Covidien

Covidien Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Covidien Chairman of the Board, President and CEO José E. Almeida

José E. Almeida

Pros
  • Strong performance, brand recognition (good resume builder) and work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Competitive pay and excellent bonus system with good benefits(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance not as good in recent months(in 20 reviews)

• There are some great people who work here but upper management sets a bad tone for the company(in 21 reviews)

Great Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team of people there work great together and help each other out. There is a sense of urgency, but no unnecessary pressures. It is a great atmosphere to work in. Great health benefits as well.

ConsSalaries are a little lower than other companies, but the atmosphere makes up for it.

It's ok

Director (Current Employee) Mansfield, MA

ProsOverall good industry to be in- even with all the gov't concern over healthcare cost

Conslack of overall direction, pressure on healthcare industry

Advice to Senior Managementpick a strategy and stick to it.

Great place to work

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsLearned of lot in my discipline.

ConsVery political atmopshere going all the way to VPs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great overall experience.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Mansfield, MA

ProsGreat benefits, great people, management works with you to get exposure.

ConsPay is a bit low, but most like commensurate with job function.

Marketing Manager

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsI enjoyed working for a company that changed patient's lives.

ConsThe company suffered from an identity crisis. Working across global business units, as I did, I found that the culture of the organization varied widely. Many of the marketers were not professional marketers. They were sales professionals on a rotation. They came in , tried to further their careers and moved on. This lead to a near-sighted mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to build a collaborative culture that focuses on continuity and long term outcomes. Also, layout career paths and stick to them. It was quite hard to get promoted.

Excellent products overshadowed by poor company culture and lack of consistent direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

Prosfriendly sales people, good training opportunities, good benefits, strong product portfolio

Conshighly political corporate environment, overt discrimination, lack of career advancement opportunities for women

Advice to Senior ManagementShed some of the layers of beauracracy, implement metrics to ensure goals for diversity in the workforce are actually achieved, be more vigilant of members of management with reputations for discrimation

Good company. Evolving management. lots of changes

Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits. training . relaxed environment. Ethical operation

ConsManagement heavy
    Critical decisions taken with low input from technical staff
    Stock price important
    bureaucracy
    too many meetings and few decisions.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter product focus
    reduce number of acquisitions. Integrate them better. retain existing management from acquired companies

Fast paced working environment with overwhelming work-load.

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLots to keep you busy, strong safety oriented work culture, flexible deadlines

ConsLearning on the fly, work load seems overwhelming at times, knowledge is gained through experience

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on training and development

Too much to do and not enough time or people to do it with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mansfield, MA

ProsMost of my coworkers were nice. Cafeterias in all 5 buildings served descent food at a good price. Campus and buildings are well maintained. Fitness center on-site.

ConsThey are currently in the process of what they refer to as "right sourcing" which is a clever way of terminating employees and transferring their jobs to contract employees in India while keeping this practice very secretive from the media. Training is practically nonexistent and you are expected to learn new technologies on your own time (I was a non-saleried employee and they wouldn't approve overtime). They load too way much work on you with sub-par compensation. They expect email to be answered on your time off/vacations. Too many meetings that can easily be eliminated in simple face-to-face interactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking for ways to cut costs by eliminating jobs of the people that actually produce and eliminate the high-level managers that only take the credit for "saving money" for the company. Stop making up ridiculous goals of people just so you have something to put on their year-end review. Pay the employees what they deserve for the amount of work you expect from them.

Feels like we're on a sinking ship...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsSome of the people are nice to work with.
    Every month they try to organize a building-wide event/meal.
    They pay pretty well.
    Management is flexible in working with you in terms of scheduling.

ConsThey hire many temp/contract workers and make it seem like they will hire you full-time eventually, but never do.
    Things happen incredible slow around here. Waiting for people to approve something or change a simple item can take months.
    People come here to work, and then leave. Nobody seems to make an effort to get to know their coworkers. Guess this could be a good or a bad thing depending on the type of person you are.

Worked for Covidien? Contribute to the Community!