Covanta

Be The First To
Add Photos

Covanta President and CEO Tony Orlando

Tony Orlando

Excellent Work Life Balance - Green Company!

I have been working at Covanta full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork Life Balance - Very Flexible. In Morristown, NJ. Upper management is approachable. They welcome questions and ideas, and seem to know employees on a first name basis. Rare for large company. IT is on cutting edge. Solid company with a long future ahead.

ConsPromotions are far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think bonus logic.

Great Place to Work If You Enjoy Stress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Morristown, NJ

I worked at Covanta full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive pay and company benefits

ConsThe bottom line is that Covanta is a publicly held company that is only concerned with meeting its annual revenue targets in response to a profit-driven Board of Directors. This company has had a financially troubled history – it emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy and reorganization in 2002, only to hit financial turbulence again in 2013. Just after the 3rd quarter ended in 2013, the CEO sent around a company-wide email to all employees letting everyone know that the company had already forecast that it was going to fail to meet its 2013 revenue target and that no one should expect any bonuses at the end of the year. One month after that, a company-wide “reorganization and realignment” was announced, and news of the layoffs began. When it realized it couldn’t meet profit targets, the company instead instituted massive budget cuts, including cutting people’s jobs, to shore up its bottom line. Both short-term and long-time employees were let go. But the senior management team still got their raises after the end of the year.

The culture at the company headquarters is very cut-throat. Everyone is driven to meet whatever performance goals are set for them, because if they don’t, the repercussions are severe. HQ has quarterly “business review” meetings that are literally 8 hours of back-to-back Power Point presentations by regional VPs and business managers detailing the financial health of the facilities under their control. The Power Points are literally charts of numbers, and if the facilities aren’t doing well financially, then lots of red ink dominates the charts. There is huge pressure to meet profit goals and if those goals are not met, lower-level employees suffer. The atmosphere at HQ is also a classic example of “silos” – the departments and divisions are quite insular from each other, but the senior management team exhibits a lot of cut-throat competition in competing against each other for top dog position, who gets credit for successes, and who gets blamed for failures. Overall, the stress level, in my opinion, is not worth working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to cut people's jobs, then maybe you shouldn't be pulling down any raises for yourselves.

Doing more and more for less and less.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Covanta full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA large corporate support team with lots expertise to solve most operational problems. Cash flow to finance solutions for unexpected event.

ConsOne size fits all solutions directed from above. Always looking for someone to blame. Every facility run according to what works for local manager because most directives are not explained. Poor feedback till problems arrives. Constant waiting on the next approval.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of good solutions looking for a problem to solve.

Auxiliary Engineer Position - Covanta Energy

I have been working at Covanta

ProsGain experience as an auxiliary engineer - (boiler operator)

ConsHard work goes unnoticed by management

I'll miss this place...

Facility Safety Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Covanta full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay, leave accrual, co-workers, and benefits.

ConsCan quickly find yourself stuck in your position if you aren't in Operations.

professional safe team oriented workplace.

Picker Operator (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Covanta full-time for less than a year

ProsTeam oriented. Can climb if willing to work. Great benefits. Blue collar atmosphere.

ConsLong time vets makes the climb up the ladder take some time. Upper management makes change take a long time to implement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees acounttable with rewards and punishments not just status quo.

Excellent place to work for a first job.

Intern (Former Employee)
Morristown, NJ

I worked at Covanta as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are great here and the atmosphere is excellent. Not like my previous internship. I really enjoyed my time here.

ConsThere were no downsides for me to work here. The pay is a little low but it's a great way to get your good in the door.

Look elsewhere if not male

Manager (Former Employee)
Fairfield, NJ

I worked at Covanta full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIn a business that provides benefits to man and nature (eliminates solid waste while creating energy)

ConsInternal management <> employee integrity
Do not do what they say they will do
Do not listen to the DOERS

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more 180 reviews. Listen, Listen, LISTEN --- then DO

Would look elsewhere

Auxiliary Operator (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Covanta full-time for less than a year

Proshealthcare and benefits are the only plus

ConsPower Plant is in rough shape, 20 plus years of absolute years of abuse, bad work environment, ash everywhere. In 6 months never came across the union once, the company need to put money into the plant to make it run better Limping by with bad equipment. Really isnt any employee morel, lots of negatives, they always run skeleton crews and always hiring it seems like. Anybody that wants to work her - keep looking, no amount of money is worth that much frustation and mental anguish, personally can never get enough done without being judged by other operators

Advice to Senior Managementmake a decision instead of asking everyone else, get some real direction

Good place to be mediocre

I have been working at Covanta full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCutting Edge Technology, Good industry for the global conditions

ConsNo recognition, average bonuses, hugs silos, favoritism to old boy network within, poor executive leadership out of touch with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide resources for goals you set

Worked for Covanta? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Covanta reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Covanta CEO Tony Orlando. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Covanta employees.