Covance

Be The First To
Add Photos

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring

Joe Herring

Pros
  • there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• It was a good company with good benefits and treated all employees fairly until Sr(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation and work-life balance is undesirable(in 15 reviews)

• Too many changes - company is constantly changing senior management(in 11 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience

ProsColleagues and company values are pros

ConsCompensation not fantastic for graduate entry

Looking to leave ASAP - seems to be the consensus

Project Manager (Current Employee) Maidenhead, England (UK)

ProsI actually can't think of any pro's. Well the money is decent

ConsMicromanagement - doesn't work for me. No work life balance. Individuals are friendly but no sense of team or team spirit. Every person I speak to seems to be looking to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry treating employees with more respect, I have heard the way people talk to each other and it does not impress me. Line management patronising their line reports in an open plan office. And non issues being escalated unnecessarily.

HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Harrogate, England (UK)

ProsNO PROS! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ConsI had absolutely horrifying experience working for Covance! I wish I would have read reviews before accepting position at Covance! The traumatasing experience left me depressed! There was no training, back stabbing at all levels, not just management! Management are purely stupid, mostly uneducated and been put in their positions by same stupid unedicated higher management, who only cares about their own interests! Management have no idea what is going on in the company, they don't care about the company, have very unrealistic expectations of employees! Employees expected to work a lot of extra hours with no extra pay. There is bullying, harassment and discrimination at all levels! Management makes everyone feel missarble, encouraging reporting on other employees, therefore there is a huge mistrust between employees.There are whole disfuctional families are working at Harrogate site, including husbands, wifes, sisters etc... This people have been working in Harrogate site in excess of 30 years... They have no idea what is going on outside of Covance walls! They have been put in management positions purely for their time with the company and because they are useless outside of Covance! They are bullies and racists! I can't fully explain and put down in writing my horrifying experience! I do hope Covance will go out of business very soon! This company shouldn't exist, as it must be one of the worst employers in the world!

Advice to Senior ManagementI know that management don't listen and don't care, so it doesn't matter what we write here. They dont even bother to write comments to all negative reviews. They simply don't care! For something to change, there have to be complete change in management , who will be open to critisism and advise from employees, but I know this will never happen!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great industry experience, but not very enjoyable. Such a shame.

Scientist (Current Employee) Harrogate, England (UK)

Pros- The salary isn't too bad.
    - Paid overtime.
    - Some of the people who work there are great.
    - A reasonably good system in place for progression.
    - Quite a large emphasis on training.

Cons- Employee turnover is quite high.
    - The decent people often end up leaving.
    - Too afraid to get rid of incompetent employees.
    - Not afraid to make people redundant when there is a drop in work.
    - Money is by far the company's highest priority - the employees get forgotten.
    - The senior management make poor decisions, often at the expense of the employees.
    - Lack of recognition or reward for hard work.
    - Will take on far too much work to make a bit more money.
    - I regularly work over 50 hours a week.
    - A lot of the staff are rude and unfriendly.
    - Some of the equipment is outdated and barely works.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that a companies most valuable asset is it's employees - don't take advantage of them.

Exciting, challenging, never a dull moment.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsBest in the industry; wide range of services on offer and really good ideas. Has a huge potential to wipe out the opposition.

ConsPoor career development in some areas unless the face fits. Very US-centric approach in some areas of the business, but has a good global footprint.

Wish I hadn't taken the job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Harrogate, England (UK)

ProsPension, pay was better than last position

ConsConstant cuts, stressful, threats of job loss always around, poor infrastructure

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on hiring more support staff

Nice place to work, Nice people

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Alnwick, England (UK)

ProsNice place to work, nice people

Conshigh turn over of staff

Trample employees to attain maximum profit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThis company offer an excellent salary

ConsA blame culture exists to compensate for ineffective management systems

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your staff with more than money to reduce your high turn over. It will save you money in the long run

Less chatter, more work please!!! Clique. Female management have "Women empowerment" group. A chance to "Network"

ProsIts a job. It pays. If you are good at politics and dont want to work very hard it is an excellent place to work. Probably the best.

ConsIncentives are talked about but never followed through. Females are the first to be promoted. Systematic bullying due to the poor management skills in some departments. Female management will simply team up against any highly skilled worker that may question their decisions and force them to be unhappy and resign. Also you may be forced to work against your own work ethics, i.e. not give full facts to customers,take short cuts to allow drug approval and report to management with personal information on your co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at yourselves. What do you actually do that improves the business. Do you really need to have all day meetings that involve you talking about your family and holidays when you have staff working hard and getting little recognition? Value your staff . Also , why are ALL black employees either working in the kitchen or cleaners? 300 people in the building. All management are female in every department with exception of one (the director). Mix it up a little. If you are going to have "DIVERSITY" as your buzzword for the millenia, then follow by example and bring everyone to the table.

good experience for a first full time job

CRA Assistant (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

Prosgood and secure company. gives training towards progression. The management team is very helpfull and good benefits. The people are friendly and helpful.

ConsSometimes the work routine is tedious. No other negatives from my side as it depends on how satisfied you are with your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management team

Worked for Covance? Contribute to the Community!