Covario Reviews

A Positive Example of Agency Life

Current Employee - SEO  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - SEO in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As with any Agency job, this company requires a certain amount of dedication in order to succeed. Hours can vary from long intense weeks to fun shorter weeks with team lunches and outings.

Agency life is sink or swim - "self-starters" who don't just do the bare minimum tend to excel over time. Promotions from within are common. The team is good, business is thriving, and politics are frowned upon.

Upper management (including CEOs) are all industry veterans with a LOT of experience.

Overall it's a great place to learn and start your career in marketing. For those who excel, it is a great place to grow and learn new skills. Just don't expect things to be handed over for free.

Cons

Growth takes time - people are not rewarded right away for their efforts, which can be frustrating.
    Long hours at times- You are at the mercy of your clients and some weeks are absolutely horrible.
    New Managers - Managers are almost all promoted from within, so they don't always know what they are doing.
    Pay is "low" for beginners with little starting experience. It can take a while to increase. That said, it is higher than average for the industry.

Focus on maintaining company culture (that "small business" feeling) while growing. Facilitate employee growth, fire those people who bring the team down, and reward those people who deserve it.

Great company

I worked at Covario

Pros

opportunities, good work life balance

Cons

low pay grade, hard to make more money

Great place to work. Good clients, competitive salary. Management that encourages growth.

I have been working at Covario full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth Opportunities are Great
    Acceptable Pay, could be better
    Smart People working there
    Great client list
    Award WInning Search agency

Cons

Technology can be improved
    More vacation time!

Keep on pushing the envelope and innovating.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely talented group of people who are highly motivated to drive stellar results for an impressive group of clients

Current Employee - Account Director  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Director in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Covario full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with Covario for some time, and one thing I have been most impressed with over the last 4+ years is the talented group of people around me. I have worked for other agencies in a similar role in the past...and can't recall a time I was as confident as I am now in the work our internal teams are delivering for the clients I have managed. Everyone is extremely knowledgeable, and really goes above & beyond to ensure we not only meet our client objectives, but exceed them. I really enjoy the people I work with from a personal level as well. I've had the opportunity to work with some incredible clients, and our management team has a proven track record of success, which leaves me very confident in the future of our agency. The fast paced growth has been extremely exciting to be a part of, and happens to be the type of environment I thrive in.

Cons

The only "con" I can think of is that there seems to be fewer growth opportunities for remote employees.

Continue listening to our employees, and develop ways for remote employees to grow within the organization

Great place to work, best in the industry.

Current Employee - Client Services  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario full-time for more than a year

Pros

I spent many years at a competing agency, it's SO nice having a leadership team that actually understands what we do, not to mention the focus! Best in the industry, great co-workers, great culture. The work from home flexibility is awesome if you have kids!

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the years (more than one acquisition), and unfortunately with that comes some instability and employee overlap. That seems to be worked out for the most part but i could see that being an on-going issue as the company continues to grow.

Continue to focus on the employees.

Challenging but Fun. Great for self starters and people who can deliver high results and work efficiently.

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great benefits including insurance, 401k, flex savings options, productivity bonuses and more. Plenty of room for growth . Great client base. High quality customer service and retention is the core focus of this firm.

Cons

Fast moving results driven culture requires you to self motivate and deliver high level results without being micro managed. Many of the negative comments seem to have come from recent cutbacks.

Communicate company direction and strategies better. Team building events and initiatives could help with morale.

Small digital media company with great people.

Former Employee - Biz Dev  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Biz Dev in Seattle, WA

I worked at Covario full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great people to work with, growing company, good location, good benefits, voted one of San Diego's best places to work, many company activities including picnics, monthly meetings, foosball, and a daily happy hour.

Cons

Many levels of management, unrealistic goals, small I.T. team with limited resources, acquiring companies that did not help to grow sales, asking you to perform more than your job functions, not a good work/life balance, long hours.

Get to know your team better and what they can contribute, and which of them is contributing

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Covario full-time

Pros

-Good location in La Jolla.
    -Can work remotely.

Cons

-High Turnover.
    -Lack of vision and visibility.
    -Low pay.
    -Very boring work.

Start over.

great co-workers but you couldn't trust management

I worked at Covario full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best SEO agency in the industry
    Great client roster
    Top rate client service team
    Ambitious company

Cons

Attempts to become a SaaS company was a disaster
    Amateur product development team
    C-level management placed profits over people
    C-level management had no idea what it was doing

Always practice what you preach.

Great place to learn everything NOT to do

I worked at Covario full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Other than a few bad apples, friendly, intelligent people – I made a few friends for life. Depending on your role there, good opportunity to expand your networking circle.

Cons

The culture of this company was toxic during my tenure there. A lot of infighting between upper management and a lot of crazy politics that clouded the decisions made on the company's business model and it's focus – which shifted with the wind (are we an agency or are we a software company.... or are we an agency...?). Corporate and agency sides are very understaffed to allow a ridiculous amount of money to continue flowing to a sub-par and overly expensive software suite of products.

All of this made achieving any business goals set for you (or you set for yourself) virtually impossible. When you do achieve something, be prepared for someone else to take the credit. Most people there are paid below industry average, and expected to work a lot of overtime and weekends. Management seems more concerned with painting a certain image of the company to the outside world, rather than actually doing anything internally to make that image a reality. Last CEO had rose colored glasses on in regards to the working conditions of this company and his employee satisfaction.

I honestly didn't know very many people (other than upper management) that have enjoyed their jobs or felt like they matter in the slightest. Their benefits and HR department are a joke, and the "culture" needs some serious work - it takes more than some cool chairs in the break room to make employees happy and not ready to jump ship at the 1st opportunity.

Drop the software side completely - it is a sinking ship. With the recent C-level management change, Covario still has a small window to turn things around and be the company it claims to be – and more. But it will take serious investments in head count and organizational structure, changes in mid and upper management (clean house already!!), and a serious attitude shift in how they treat and pay their employees.

Worked for Covario? Contribute to the Community!