Covanta Reviews

Tony Orlando

1. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Covanta full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits package, overall great environment to work for. They do a wonderful job at employee recognition.

Cons

Lack of communication at times from upper management, which creates confusion and sometimes tension.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to speak up - there are many issues that could be resolved if they felt like their input mattered.

2. Data Analyst

I worked at Covanta

Pros

Great people, great culture, great company

Cons

Unchallenging work, but nothing else

Advice to Management

More challenging work

3. Can't be trusted

I have been working at Covanta

Pros

Union contract support has given decent pay and benefits. Good job security.

Cons

Long hours with mountains of overtime every year. The management in our Hennepin facility is directly focused on production. Safety is plastered all over the walls ,but when a job needs to be done every procedure is thrown out the window. we haven't had a meeting with a safety coordinator in six months.
    Excessive smoking of our combustion furnaces cause great concern of health risks for any one in the plant or honestly in the area. New gas monitors have been added and every time the alarm goes off no warning or exit procedure for any employee or general contractor is given. More often than not the supervisors will actually just open the breaker to the gas monitors because it's a "nuisance".

Advice to Management

"Step up" and focus your budget toward safely creating a productive facility, would create a healthy happy working environment.

5. terrible working conditions and treated like a slave

Former Employee - Operations in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations in Newark, NJ

I worked at Covanta full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great employees to work with on a daily basis below the shift supervisor, unfortunately they are drug through the mud also eventually effecting moral

Cons

terrible air quality, treated like a slave, not supplied with appropriate tools/equipment to accomplish job properly. schedule is awful 42hr work week (12hr/day wed is half day), unfortunately with call ins/vacations and the under manning your are getting called in for mandatory overtime working approx 54-60 hrs/week more than not. safety is preached but not executed at all. company lives with broken equipment and would rather make employees compensate for the broken equipment vise spending the money to get it repaired. there is no training structure besides self taught ojt. I didn't have one signature on my qual card and after two weeks of being at the company I assumed the watch by myself. while "on call" I could be on my nights rotation(rotates days/nights every two weeks) and on day off could get called in for a 12hr day shift to turn back around the next day to start full week on nights again, making it impossible to get into a swing of things leading to being overtired nonstop.

Advice to Management

stop penny pinching everything and get the appropriate tools/supplies needed to accomplish job properly and safely. change the schedule and/or hire add additional personnel

6. Buyer

I worked at Covanta

Pros

decent benefits, good hours, salary isn't best but not terrible

Cons

Micromanagement, corp people who have never set foot in a plant think they know better but reality says they are total screw ups

Advice to Management

back off and let the plants run themselves

Downhill Slide

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at Covanta full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Above industry average pay and benefits. The job is not monotonous. New systems are continually being installed and they are starting to update the technology on older systems. Committed to safety with a well-intentioned safety program.

Cons

Deterioration of health benefits (every year they seem to increase by just as much as the 2% cost of living raise). They have no regard for an employees personal life. Permanent schedules changed without employee consideration. Mandatory overtime on an almost weekly basis, but you're not told about it until the last possible minute. The safety program has good intentions, but is merely a facade when production is in question. Management style is to run the place into the ground and then fix it when it finally destroys itself (leading to previously mentioned overtime/callouts).

Advice to Management

Go back to caring about the employees as much as you care about the $$$. A yearly barbecue doesn't really make up for the way you treat employees the rest of the year. Rising health care costs are not your fault, but you need to realize that a persons life shouldn't have to revolve around their occupation. Rather than change an employees schedule to cut back on overtime and callouts, try utilizing a PM program to fix things before they break.

8. Great Experience!

I worked at Covanta

Pros

The team environment kept me motivated.

Cons

I was unable to get the position I wanted.

Typical corporate company with all the politics to go along with it

Former Intern - IT Systems Engineer in Morristown, NJ
    Former Intern - IT Systems Engineer in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Covanta as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

IT infrastructure is top notch, is constantly expanding and being kept up to date. Pay was fair for an internship and working overtime was not really I problem if I felt like putting in some extra time. The Morristown office is beautiful, modern and there is plenty of coffee and beverages around for anyone to enjoy. There are a lot of different and new technologies in play at Covanta, so there is a lot to gain and learn - You just need to branch out of your comfort zone.

Cons

Company culture is very stuffy. Upper management, VPs and assistants are all very snobby and wouldn't be caught dead mingling with the normal folk at the company. Many of the executive assistants will do whatever they can to make your life more difficult and think they have more power than they actually do. CEO Tony Orlando is standoffish and again wouldn't be caught dead conversing with anyone below the VP level. You have your normal corporate politics at this company and it often interferes with your work.

Advice to Management

Treat the lower and middle level employees with more respect. These people do the brunt of the work for the company and they are often treated like the garbage that is dumped daily at one of the many sites.

10. Typical

I have been working at Covanta

Pros

Typical corporation. did not talk much to others. they outsource alot and did not get a feel for how the company works..

Cons

what do they do? management is quiet and do not keep people in the know.

11. Not bad to work if you are single

I have been working at Covanta

Pros

Good pay and benefits package

Cons

High turnover due to burnout

Covanta Photos