Covad Communications Group
www.covad.com Pleasanton, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Covad Communications Group Reviews

Covad Communications Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer MegaPath D. Craig Young

D. Craig Young

Covad HTMT now HGS @006-07

Bangalore (India)

ProsLovely management.. Care for their employees. back then

Consdont really remember anything particular.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Job

ProsFlexible, good when the work is there

ConsGrowth, it can be stagnant with the economy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep selling!

Covad review

Denver, CO

ProsGood benefits compared to other companies, flexible shifts, good work environment

Conschanging priorities often cause inefficiencies

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate open communication with employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Covad- a company in transition, lots of good on the horizon

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGenerally Covad is a pretty great place to work. There's definitely a no-jerks policy, and if you ever start acting like one yourself, you'll be immediately reprimanded. Wonderful benefits, and the corporate HR people and processes work well. The takeover by Platinum has brought about some changes, nothing too dramatic. I definitely think the new management team is heading the company in the right direction, and I am looking forward to the MPLS rollout next year. The top technical people at Covad are cool, never condescending and always willing to help you out. Management is generally pretty down-to-earth, and the supervisors are all well-liked. If you like a challenge and meeting a quota of taking calls and working tickets, this is the job for you.

ConsAh, the biggest problem is the incessant micromanagement that gets pawned off on the supervisors by some of the management. Time management down to the minute is incredibly annoying. I realize we work in a quasi-call center environment, but we're all pretty smart people, which is why we work @ Covad, not Comcast. The location in Lowry is kind of a pain in the neck to get to. The Denver center also desperately needs new PC's.

Advice to Senior ManagementPat and Co- keep it up! We're all behind you 100%. We all want to see this thing succeed, and with the Platinum money and the management team I think we'll kick some butt. We're moving in the right direction, and you guys keep us energized to come in and do our best.

Great group of individuals.

NOC Technician (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat people to work with, and easy to make friends in that environment. Your technical skills are challenged daily, giving you new opportunities to grow and learn. Most everyone was very fun to be around and pleasant to hang out with outside of work. Senior management (VP's, ect.) were very supportive of the teams and enjoyed getting to know everyone.

ConsNot much room for growth. Maybe salary increases here and there, but headquarters is in California so working from Denver may seem as sort of a dead-end unless you are willing to move out of state.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the managers in the Denver office is a bit of a "hot-head" and doesn't treat contractors very well. It might do you well in regards to retention and contractor-to-employee conversion rates to keep a closer eye on manger/employee interactions.

good vacation, Medical insurance, nice employee

Accountant (Former Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsThis company had a very good pay, vacation, Medical insurance and hard working and nice employee

Constoo much work and very stressful. due to laid off, keep adding jobs

Advice to Senior Managementto one of the very bad director -be nice to your employee

Hit and miss working experience.

San Jose, CA

ProsGood open door policy. Had a very supportive manager. Worked with several competent people across the different functions. Was given increasing job responsibilities and "promotions" during employment.

ConsDisjointed Infrastructure means it often takes longer than it should to get something done. Was always surprised that something as simple as a standard process either had either not been created or not communicated to the company at large. Would always have to hunt around for the correct procedure. Would sometimes get very political. Felt direct senior management was disrespectful of time and efforts.

It is not the same company anymore.

Marketing Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThe pay package was competitive to what other silicon valley tech companies were paying.
    Easy to get to and lots of parking spaces.

ConsWhen I was working there, it was a series of layoffs and dismissals. It would be surprising if you could go a quarter without someone you kew getting let go. What was going on whas always kept away from the employees, and the leadership was questionable (it has changed since)

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency would be a start, although it would scare away a portion of employees, if handled correctly and having policies in place to reward those who assisted in keeping the company afloat and growing the business should be visibly rewarded.

Outsource Everything

San Jose, CA

ProsOverall Covad has competitive compensation package. Tuition reimbursement, medical, dental, vision 401k.

ConsLeadership is incompetent. The company used to be 5000 employees and is now under 500. They outsource everything. A bad quarter typically is followed by layoffs. Wash rinse and repeat...

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a clear vision for the company.

Could be worse

San Jose, CA

ProsPerhaps things will improve after the MegaPath merger. There is a tuition assistance program, but only for undergraduate degrees and almost all jobs require a bachelors. There is a 401k plan but it is funded by the employees through high fund fees. Medical coverage is decent but I never really used it (fortunately).
    The private equity firm owner has deep pockets.

ConsNo focus on employee development, coercive and chaotic work environment. Unrealistic expectations from management based on scarce data and little employee input.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, let's see what happens.

Worked for Covad Communications Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Covad Communications Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Covad Communications Group CEO D. Craig Young. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Covad Communications Group employees.