Covance

Add Photos

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring

Joe Herring

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company. a few managers can be out of touch.

Lab Assistant III (Current Employee)
    Greenfield, IN

Pros-Decent Benefits
    - I was able to move up in my area and move on to a better position in a different area, however I had to work very hard at it.
    - I was able to receive several promotions in the 3 years I worked there.
    The Greenfield site, from what I have heard, compares very favorably to the Indianapolis site. there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance. My suspicion is that this is leftover from the "Lilly days" of greenfield. My fear is that as the ex-Lilly employees leave or are replaced, the experience and the work environment may be lost.

Cons- some of the managers can be very bully-ish. if you do not completely fall into rank and file, you can become a target.

Bioanalytical Gone Wrong

Analytical Chemist (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThey are willing to take on newly graduated college individuals.

ConsCompensation and work-life balance is undesirable. Leadership is changed out continually. Turnaround is horrible.

Plenty of opportunities

Chemist (Current Employee)
    Greenfield, IN

ProsDecent benefits with a lot of opportunities for advancement if you put in the extra work and have the drive.

ConsSalary not as competitive as big pharma/ag.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company With Not So Good Management

Indianapolis, IN

ProsThere is plenty of room for growth. Very Diverse. People are very friendly. Company has a very good work from home policy. Company has good core values but are they practiced?

ConsUpper management could be so much better. It is like the blind leading the blind at times. In the department I work in there aren't any processes or procedures. This is a company of nepotism. Pay is not good but employees that have been there for a number of years thinks the pay is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to hire sound experienced managers. Turnover rate is too high. They are listed with the Dept. of Workforce Development as one of states top employers. It is not because of growth it is due to the high turnover rate.

Pays the Bills

Nub (Current Employee)
    Greenfield, IN

ProsPays the bills. Not much else

ConsThe way the company is run on a shoestring with a skeleton crew.

Decent company poor management

Operating Engineer (Former Employee)
    Greenfield, IN

ProsDecent pay for someone to start out. Easy place to gain some working experience.

ConsNo career growth. Started as a career and turned into just a job. The local management doesn't listen to anyone that does not have a title behind their name. Could be a great place to work if they would be willing to adapt to new methods of conducting business and valuing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the eployees with experience in their positions.

Too many projects, not enough control

Global Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsCoworkers there were great for the most part, kind of a shared misery. The Corning store was also a pro, but it was shut down.

ConsEntirely too many projects with too much unsupported accountability. Virtually impossible to complete all the work necessary unless you were willing to work 80+ hours per week. Even then, it was not physically possible to manage all the scope of work required.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit that your LIS is a total albatross and that it needs to be replaced.

Glad to have moved on

Information Technology (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsWorked with a few solid co-workers

ConsLittle/Strained communication, Pointless or inefficient process to get things done (If even possible), average employee morale is low, turn over rate, massive nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementI saw more than once brand new employees/contractors walk straight out the door, the same day or first week they started; insane since the background check takes so long to complete. There is little guidance or care for employees here, this needs to change.

Don't stay too long if you want a competitive salary.

Indianapolis, IN

ProsCovancd has decent Health care benefits

ConsCovance is like many other corporate entities. The nepotism is very prevalent.
    The people that are promoted seem to have no true knowledge of anything, nor do many of them have a college education. All the process improvements over the years have only made everyone's jobs more difficult to accomplish. It seems the only answer to lifting moral is to play childish games. I consider myself a professional adult (in my 40's) and enjoy going to work to actually accomplish some great things for society. We as non-mgmt. employees are continually forced to waist a considerable amount of time doing senseless things. Sad.
    I look forward to getting an offer from another company that has real purpose and takes their work seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop hiring all your relatives and promote the people that have worked so hard for the company over the years. Please appreciate and promote the loyal, ethical and honest people as they will make Covance a much greater company to work for.
    Please let the people who want to be productive....work! Some people are naturally non-sociable but are still great employees and people. Don't hold their personality hostage!

Its ok

Program Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsBusiness environment, PTO, paid vacations

ConsOffice Politcs were too much to handle

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the employees!

Worked for Covance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Covance reviews and ratings in Indianapolis, IN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Covance CEO Joe Herring. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Covance employees.