to advance are ample.

Very results-oriented business. What management wants from you is made clear on day one. You have all the room and resources you need to do your thing, work hard, learn new skills and push yourself to contribute. They will reward you for doing so.

Company also provides several opportunities each year to take a week off with pay and volunteer with international aid organizations in Latin America. (Incredible opportunity).

Cons

Mopac traffic can be absolutely brutal around where this office is located, particularly in the afternoons.

Blessing to Myself and My Family

Current Employee - Activation Manager
    Current Employee - Activation Manager

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have found there to be so many pros to working for their company. This is a growing company and there are a few reasons why. First, I believe in our product offering. My job affords me the ability to speak with our customers every day. Our products and services our customers receive have are wide-ranging and are of the utmost quality. Second, service is a major tenant of this organization. The service we provide to our customers I believe is second to none. The company puts forth the extra effort to make sure our customers are successful and strive to put the customers as the number 1 priority. I believe that is one of the main reasons we continue to grow. The company also does a tremendous job of serving the community here in Austin. There is a steady flow of service opportunities that employees can participate in during work hours. The company also offers yearly one-week paid service trips overseas where employees go help non-profits in foreign countries and serve the local community.

On a personal note, the company has truly treated me like family and has been a blessing to my family. In the last couple months, I have had a medical emergency, rushed surgery and will be very soon welcoming a baby into my family. The company has been extremely flexible and generous with my time, allowing me to take the time off needed to recover and heal, work from home if necessary and have encouraged me to take time off when the baby arrives so I can spend time taking care of my wife and our daughter. Honestly, the way they have treated me is priceless and I would recommend this company to anyone.

I have already referred a former co-worker here who has since been hired and would do so again if the opportunity arose.

Cons

I hope in the future there is an option to do some type of 401k

Honestly, I cannot say enough about my supervisor, Alan and the management team. They have welcomed me with open arms and treated me like family. I couldn't ask for more than that.

Great People! Great work atmosphere!

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees at Course Trends are Wonderful! This is the type of work place that quickly becomes a "Second Family environment". It's truly a wonderful working atmosphere.
    Course Trends is a rapidly expanding company that offers good opportunities for those that seek additional responsibilities and look to succeed.
    Course Trends rewards quite well with large and frequent salary raises for those that truly give of themselves in their position.

Course Trends is a very charitable company that is involved with several Christian Missionary Organizations such as Honduras Good Works, Austin Samaritans, Makarios among others. The company offers the opportunity for each employee to take a One Week - all expense paid mission trip to Honduras, Nicaragua and The Dominican Republic to help out in different service projects that these Organizations have going on in these countries. It is a great opportunity to help out those less fortunate in these countries and it seems to help those that get involved to have a different perspective on our own lives. It shows to be a very rewarding experience for all that go and get involved.

Other benefits Course Trends offer are twelve PTO days a year on top of the normal paid holidays and of course the one week paid time off to participate in the International Service projects.

Medical benefits are provided and paid for by Course Trends for the employee.

Cons

No 401 or Retirement plan offered

Long term, continuous success at growing, innovative, stable company

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Successful work environment, team works hard to achieve results, pay for performance culture

Cons

You won't fit in here if you do not like to be accountable to the results of your work

Keep on truckin'

Quickly growing company with a constantly evolving and interesting environment

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (less than an year)

Pros

CourseTrends is a very quickly growing company, and consequently, an employee will frequently end up performing a broad spectrum of jobs. Having recently come from a slower paced big corporate world, I find the challenge and variety of work interesting and engaging, and look forward to coming to work every day. There is a constant sense of opportunity and potential here, and hard work will lead to greater responsibility and authority as the company surges to its next level. An exciting place to work.

Cons

That same fast-paced environment and rapid growth can sometimes cause a very high pressure environment. As an employee, a lot is riding on you, and the criticism and pressure to improve can weigh on you. However, I've found that this pressure to improve always has the underpinning that you *can* and probably will improve, and that management will help you get there.

Benefits and PTO are on the low side of the field. But - I am not rating this lower on the "compensation & benefits" section because the overall company philosophy appears to be to make up for benefits with increased compensation, effectively "monetizing" what would have been personal time off or more subsidized health insurance at another firm.

Great Place to Work and Establish a Career

Current Employee - Account Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very helpful in wanting employees to grow and learn from the time spent with the company. Its a great work environment and there is great camaraderie between all of the employees. The CEO wants everyone to succeed and even offers opportunities to travel to third world countries once a year to help the under privileged.

Cons

Dealing with customers and false accusations can get somewhat tiresome, but CourseTrends always comes up with the best solutions and will always do what they can to make customers happy.

Sometimes it seems as though the training can be put on the back burner for new employees but they are always flexible depending on the person and how much time they need to get comfortable.

Great place to work

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've read all the other reviews and I'll be transparent in saying that I've seen some of those negative things, but I've seen them in every career field. This place is fun, very relaxed environment and they're willing to do whatever it takes to help someone keep their job. I've seen multiple people screw up big time or not perform to expectations and they would work with them to help them keep their job.

Cons

My previous career I had 12 days vacation each year and 5 sick days. There are no sick days here so that kind of stinks and you don't get your vacation up front, you accumulate each month.
    And I would also love to see a 401k option or retirement plan etc. As much as I love this place I don't think it's a place I could retire from.

Honestly I'm a huge fan of my immediate supervisor as well as our CEO. They are both very supportive to me both personally and professionally and the times when they come down on us it's for a reason.

If you appreciate competence, you'll find a great home here

I have been working at CourseTrends full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management style at CourseTrends is definitely "No-Nonsense". The communication is straightforward, direct and honest. Sometimes you don't hear what you want to, but being handled with mittens is not what helps you grow as a professional.

The entire company is a meritocracy and is extremely rewarding if you apply yourself. Micro management is almost non-existent -- you are expected to solve your own problems. This results in an amazing level of empowerment where you can define your own success.

The end result is that the people who stick around here are highly competent and motivated individuals. If that describes you, you'd love the work environment.

Cons

The company is growing fast and that sometimes leads to operational hiccups.

People who can't handle constructive criticism end up getting their feeling hurt when presented with honest feedback.

CourseTrends Photos