Covance Reviews in Harrogate, England

Updated June 3, 2014

2.7

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring
Joe Herring

Pros
  • there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• It was a good company with good benefits and treated all employees fairly until Sr (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation and work-life balance is undesirable (in 16 reviews)

• Too many changes - company is constantly changing senior management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Covance - too much talk and not enough substance

Current Employee - Study Director  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Study Director in Harrogate, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Can be a fairly dynamic work place. Opportunities do exist to move upwardly within the organisation if you are willing to tow the company line.

Cons

Poor systems, unwillingness to change, static thinking, lack of togetherness. Attracts some good staff but doesnt retain them. Most managers appear to be people who have stayed at the company for years and have created there own little kingdoms. This tends to result in a lack of cooperation and an insular approach to the other departments. More emphasis needs to be put on performing quality work and producing a quality product. This may impact on throughput and cost but the client retention is likely to improve.

Try to have a thorough update of in house reporting systems and listen to staff about the problems with these systems. 6 sigma is too slow to remedy many of the immediate faults.

HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NO PROS! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

I had absolutely horrifying experience working for Covance! I wish I would have read reviews before accepting position at Covance! The traumatasing experience left me depressed! There was no training, back stabbing at all levels, not just management! Management are purely stupid, mostly uneducated and been put in their positions by same stupid unedicated higher management, who only cares about their own interests! Management have no idea what is going on in the company, they don't care about the company, have very unrealistic expectations of employees! Employees expected to work a lot of extra hours with no extra pay. There is bullying, harassment and discrimination at all levels! Management makes everyone feel missarble, encouraging reporting on other employees, therefore there is a huge mistrust between employees.There are whole disfuctional families are working at Harrogate site, including husbands, wifes, sisters etc... This people have been working in Harrogate site in excess of 30 years... They have no idea what is going on outside of Covance walls! They have been put in management positions purely for their time with the company and because they are useless outside of Covance! They are bullies and racists! I can't fully explain and put down in writing my horrifying experience! I do hope Covance will go out of business very soon! This company shouldn't exist, as it must be one of the worst employers in the world!

I know that management don't listen and don't care, so it doesn't matter what we write here. They dont even bother to write comments to all negative reviews. They simply don't care! For something to change, there have to be complete change in management , who will be open to critisism and advise from employees, but I know this will never happen!

Great industry experience, but not very enjoyable. Such a shame.

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Scientist in Harrogate, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The salary isn't too bad.
    - Paid overtime.
    - Some of the people who work there are great.
    - A reasonably good system in place for progression.
    - Quite a large emphasis on training.

Cons

- Employee turnover is quite high.
    - The decent people often end up leaving.
    - Too afraid to get rid of incompetent employees.
    - Not afraid to make people redundant when there is a drop in work.
    - Money is by far the company's highest priority - the employees get forgotten.
    - The senior management make poor decisions, often at the expense of the employees.
    - Lack of recognition or reward for hard work.
    - Will take on far too much work to make a bit more money.
    - I regularly work over 50 hours a week.
    - A lot of the staff are rude and unfriendly.
    - Some of the equipment is outdated and barely works.

Remember that a companies most valuable asset is it's employees - don't take advantage of them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wish I hadn't taken the job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pension, pay was better than last position

Cons

Constant cuts, stressful, threats of job loss always around, poor infrastructure

Focus on hiring more support staff

Worked for Covance? Contribute to the Community!