Coverity Reviews

Coverity Chairman, President and CEO Anthony Bettencourt
Anthony Bettencourt

1. Ruined when acquired by Synopsys

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent leadership. Great senior management. Great benefits. Salary and good work/life balance.

Cons

Culture destroyed when acquired by Synopsys

2. Interesting Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Coverity (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting problems. Good people to work with. Good compensation.

Cons

Really nothing of consequence. I wish the 401K match was a little better. The new Heath Savings Account is a little confusing.

Company failed to meet the expectations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Coverity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A real technology that is making an impact on the world. Customers who can think of the development process beyond the next release understand the value and are wiling to spend substantially on the products. The SF office space is excellent and the atmosphere has relaxed quite a bit since the acquisition. Synopsys is a very 'nice' and 'stable' company.

Cons

As much as they try to market themselves as something more, Coverity is a one product company and Synopsys is doing little to change that dynamic. Since the acquisition the wind has been taken out of the sales of the company and it is unclear what Synopsys would like to do with the company/technology in the future. This ambiguity has lead to apathy and high turnover in all departments, with the exception of R&D. It is a miracle that the R&D unit has stayed intact, but that will be short lived unless Synopsys begins to make clear what their software strategy.

Advice to Management

Synopsys lack of further investment into the Coverity business leads me to believe that the acquisition was an intentional distraction for the investors. The promise of investment in the high growth software space quelled concern about a flattening growth rate, but we will see how long Coverity can cover this up. My advice - commit to software and invest or get out of software and focus on EDA/IP.

5. Confused management, stagnant engineering

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Coverity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office culture is okay. There are a few employees who try hard to make the office great with their own personal events, so kudos to them. Work is flexible with great work from home policies.

Cons

Extremely stagnant technology. Code is old and struggles to grow. Personal growth is slow. Underpays severely.

Advice to Management

Listen to your architects. Do not be afraid to remove useless products and do not waste engineering resources.

6. Focused on driving technology, and keeping employees happy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Coverity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leading technology, care of employees, great work location, friendly staff. Flexible work hours for a part timer.

Cons

High turnover of some staff. Very sales driven company.

Advice to Management

Just keep your finger on the pulse of your employees.

working at coverity

Pros

Its a great place to work. relaxed, flexible, you can learn about domain knowledge

Cons

things move a little slowly. the stack can be upgraded to latest technologies

Great benefits, great work environment, great people, great compensation, interesting technical challenges

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Coverity full-time

Pros

The people are smart, the company takes great efforts to build a good work environment. Time-off policy is good.

Cons

There is a painful resistance to technical change and some of the tools and infrastructure has a very 90s feel to it.

Advice to Management

Take chances! Instead of building layer upon layer of cruft, management should be brave and willing to take chances in order to develop a real culture of innovation.

9. High turnover self-important company

Former Employee - Professional Services Engineer
    Former Employee - Professional Services Engineer

I worked at Coverity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks were nice, the view and location fantastic and the vacation policy good. They had a pretty good product.

Cons

Turnover was very high (I was warned about that by a friend with a business relationship with them) The product was good, but they were a one trick pony and didn't seem to know where to go next. There was a management change, but they had no good ideas for new product, and one silly one. Product was hard to install, and they pushed customers hard to buy services.

Advice to Management

Go from being a mostly static analysis company to being the leader in all aspects of software testing.

nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Coverity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people to work with; edge-cutting tech; awesome location; enjoyable all-hands; get encouraged from management all the time;

Cons

hard to get promoted in title and salary

Advice to Management

make career path more clear

Poor alignment, even worse management

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Coverity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office has a great location, close to caltrain, busses and has great parking. Tuesday treats are a nice perk and yoga as well. Great place to check a box on your resume, not a great place to learn and grow. They also pay well!

Cons

I learned so little at Coverity I feel that I am in a worse position for my career now that I was before. Management isn't aligned or motivated to continue growing. Some managers are outright inappropriate, on more than one occasion I considered going to HR to report the language I would hear.

Advice to Management

You have an awesome opportunity, don't waste it

RSS Feed </> Embed