Covance

Updated February 19, 2015
2.2

Covance Chairman and CEO Joe Herring
Joe Herring

Pros
  • there is much more camaraderie at the greenfield site and there is a much better work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Covance has good benefits but pays less then most companies (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance in the toxicology department is a very unbalanced (in 23 reviews)

• There is rampant lack of communication (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Worst Place I have ever worked

I have been working at Covance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a science factory

Cons

They dont care about their staff and seem to accept a rotating door policy

Pay your staff better and have more respect for them.

HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NO PROS! DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

I had absolutely horrifying experience working for Covance! I wish I would have read reviews before accepting position at Covance! The traumatasing experience left me depressed! There was no training, back stabbing at all levels, not just management! Management are purely stupid, mostly uneducated and been put in their positions by same stupid unedicated higher management, who only cares about their own interests! Management have no idea what is going on in the company, they don't care about the company, have very unrealistic expectations of employees! Employees expected to work a lot of extra hours with no extra pay. There is bullying, harassment and discrimination at all levels! Management makes everyone feel missarble, encouraging reporting on other employees, therefore there is a huge mistrust between employees.There are whole disfuctional families are working at Harrogate site, including husbands, wifes, sisters etc... This people have been working in Harrogate site in excess of 30 years... They have no idea what is going on outside of Covance walls! They have been put in management positions purely for their time with the company and because they are useless outside of Covance! They are bullies and racists! I can't fully explain and put down in writing my horrifying experience! I do hope Covance will go out of business very soon! This company shouldn't exist, as it must be one of the worst employers in the world!

I know that management don't listen and don't care, so it doesn't matter what we write here. They dont even bother to write comments to all negative reviews. They simply don't care! For something to change, there have to be complete change in management , who will be open to critisism and advise from employees, but I know this will never happen!

Wish I hadn't taken the job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pension, pay was better than last position

Cons

Constant cuts, stressful, threats of job loss always around, poor infrastructure

Focus on hiring more support staff

Less chatter, more work please!!! Clique. Female management have "Women empowerment" group. A chance to "Network"

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a job. It pays. If you are good at politics and dont want to work very hard it is an excellent place to work. Probably the best.

Cons

Incentives are talked about but never followed through. Females are the first to be promoted. Systematic bullying due to the poor management skills in some departments. Female management will simply team up against any highly skilled worker that may question their decisions and force them to be unhappy and resign. Also you may be forced to work against your own work ethics, i.e. not give full facts to customers,take short cuts to allow drug approval and report to management with personal information on your co-workers.

Look at yourselves. What do you actually do that improves the business. Do you really need to have all day meetings that involve you talking about your family and holidays when you have staff working hard and getting little recognition? Value your staff . Also , why are ALL black employees either working in the kitchen or cleaners? 300 people in the building. All management are female in every department with exception of one (the director). Mix it up a little. If you are going to have "DIVERSITY" as your buzzword for the millenia, then follow by example and bring everyone to the table.

Simply not worth the effort

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance

Pros

lots of nice people to work with

Cons

the environment is very political
    Senior leaders are incompetent and promote people in their own image

Need for new leaders is evident at senior levels, they have simply been there too long

Okay but wouldn't recommend to a good friend.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time

Pros

Covance offers the opportunity to work from home or part-time for those that need it which is good for those with families. The Maidenhead office is brand new and quite bright so at least you can see the sun outside even if your skin will never feel it.

Cons

The office is very far away from the town center, the bus into town takes 15 minutes each way and with a 45 minute lunch break that leaves 15 minutes to rush around town, eat and get back to the bus. The canteen food is supposedly subsidised but it makes you wonder what the original cost was when a bag of quavers can set you back 90p and a main meal is normally £5+. The company do not like to pay for anything other than salaries, there is a 'sports and social club' that charges monthly but the money mainly goes towards events organised and attended by one particular group without notification to anyone else. Christmas parties will set you back £30+ and Christmas lunch (in the canteen) will set you back nearly £10.

Show more appreciation to your long-term employees. Moral and productivity are strongly related, most employees feel very uninspired at the moment. Appreciation could be shown by giving opportunities to attend conferences or train in new skills. The pharmaceutical industry in general has a reputation for treating it's employees well but Covance is the odd one out in this case.

Also more care should be taken when hiring new employees, this might help reduce the extraordinary employee turnover rate.

Looking to leave ASAP - seems to be the consensus

Current Employee - Project Manager in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I actually can't think of any pro's. Well the money is decent

Cons

Micromanagement - doesn't work for me. No work life balance. Individuals are friendly but no sense of team or team spirit. Every person I speak to seems to be looking to leave.

Try treating employees with more respect, I have heard the way people talk to each other and it does not impress me. Line management patronising their line reports in an open plan office. And non issues being escalated unnecessarily.

Great industry experience, but not very enjoyable. Such a shame.

Current Employee - Scientist in Harrogate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Scientist in Harrogate, England (UK)

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The salary isn't too bad.
    - Paid overtime.
    - Some of the people who work there are great.
    - A reasonably good system in place for progression.
    - Quite a large emphasis on training.

Cons

- Employee turnover is quite high.
    - The decent people often end up leaving.
    - Too afraid to get rid of incompetent employees.
    - Not afraid to make people redundant when there is a drop in work.
    - Money is by far the company's highest priority - the employees get forgotten.
    - The senior management make poor decisions, often at the expense of the employees.
    - Lack of recognition or reward for hard work.
    - Will take on far too much work to make a bit more money.
    - I regularly work over 50 hours a week.
    - A lot of the staff are rude and unfriendly.
    - Some of the equipment is outdated and barely works.

Remember that a companies most valuable asset is it's employees - don't take advantage of them.

Trample employees to attain maximum profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Covance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company offer an excellent salary

Cons

A blame culture exists to compensate for ineffective management systems

Reward your staff with more than money to reduce your high turn over. It will save you money in the long run

Typical CRO, lots of work but little reward and progression

I worked at Covance (more than a year)

Pros

The chance to work on multiple projects and with some of the industries biggest companies
    Good levels of technology used and vendors
    Ok basic salary

Cons

Lack of career progression and oppertunity to develop
    outdated views on work life balance
    basic salaries do not correlate to the huge levels of work