Covanta

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Covanta President and CEO Tony Orlando

Tony Orlando

Renewable Energy great industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe job environment was very flexible and understanding of ones abilities and personal issues. The people were all very friendly and down to earth. They took time to help if you needed extra training on something and the pay was competitive. As major decisions were being made in the company, they were not communicated to us until last minute which made the job very shaky near the end.

ConsBudgeting and monthly forecasting was very tedious and not true to reality. Often times upper management wanted to ignore the real picture and see things as they hoped it would happen. The division I worked in was very small with little room for advancement. I grew bored with my duties as there was not much added to my workload even after asking for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping an open line of communication is very helpful with employees. Also being realistic with financial outcomes saves a lot of time and energy that can be used towards other meaningful projects that will help better the company.

Great Pay for Extremely Dirty Work

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompensation was great. Working autonomously was a nice perk rather than having others always breathing down your neck.

ConsTeamwork and camaraderie was lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to terminate those who aren't pulling their weight.

Trash burning energy company.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Long Beach, CA

ProsSome good people trying to good things with garbage.

ConsManagement, of course, makes bottom line decisions while people on the front lines suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right amount of people to do what's required. So what if you don't make that extra couple thousand dollars!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Work Life Balance - Green Company!

Morristown, NJ

ProsWork Life Balance - Very Flexible. In Morristown, NJ. Upper management is approachable. They welcome questions and ideas, and seem to know employees on a first name basis. Rare for large company. IT is on cutting edge. Solid company with a long future ahead.

ConsPromotions are far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think bonus logic.

Great Place to Work If You Enjoy Stress

(Former Employee)
    Morristown, NJ

ProsCompetitive pay and company benefits

ConsThe bottom line is that Covanta is a publicly held company that is only concerned with meeting its annual revenue targets in response to a profit-driven Board of Directors. This company has had a financially troubled history – it emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy and reorganization in 2002, only to hit financial turbulence again in 2013. Just after the 3rd quarter ended in 2013, the CEO sent around a company-wide email to all employees letting everyone know that the company had already forecast that it was going to fail to meet its 2013 revenue target and that no one should expect any bonuses at the end of the year. One month after that, a company-wide “reorganization and realignment” was announced, and news of the layoffs began. When it realized it couldn’t meet profit targets, the company instead instituted massive budget cuts, including cutting people’s jobs, to shore up its bottom line. Both short-term and long-time employees were let go. But the senior management team still got their raises after the end of the year.

The culture at the company headquarters is very cut-throat. Everyone is driven to meet whatever performance goals are set for them, because if they don’t, the repercussions are severe. HQ has quarterly “business review” meetings that are literally 8 hours of back-to-back Power Point presentations by regional VPs and business managers detailing the financial health of the facilities under their control. The Power Points are literally charts of numbers, and if the facilities aren’t doing well financially, then lots of red ink dominates the charts. There is huge pressure to meet profit goals and if those goals are not met, lower-level employees suffer. The atmosphere at HQ is also a classic example of “silos” – the departments and divisions are quite insular from each other, but the senior management team exhibits a lot of cut-throat competition in competing against each other for top dog position, who gets credit for successes, and who gets blamed for failures. Overall, the stress level, in my opinion, is not worth working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to cut people's jobs, then maybe you shouldn't be pulling down any raises for yourselves.

Doing more and more for less and less.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA large corporate support team with lots expertise to solve most operational problems. Cash flow to finance solutions for unexpected event.

ConsOne size fits all solutions directed from above. Always looking for someone to blame. Every facility run according to what works for local manager because most directives are not explained. Poor feedback till problems arrives. Constant waiting on the next approval.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of good solutions looking for a problem to solve.

Auxiliary Engineer Position - Covanta Energy

ProsGain experience as an auxiliary engineer - (boiler operator)

ConsHard work goes unnoticed by management

I'll miss this place...

Facility Safety Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsPay, leave accrual, co-workers, and benefits.

ConsCan quickly find yourself stuck in your position if you aren't in Operations.

professional safe team oriented workplace.

Picker Operator (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsTeam oriented. Can climb if willing to work. Great benefits. Blue collar atmosphere.

ConsLong time vets makes the climb up the ladder take some time. Upper management makes change take a long time to implement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees acounttable with rewards and punishments not just status quo.

Excellent place to work for a first job.

Intern (Former Employee)
    Morristown, NJ

ProsThe people are great here and the atmosphere is excellent. Not like my previous internship. I really enjoyed my time here.

ConsThere were no downsides for me to work here. The pay is a little low but it's a great way to get your good in the door.

Worked for Covanta? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Covanta reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Covanta CEO Tony Orlando. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Covanta employees.