Covance

Be The First To
Add Photos

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring

Joe Herring

Pros
  • there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• It was a good company with good benefits and treated all employees fairly until Sr(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation and work-life balance is undesirable(in 15 reviews)

• Too many changes - company is constantly changing senior management(in 11 reviews)

Has lost focus on people

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, good location, flexibility and opportunities for advancement

ConsToo much workload, focus on process over people. Expectations are too high and burnout levels are increasing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you are working with people who have lives and not someone always willing to run themselves to the ground.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Small and great site IMO

ProsFriendly staff. Everyone gets along very well. There is opportunity to train and learn in different areas of the business besides your own department. The Director is very nice and down to earth.

ConsThere is lots of downtime which sometimes is great when you need a breather but not so great when you want to keep busy. Technology used in some areas of the workplace is ancient and sometimes can be a long and painful process to get updated.

very unorganized training

Customer Service (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosthey have a friendly staff

Consit is nice work environment/building

Advice to Senior Managementneed to have better preparation for training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do as I say, not as I do.

ProsGood time off policy, flexible work from home schedule. Good place to cut your teeth in research, learn many aspects of research quickly in a hands on type of way.

ConsNot all employees treated equally. Policies are spoken, then contradict the written policy. Frustrating to see same mistakes made over and over again as "this is how its always been done" but no attempts to find a better way to resolve or prevent the issues on multiple projects.

Lack of training leads to major issues down the road, no action taken to resolve the issue.

This company is a great stepping stone and a good place to gain experience.

CRA Assistant (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsFlexible hours
    Line managers that really care about the advance of your career
    Great learning experiences

ConsEveryone is not paid at market value
    A lot of self learning and learning from your own mistakes

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employee salary. Such a great company to work for but salary does not coincide with the cost of living, especially in a one income household.

Good

Internship (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsPeople are really hard working. The work culture is awesome, it always encourages you to bring out as many ideas as possible.

ConsScheduling is very bad. People need to be assigned appropriately for their jobs. And there is a lot of communication gap between various departments which needs to be fixed.

Most unprofessional place I've ever been

Subject (Former Employee) Daytona Beach, FL

ProsPays well if you are a contractor.
    Food is good.
    A few members of the staff do a very good job.

ConsDaytona location: Most of the staff is very unprofessional. They don't treat you like a human being and impose draconian policy that they make up as they go along. It is almost as if it is a sadistic game they are playing in order to fuel their egos. This behaviour is unacceptable for a company that stands between bad drugs and the general public. If a company has employees who treat the subject as unprofessionally as they do here, showing arbitrary favoritism and disdain. I tried as hard as I could to avoid drawing attention to myself and just taking whatever psychological abuse dumped on me, but eventually they perma banned me. More so they did so when I needed the money the most and they knew it. I would not wish this on anybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to fire around 90% of the employees at the Daytona location. They act like a gang and it becomes impossible for any individual to get a fair shake when ANY issue arises.

Good for new grads

Study Technician (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsPay and benefits are good, with regular raises, sometimes even bonuses based on department performance. Can earn raises when you get certified via AALAS at different levels, which they will reimburse you for. If you're a recent college grad, you'll be working mostly with people your age. You'll learn to work hard. Looks good on a resume if you survive a few years. Solid training program, then you have a "mentor" your first few months who is more experienced to help look out for you and show you the real life ways of the job.

ConsScheduling is a nightmare. Long days (up to 16 hours) and weeks (up to 14 days in a row), weekend and holiday hours. Also have mandatory overtime, as there is a general problem with understaffing. Breaks are usually nonexistent. They set a "metric" to acccomplish x number of things in x amount of time, and then they'll underschedule you for it. Anything you aren't scheduled time for, you do on overtime. They will work you as much as they can and it burns the good people out. Horrible work-life balance.
    Promotions and praise based more on sucking up to management than the work you are doing - have to play the game and say and do what they want you to do. If you have strong opinions or ideas on something, you might be pushed towards keeping them to yourself, even if they would be a benefit.
    Can be clique-y, remember, all college grads stuffed together...
    Training not based on the individual but instead on monthly/yearly milestones. If you want extra training becasue you're doing well with what you have and it would benefit your team, you'll still probably need to beg for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overscheduling and taking on more clients and studies than you have staff to manage. It burns out and drives away all of your good workers.

Fast paced, often chaotic

ProsNice people, adequate compensation, day goes by quickly

ConsWorkspaces very small and noisy, impacts productivity

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees- some office supplies and an adequate workspace would go a long way

Awful company and people.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNothing good to say at all.

ConsIt was a nightmare working here and the worst experience I have ever encountered in my professional career. I felt like I was back in high school with all the catty females. Awful company I hope it goes under

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your isht together!

Worked for Covance? Contribute to the Community!