Coventry Health Care

www.coventryhealthcare.com

Coventry Health Care Reviews in Downers Grove, IL

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • The flexibility of a work from home position as well ass the income potential(in 22 reviews)

• Good work life balance for staff lucky to be chosen for the Hoteling program(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No regard for work-life balance; particularly poor health benefits since Aetna acquisition(in 11 reviews)

• I see co workers in other areas struggling due to poor management, no work life balance and poor training(in 7 reviews)

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Individual Medical Insurance Underwriter

Individual Medical Insurance Underwriter (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsLocation; Work from home option; reasonable pay

ConsInsurance benefits; Facility not updated; Too many reserved parking spaces

Like a sinking ship since the Aetna acquisition closed

Manager - IT (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsRecently acquired by a big-name company that seems to have better vision and commitment to customers and employees. If you can avoid the inevitable integration staff reductions, you might be able to find a place inside the mothership.

ConsMany of the best managers and staff have found jobs elsewhere - unfortunately, a lot of lower performers and people waiting for retirement are the ones who are left. Benefits under Aetna are much more expensive than they were under Coventry, and they only offer high-deductible medical plans (no PPO or HMO option).

It was a great place to work.

Senior Applications Development Consultant (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsGreat for work-life balance. There are work at home opportunities, flexible hours, generous vacation and benefits.

ConsJust got bought out by Aetna, so future is bleak. Most of us will probably lose our jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company tries hard

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsThe most ethical company for which I have worked. This company is thoughtful about business decisions...the knee doesn't jerk.

ConsA lot of change is coming.

An average company to work for. Not the best culture.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsStability - Health Insurance space.
    Growth

ConsPlenty of layers to deal with
    Moves slowly
    Employee engagement lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employee asset.
    Walk the talk

Lot of hours, no correct direction from Management

Developer (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsLocation and that's the only thing I can think of

Cons1. Lot of hours. Night and weekends is norm.
    2. Less team work. Old office environment
    3. Too many things needs to be done at one time. No prioritization from upper management.
    4. Worst work culture, just a sweat shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't see people as resource, see them as asset.
    Improve work culture, have a vision and direction for the teams

If you want to enter into the Business Analysis field, this might be your start!

Business Analyst, Project Manager (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsIt is a good entry place into the health care field. At Coventry, you are able to get the knowledge of Legacy health systems. They provide payment for PMP certification which is a good entry point to other fields. If you are looking for an entry point into the Business Analysis field, this will be a good starting point for you. When you are here, please make contacts and network as much as you can. If you also like a laid back, quiet (emphasis on the word: quiet), you just might like this place. Another benefit of working at Coventry is that once a while, you get to travel outside of your resident office.

ConsCoventry pays substantially below the market value. As a result of this, i have observed several staff, (management included) jump ship to other lucrative opportunities. To put this in a humorous way, the turn around is as bad as you see in UPS!
    Second downside is that Coventry is behind on technology. They still use legacy systems and to keep up with the growing market, they have to subcontract their work to other companies. On the employee level, let me give you an insight: When i started there, my desktop (yes desktop) with the monitor from 1968. The PC was running on Windows 98.
    Another disadvantage is that although there is high turnover, the long time staff are not being promoted. When an executive position opens up, they waste so much time looking at resources externally and don't promote from within. When the executive position fills up with a new recruit, the new person sees how bad Coventry is and leaves, now we are back again to square one.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into promotion from within, Please pay more, Please update computers, switch to laptops and please create some worthwhile projects. Please offer training concurrent with the times. and so much more!

Worked for Coventry Health Care? Contribute to the Community!