Covad Communications Group

www.covad.com
  www.covad.com

Covad Communications Group Reviews

2.7

Covad Communications Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer MegaPath D. Craig Young
D. Craig Young
1 Rating

Covad HTMT now HGS @006-07

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Covad Communications Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lovely management.. Care for their employees. back then

Cons

dont really remember anything particular.

keep up the good work

Job

I have been working at Covad Communications Group

Pros

Flexible, good when the work is there

Cons

Growth, it can be stagnant with the economy

Keep selling!

Covad review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Covad Communications Group

Pros

Good benefits compared to other companies, flexible shifts, good work environment

Cons

changing priorities often cause inefficiencies

Appreciate open communication with employees

Covad- a company in transition, lots of good on the horizon

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Covad Communications Group

Pros

Generally Covad is a pretty great place to work. There's definitely a no-jerks policy, and if you ever start acting like one yourself, you'll be immediately reprimanded. Wonderful benefits, and the corporate HR people and processes work well. The takeover by Platinum has brought about some changes, nothing too dramatic. I definitely think the new management team is heading the company in the right direction, and I am looking forward to the MPLS rollout next year. The top technical people at Covad are cool, never condescending and always willing to help you out. Management is generally pretty down-to-earth, and the supervisors are all well-liked. If you like a challenge and meeting a quota of taking calls and working tickets, this is the job for you.

Cons

Ah, the biggest problem is the incessant micromanagement that gets pawned off on the supervisors by some of the management. Time management down to the minute is incredibly annoying. I realize we work in a quasi-call center environment, but we're all pretty smart people, which is why we work @ Covad, not Comcast. The location in Lowry is kind of a pain in the neck to get to. The Denver center also desperately needs new PC's.

Pat and Co- keep it up! We're all behind you 100%. We all want to see this thing succeed, and with the Platinum money and the management team I think we'll kick some butt. We're moving in the right direction, and you guys keep us energized to come in and do our best.

Great group of individuals.

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Covad Communications Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, and easy to make friends in that environment. Your technical skills are challenged daily, giving you new opportunities to grow and learn. Most everyone was very fun to be around and pleasant to hang out with outside of work. Senior management (VP's, ect.) were very supportive of the teams and enjoyed getting to know everyone.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Maybe salary increases here and there, but headquarters is in California so working from Denver may seem as sort of a dead-end unless you are willing to move out of state.

One of the managers in the Denver office is a bit of a "hot-head" and doesn't treat contractors very well. It might do you well in regards to retention and contractor-to-employee conversion rates to keep a closer eye on manger/employee interactions.

good vacation, Medical insurance, nice employee

Former Employee - Accountant in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Covad Communications Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company had a very good pay, vacation, Medical insurance and hard working and nice employee

Cons

too much work and very stressful. due to laid off, keep adding jobs

to one of the very bad director -be nice to your employee

Hit and miss working experience.

I worked at Covad Communications Group

Pros

Good open door policy. Had a very supportive manager. Worked with several competent people across the different functions. Was given increasing job responsibilities and "promotions" during employment.

Cons

Disjointed Infrastructure means it often takes longer than it should to get something done. Was always surprised that something as simple as a standard process either had either not been created or not communicated to the company at large. Would always have to hunt around for the correct procedure. Would sometimes get very political. Felt direct senior management was disrespectful of time and efforts.

It is not the same company anymore.

Former Employee - Marketing Intelligence Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intelligence Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at Covad Communications Group

Pros

The pay package was competitive to what other silicon valley tech companies were paying.
    Easy to get to and lots of parking spaces.

Cons

When I was working there, it was a series of layoffs and dismissals. It would be surprising if you could go a quarter without someone you kew getting let go. What was going on whas always kept away from the employees, and the leadership was questionable (it has changed since)

Transparency would be a start, although it would scare away a portion of employees, if handled correctly and having policies in place to reward those who assisted in keeping the company afloat and growing the business should be visibly rewarded.

Outsource Everything

I worked at Covad Communications Group

Pros

Overall Covad has competitive compensation package. Tuition reimbursement, medical, dental, vision 401k.

Cons

Leadership is incompetent. The company used to be 5000 employees and is now under 500. They outsource everything. A bad quarter typically is followed by layoffs. Wash rinse and repeat...

Establish a clear vision for the company.

Could be worse

I worked at Covad Communications Group

Pros

Perhaps things will improve after the MegaPath merger. There is a tuition assistance program, but only for undergraduate degrees and almost all jobs require a bachelors. There is a 401k plan but it is funded by the employees through high fund fees. Medical coverage is decent but I never really used it (fortunately).
    The private equity firm owner has deep pockets.

Cons

No focus on employee development, coercive and chaotic work environment. Unrealistic expectations from management based on scarce data and little employee input.

Keep it up, let's see what happens.

Covad Communications Group Photos