Covance

Be The First To
Add Photos

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring

Joe Herring

Pros
  • there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• It was a good company with good benefits and treated all employees fairly until Sr(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation and work-life balance is undesirable(in 15 reviews)

• Too many changes - company is constantly changing senior management(in 11 reviews)

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good

Internship (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsPeople are really hard working. The work culture is awesome, it always encourages you to bring out as many ideas as possible.

ConsScheduling is very bad. People need to be assigned appropriately for their jobs. And there is a lot of communication gap between various departments which needs to be fixed.

Good for new grads

Study Technician (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsPay and benefits are good, with regular raises, sometimes even bonuses based on department performance. Can earn raises when you get certified via AALAS at different levels, which they will reimburse you for. If you're a recent college grad, you'll be working mostly with people your age. You'll learn to work hard. Looks good on a resume if you survive a few years. Solid training program, then you have a "mentor" your first few months who is more experienced to help look out for you and show you the real life ways of the job.

ConsScheduling is a nightmare. Long days (up to 16 hours) and weeks (up to 14 days in a row), weekend and holiday hours. Also have mandatory overtime, as there is a general problem with understaffing. Breaks are usually nonexistent. They set a "metric" to acccomplish x number of things in x amount of time, and then they'll underschedule you for it. Anything you aren't scheduled time for, you do on overtime. They will work you as much as they can and it burns the good people out. Horrible work-life balance.
    Promotions and praise based more on sucking up to management than the work you are doing - have to play the game and say and do what they want you to do. If you have strong opinions or ideas on something, you might be pushed towards keeping them to yourself, even if they would be a benefit.
    Can be clique-y, remember, all college grads stuffed together...
    Training not based on the individual but instead on monthly/yearly milestones. If you want extra training becasue you're doing well with what you have and it would benefit your team, you'll still probably need to beg for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overscheduling and taking on more clients and studies than you have staff to manage. It burns out and drives away all of your good workers.

Good benefits, poor leadership

Security Guard (Former Employee) Madison, WI

Pros4 weeks of vacation as a new employee, tuition reimbursement, 401k matching

ConsI worked in security and the manager was extremely unprofessional and didn't care about his employees. I was forced to quit because I wanted to go back to college and the manager wasn't willing to work with me in accommodating a slight change in my schedule. Horrible, horrible management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great PTO, which you're going to want to use...

Early Development Chemist (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsLots of PTO (21 days to start) and good insurance coverage, Madison is a nice city, somewhat easy to move to new jobs internally

ConsLeadership tends to have a pretty solid disconnect from the laboratory techs' everyday jobs, the upward movement of employees seems to be very limited (lateral moves abound)

0 Stars Should Be An Option

Toxicology Supervisor (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsCompetitive salary if you don't mind giving up your life.

ConsShort-sighted; profit-driven; revolving door; horrible management; favoritism. When I started there, I thought I would stay until retirement. They brought in new management in the mid-2000's. They were profit-driven, widget-minded, short-sighted scalpers. They focus only on the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to replace all of them with people who value people over profits. That is the recipe for long-term success.

Absolutely excellent.

Report Coordinator (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsPaid time off, health benefits, quality of employees hired, and general atmosphere are unparalleled. A three hour interview process for all employees was helpful in creating a great team atmosphere.

ConsNo cons working at Covance. If you're working at any of the midwest sites it may be a bit cold, but they keep the heat on. Plus you can snowboard.

Toxicologist

Toxicologist (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe people I work with are great, hard working, and provide a real team oriented environment. The type of work is personally satisfying, ultimately helping people. There is a lot of flexibility in the job for certain positions. There are a lot of opportunities for career advancement and changes in positions within the company

ConsCovance has had some hard times, and we lost some good people. When the company is really busy, people are overworked. The benefits are really good despite the fact that they have been reduced over the past couple of years. The benefits are still better than most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire sufficient staff so that when we are busy people don't get burned out

Full of great learning opportunities

Research Technician II (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThey offered Great Benefits
    The hours were flexible depending on need
    There was great camaraderie amongst the employees

ConsLittle chance for promotion
    Little incentive for employees

It's all politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful city, fun coworkers (for the most part), opportunity to explore a variety of jobs within drug development (sales, project management, lab work)

ConsManagement, employee recognition, senior leadership doesn't understand what is happening in each department

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Don't look at numbers/budgets and make decisions, actually talk to the department directors before deciding on actions. The best part of my job was the people who I worked with, not the people that I worked for.

Good company with great benefits

Associate Project Manager (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsBenefits, accessibility to connect with colleagues around the world

ConsGlobal company means it is too large to focus on each employee. Career opportunities, especially for advancement is possible but often comes down to who you know that will lead to promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the focus on employees. Treat all employees fairly.

Worked for Covance? Contribute to the Community!