Covance

Updated January 24, 2015
2.8

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring
Joe Herring

Pros
  • there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Covance has good benefits but pays less then most companies (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance in the toxicology department is a very unbalanced (in 23 reviews)

• There is rampant lack of communication (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid, growing company

I have been working at Covance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, values talent, promotes personal development, strives for excellence in delivering value for our customers. The project work is challenging and adds value to the organization. The employees who have been around for years are unique in that they are extremely knowledgeable and also welcome new ideas.

Cons

Decentralized internal support processes increases the complexity of delivering consistent support to the global business units. That variance becomes the opportunity to deliver highly valuable process improvements.

Keep an eye on your primary resource - your people. Continue to take care of your people and they will take care of you.

It was my first entry level office attending college Associates in Business my position Admin. Services Specialist

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company values talent, I had a work life balance with many opportunities to grow

Cons

As an Administrative Services Specialist member we had a very committed culture, taking advantage of the variety of trainings and... with many opportunities for promotions, personal growth, I had the experience with the approval of my former manager William Powell, to participate, volunteer in a charitable event funded by Covance. I had the life changing of volunteering as a Translator in Spanish and to coordinate the application process for the uninsured in New Orleans, LA

The support received from management, from my director William Powell gave me the opportunity for growth. I was able to learn and manage daily Administrative task, heavy phone calls, billing, Accounts payable. I had a very big interaction with the Finance team... Made sure that our third party vendor payment would be send on time. Certified FSA purchaser, Certified ePro desktop receiver. And had approval to use our business unit check book, with the approval of Director William Powell to make payments.

Amazing Company

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Great management, compensation, flexibility, benefits

Cons

Work/life balance, Heavy workload, scheduling

work-life balance

Opportunities, commitment, and quality

Current Employee - Senior CRA
    Current Employee - Senior CRA

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to try new things - the culture is to look internally for quality staff before hiring new staff into positions, they are often willing to invest training in a high performing employee
    Intelligent, well-educated, professional co-workers
    Leadership in Early Clinical Development is committed to training, quality, and staff. Initiatives in new training methodology, new programs and foundations, employee engagement and retention are constantly ongoing
    Work/life balance is always a struggle with the varied demands of the industry but the commitment of managers to assisting with the balance for all employees is strong
    Educational re-reimbursement
    PTO goes up to 6 weeks with tenure

Cons

It would be nice to see on-site daycare on the campuses
    With few exceptions (state/country requirements) accrued PTO does not roll over past Q1 of the next year (use it or lose it)

Rewarding and satisfying, I have worked at many CROs and Product Based companies and Covance is the best!

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management engagement is high, very positive culture, I find everyone at Covance to be very professional and supportive. There is no finger pointing, only a great attitude and drive to solve challenging issues. Covance cares about their employees. Benefits are great and 6 weeks of vaction time is nice.

Cons

none, I really love my job!

Keep on caring about your employees like you do and you will be the best company to work for.

Great environment - fast growing and lots of opportunity for development and advancement

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Managers who really care about employees. Focus on developing people and taking a keen interest in career paths. The culture is very welcoming, and employees go out of their way to make new comers feel welcomed and integrated into the team.

Cons

It's a high performance culture.

Great Company - Great Mission

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career Growth. Personal Growth & Advancement - Their is plenty of room for growth if you network and perform

Cons

Benefits and compensation are good, but could be better. Interview process can be improved upon

Upper management should lead by example on diversifying their senior leadership.

A lot of career development in Ph II-IV

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Middle management cares about employees and offers a lot of career development opportunities. Flexibility with working from home. Really talented colleagues to learn from.

Cons

Striking work life balance can be hard, especially when you are really committed to your team. Salaries are lower than other CROs. 401k match was reduced to 4.5%.

We appreciate your focus on community service. There needs to be a re-evaluation of benefits (salary, bonus, stock, 401k match, PTO, etc). Thank you for making solid business decisions that help us continue to grow.

Not great

I have been working at Covance

Pros

The people are great and it's very laid back.

Cons

Low salary. We're working hard to avoid getting laid off, but the company is making lots of money!

Cross functional training, more pay!

Great place

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Great place, happy to work for company

Cons

Don't have anything negative to say