Covidien

Covidien Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Covidien Chairman of the Board, President and CEO José E. Almeida

José E. Almeida

Pros
  • Strong performance, brand recognition (good resume builder) and work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Competitive pay and excellent bonus system with good benefits (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • More with less initiatives driving 1 person for 2 jobs making for a low work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• There are some great people who work here but upper management sets a bad tone for the company (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

ProsStrong Leadership and lots of opportunities

ConsTechnology is not as up to date as it could be.

Place in transition

Project Manager (Current Employee) Mansfield, MA

ProsThe company has invested a lot in me personally. I have been put into several leadership and development programs, they reimburse my tuition for grad school, and I've been given the opportunity to travel around the world. It is truly a global company in the sense they we engage frequently with peers overseas.

ConsMany legacy employees are resistant to change and spend their time putting out fires. Few people have long term vision, failing to identify systemic issues and invest the time to resolve them. Instead they experience the same issues over and over again. In terms of culture, there is a vast difference between the business units and regions versus the corporate office. Corporate has too much bureaucracy and people working in silos. Across the organization different groups of people are working on the exact same project, but are completely unaware. No coordinated PMO to support business processes (just IS projects).

Advice to Senior ManagementMost senior leadership is comprised of stuffy old men who have spent decades with the company and never even worked outside the medical device industry. They lack perspective and the culture is very resist to change because of it. Given that we are currently going through an acquisition, I'm sure the new company will clear out the top leaders which is strongly needed.

Changing culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mansfield, MA

ProsEnjoy innovative culture but still new to company

ConsUncertain future given medtronic acquisition

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Demanding environment with growth opportunity for the ones willing to work for it

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsFlexible environment, challenging culture, empowered to define your own success. Leadership embraces work/life balance, however middle management can sometimes get in the way of that goal in seeking their own personal/professional objectives.

Consslow to action, highly reactionary, focus shifts often and fairly inefficient in their approach to answering questions or solving problems

Advice to Senior Managementengage in more skip level meetings with your individual contributors. Additionally, a more relaxed environment would benefit you as well.....we are located in Boulder, CO...act like it.

good place

Proscompensation and work life balance

Conslarge organization which creates a lot of bureaucratic glut.

Keep your eye on the ball.

Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosquality technical staff, good perks, good environment & location

Consvalues have slipped over the last 5 years, leadership now detached from technical staff

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to your staff since they know much more than you realize

Learned a lot about how to deal with all aspects of people.

ProsThe salary for unskilled labor with no education beyond high school or union. $20 plus an hour.

ConsIndividuals inability to recognize what a good job looks like.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more truthful, stop politicking.

Covidien is seeking an identity but ownership keeps changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities for community involvement. Decent pay, good opportunity to get bonuses, good retirement savings and company stock purchase plan.

ConsWork-life balance is definitely a struggle for anyone with a job tied to production (process engineering, production management, maintenance, operators, etc) since some lines run around the clock and on weekends and schedules are tight. Some middle managers are oriented toward pointing fingers or shooting the messenger instead of solving systemic problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the attitude of "not invented here" and benchmark some top notch companies including those not in the healthcare field. Simplify technology so supervisors and managers can focus on managing their processes instead of using multiple software programs.

Overall good experience within a changing environment

ProsGood results driven staff and working environment.

ConsAverage compensations with low annual increase and bonus opportunities. More with less initiatives driving 1 person for 2 jobs making for a low work life balance.

Good Luck with Medtronic Takeover of Covidien

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice workout room at Corporate
    Some people at work are friendly and caring
    Learn a lot drinking from the firehose

ConsConsistent compromise on Product Quality and Regulatory Compliance
    Catch me if you can attitude instead of making things right the first time
    Poor understanding of how to keep employees happy
    Everything is built around maximizing profit margin, penny wise, pound foolish
    There are reasons why the FDA audits Covidien more than peer companies .... they cut corners
    Incorporation in Ireland for a predominant US company tells you where the focus is ... money
    Turnover is high because people are treated like commodities instead of valuable assets

Advice to Senior ManagementNo thank you, I know they wouldn't listen

Worked for Covidien? Contribute to the Community!