Covario Reviews

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014

Jeff Johnson and Mike Gullaksen

Great company, great people, great clients...

Current Employee - Client Services in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A very mature staff, most employees have been in the space for several years (4+ in almost all cases). An amazing client roster, clients that actually appreciate and support the team (more partner relationships than vendor). The flexible work schedule is great for families, as long as the work gets done. Lots of paid holidays.

Cons

Like most agencies, the hours / weeks can be long but that is expected. While department functions are still somewhat siloed, things have been getting more integrated the last 12+ months.

Continue doing what you're doing, the vast majority of existing employees approve. Hold true to the company values, that's what people want.

Great Growing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay.
    Friendly, talented staff.

Cons

Siloed organization.
    Lots of people leaving from Software group.
    IT Department is understaffed

Improve communications, have greater transparency. Hire more IT staff

Potential Employees Beware

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Covario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has won a lot of rewards, may be more stable financially with iProspect, hopefully influence of iProspect senior management from the acquisition brings a new level of professionalism and maturity to the senior management team.

Cons

Senior management is mostly remote, very hollow and superficial care for employees, only when key workers doing the work of two people started quitting for better pay and better work conditions did management look at how low some some salaries were. It's a gamble here, unless you know paid media. That seems to be the only team that's happy coming to work.

Employees see through the superficiality of Covario top management, how you can try to run a global agency and sit in a home office remotely is worthy of some reassessment by new iProspect management.

No leadership in senior levels

I have been working at Covario full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers support one another, only team that seems to feel appreciated and like being here is the SEM team, quarterly bonus payouts, location

Cons

Little control over getting 100% bonus payout! remote senior management is a joke - sales guys with little leadership experience, lopsided pay

Get some soft skill leadership training, communicate better with employees

Terrible Management, Leadership and Vision

Former Employee - Paid Media in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Paid Media in San Diego, CA

I worked at Covario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice Location, Attractive junior staff. Acts like a "real" business, but it is really a joke.

Cons

Too Many to name
    Terrible CEOs
    Awful VPs
    Useless Leadership
    No Vision
    Russ, the former CEO was the ONLY thing positive about the firm
    Really poor pay
    Long hours, no benefits

Hire Some - real managers with real business experience. Not frat boys with no idea how to run a serious company

A Positive Example of Agency Life

Current Employee - SEO in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - SEO in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As with any Agency job, this company requires a certain amount of dedication in order to succeed. Hours can vary from long intense weeks to fun shorter weeks with team lunches and outings.

Agency life is sink or swim - "self-starters" who don't just do the bare minimum tend to excel over time. Promotions from within are common. The team is good, business is thriving, and politics are frowned upon.

Upper management (including CEOs) are all industry veterans with a LOT of experience.

Overall it's a great place to learn and start your career in marketing. For those who excel, it is a great place to grow and learn new skills. Just don't expect things to be handed over for free.

Cons

Growth takes time - people are not rewarded right away for their efforts, which can be frustrating.
    Long hours at times- You are at the mercy of your clients and some weeks are absolutely horrible.
    New Managers - Managers are almost all promoted from within, so they don't always know what they are doing.
    Pay is "low" for beginners with little starting experience. It can take a while to increase. That said, it is higher than average for the industry.

Focus on maintaining company culture (that "small business" feeling) while growing. Facilitate employee growth, fire those people who bring the team down, and reward those people who deserve it.

Great company

I worked at Covario

Pros

opportunities, good work life balance

Cons

low pay grade, hard to make more money

Great place to work. Good clients, competitive salary. Management that encourages growth.

I have been working at Covario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth Opportunities are Great
    Acceptable Pay, could be better
    Smart People working there
    Great client list
    Award WInning Search agency

Cons

Technology can be improved
    More vacation time!

Keep on pushing the envelope and innovating.

Extremely talented group of people who are highly motivated to drive stellar results for an impressive group of clients

Current Employee - Account Director in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Director in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Covario full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Covario for some time, and one thing I have been most impressed with over the last 4+ years is the talented group of people around me. I have worked for other agencies in a similar role in the past...and can't recall a time I was as confident as I am now in the work our internal teams are delivering for the clients I have managed. Everyone is extremely knowledgeable, and really goes above & beyond to ensure we not only meet our client objectives, but exceed them. I really enjoy the people I work with from a personal level as well. I've had the opportunity to work with some incredible clients, and our management team has a proven track record of success, which leaves me very confident in the future of our agency. The fast paced growth has been extremely exciting to be a part of, and happens to be the type of environment I thrive in.

Cons

The only "con" I can think of is that there seems to be fewer growth opportunities for remote employees.

Continue listening to our employees, and develop ways for remote employees to grow within the organization

Challenging but Fun. Great for self starters and people who can deliver high results and work efficiently.

Current Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great benefits including insurance, 401k, flex savings options, productivity bonuses and more. Plenty of room for growth . Great client base. High quality customer service and retention is the core focus of this firm.

Cons

Fast moving results driven culture requires you to self motivate and deliver high level results without being micro managed. Many of the negative comments seem to have come from recent cutbacks.

Communicate company direction and strategies better. Team building events and initiatives could help with morale.

Covario Photos

Covario BBQ
Someone got some presents on their desk
new CEO mixer