Covance Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated August 17, 2014
2.7

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring
Joe Herring

Pros
  • there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• It was a good company with good benefits and treated all employees fairly until Sr (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation and work-life balance is undesirable (in 16 reviews)

• Too many changes - company is constantly changing senior management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If they can get way with paying you less, they will.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, very interesting work, the company culture is very focused on quality (quite rightly), everybody knows their role. Constantly striving to improve. I loved my job at Covance. Most of the people are nice, but there are some toxic colleagues, who should be avoided.

Cons

Less room to try something new, a real lack of career progression. Seriously under-trained line managers often with poor interpersonal skills and issues of their own, creating an an evironment of favouritism and crass decision-making. Some colleagues do not seem to have a handle on quality, but they are carried by their colleagues who are. The promotion criteria seem arbitrary to most people, including those promoted!

Consider giving your staff who turn out high-quality work - consistently - a better salary, rather than giving others a raise just because they did something 'more' than their job. If they weren't doing their original job to high quality standards, why are they getting a raise if they are joing more, but badly?

Looking to leave ASAP - seems to be the consensus

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I actually can't think of any pro's. Well the money is decent

Cons

Micromanagement - doesn't work for me. No work life balance. Individuals are friendly but no sense of team or team spirit. Every person I speak to seems to be looking to leave.

Try treating employees with more respect, I have heard the way people talk to each other and it does not impress me. Line management patronising their line reports in an open plan office. And non issues being escalated unnecessarily.

Good experience

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Colleagues and company values are pros

Cons

Compensation not fantastic for graduate entry

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NO PROS! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

I had absolutely horrifying experience working for Covance! I wish I would have read reviews before accepting position at Covance! The traumatasing experience left me depressed! There was no training, back stabbing at all levels, not just management! Management are purely stupid, mostly uneducated and been put in their positions by same stupid unedicated higher management, who only cares about their own interests! Management have no idea what is going on in the company, they don't care about the company, have very unrealistic expectations of employees! Employees expected to work a lot of extra hours with no extra pay. There is bullying, harassment and discrimination at all levels! Management makes everyone feel missarble, encouraging reporting on other employees, therefore there is a huge mistrust between employees.There are whole disfuctional families are working at Harrogate site, including husbands, wifes, sisters etc... This people have been working in Harrogate site in excess of 30 years... They have no idea what is going on outside of Covance walls! They have been put in management positions purely for their time with the company and because they are useless outside of Covance! They are bullies and racists! I can't fully explain and put down in writing my horrifying experience! I do hope Covance will go out of business very soon! This company shouldn't exist, as it must be one of the worst employers in the world!

I know that management don't listen and don't care, so it doesn't matter what we write here. They dont even bother to write comments to all negative reviews. They simply don't care! For something to change, there have to be complete change in management , who will be open to critisism and advise from employees, but I know this will never happen!

Great industry experience, but not very enjoyable. Such a shame.

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Scientist in Harrogate, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The salary isn't too bad.
    - Paid overtime.
    - Some of the people who work there are great.
    - A reasonably good system in place for progression.
    - Quite a large emphasis on training.

Cons

- Employee turnover is quite high.
    - The decent people often end up leaving.
    - Too afraid to get rid of incompetent employees.
    - Not afraid to make people redundant when there is a drop in work.
    - Money is by far the company's highest priority - the employees get forgotten.
    - The senior management make poor decisions, often at the expense of the employees.
    - Lack of recognition or reward for hard work.
    - Will take on far too much work to make a bit more money.
    - I regularly work over 50 hours a week.
    - A lot of the staff are rude and unfriendly.
    - Some of the equipment is outdated and barely works.

Remember that a companies most valuable asset is it's employees - don't take advantage of them.

Exciting, challenging, never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best in the industry; wide range of services on offer and really good ideas. Has a huge potential to wipe out the opposition.

Cons

Poor career development in some areas unless the face fits. Very US-centric approach in some areas of the business, but has a good global footprint.

Wish I hadn't taken the job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pension, pay was better than last position

Cons

Constant cuts, stressful, threats of job loss always around, poor infrastructure

Focus on hiring more support staff

Nice place to work, Nice people

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Alnwick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Alnwick, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice place to work, nice people

Cons

high turn over of staff

Trample employees to attain maximum profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company offer an excellent salary

Cons

A blame culture exists to compensate for ineffective management systems

Reward your staff with more than money to reduce your high turn over. It will save you money in the long run

Less chatter, more work please!!! Clique. Female management have "Women empowerment" group. A chance to "Network"

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a job. It pays. If you are good at politics and dont want to work very hard it is an excellent place to work. Probably the best.

Cons

Incentives are talked about but never followed through. Females are the first to be promoted. Systematic bullying due to the poor management skills in some departments. Female management will simply team up against any highly skilled worker that may question their decisions and force them to be unhappy and resign. Also you may be forced to work against your own work ethics, i.e. not give full facts to customers,take short cuts to allow drug approval and report to management with personal information on your co-workers.

Look at yourselves. What do you actually do that improves the business. Do you really need to have all day meetings that involve you talking about your family and holidays when you have staff working hard and getting little recognition? Value your staff . Also , why are ALL black employees either working in the kitchen or cleaners? 300 people in the building. All management are female in every department with exception of one (the director). Mix it up a little. If you are going to have "DIVERSITY" as your buzzword for the millenia, then follow by example and bring everyone to the table.

Worked for Covance? Contribute to the Community!