Covidien

Covidien Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Covidien Chairman of the Board, President and CEO José E. Almeida

José E. Almeida

Pros
  • Strong performance, brand recognition (good resume builder) and work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Competitive pay and excellent bonus system with good benefits(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance not as good in recent months(in 20 reviews)

• There are some great people who work here but upper management sets a bad tone for the company(in 21 reviews)

Not a bad Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGave me a chance when I was just an intern

ConsName change means cut backs and "re-structuring"

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Good company and opportunities for growth.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThis company is good to work for becasue of the opportunities for growth. They are a proponent of promoting from within and truly execute on this.
    Some of the perks of the company as a full-time employess include summer hours and tuition reimbursement.

ConsOld-school upper-management - too much re-structure & contant changes. Not enough leveraging of technology for communication methods and too much unnecessary travel.

Good people and products

Marketing (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsCompany has treated me well. Competitive pay and excellent bonus system with good benefits. Culture is very conservative and has reasonable expectations. Good opportunities for advancement.

ConsCulture is highly conservative with much red tape which isn't unusual for size.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanges in culture must come from top down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

different

Production Operator (Former Employee) North Haven, CT

Prosthe condition of the workplace

Consno room for futhering the career

Advice to Senior Managementteamwork

Good company, some really good people, many changes in the near future

ProsGreat products
    Some knowledgeable people
    Big Company

ConsPolitics
    No life-work balance
    No technical knowledge
    No sales people promotion and support
    There are not fairly promotions, only people they know even if they cannot do the job

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics make inefficient teams and poor results

3) Managers are indifferent
    4) Political environment focused only on business and not on technology

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest
    Be accountable
    Don't hide behind the garb of show off and do really geniune stuff

Bureaucratic

Senior Development Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive compensation package.
    Some areas are innovative.
    Competent coworkers

ConsPoor work-life balance.
    Every department has a different goal/objective which makes cross-functional collaborative work difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to align goals cross-functionally.

Constant Change

Operations (Former Employee) Mansfield, MA

ProsSalaries are very good and competiitive. Financially sound and still making $$. Decent benefit package although for a Healthcare company, Health insurance is not that good. Fair amount of autonomy - not too much micromanaging.

ConsWork/life balance can easily get out of synch. Culture has definitely changed and very much $$ driven. Customer Service is likely going to suffer. Company has some sort of reorganization or shake up at least every 18 months. Acquistions aren't fully integrated and left to operate on their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the dust settle and reassess what are the priorities. Employee morale is very low and folks are "waiting for the other shoe to drop."

Much Room for Improvement

IT Department Employee (Current Employee) Mansfield, MA

ProsSolid salary and benefits. Lots of innovation going on in some areas of the company.

ConsThe CEO has good ideas and a vision that I can believe in but senior IT management is not able to realize his vision and instead continues to focus on the bottom line by cutting jobs and shipping others offshore at the expense of the quality of services. Those who remain are overworked, I would know, I'm still there after 3 rounds of layoffs. Morale is at an all time low, the department is poorly regarded by the rest of the company and there is no sense of job security. Senior IT management talks endlessly about how employees can become better partners with their business customers but when push comes to shove individual contributors are handicapped by bureaucracy, politics and an overwhelming workload leaving little room for free thought or any semblance of having their ideas heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusinesses today need to continue cost cutting measures to stay competitive but those in power should study how things work at the ground level before making arbitrary and ineffective changes.

Penny wise and pound foolish

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGood products and well known brands

ConsEarning potential is dependent on territory
    Salaries for salespersons are terrible

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to create a strategy and stick with it for more than a month. Remove the political machinations that are required to succeed and eliminate a lot of the subpar middle management. Management believes that fear is the best motivator and continues to replace quality salespeople with young, inexperienced people.

Worked for Covidien? Contribute to the Community!