Covidien

Profile Unclaimed

Good place to work

Current Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Covidien full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great facilities - some of the best labs in the country and a great fitness center with huge windows opening out to the flatirons. Good ESOPs. Good opportunities for growth in the right groups.

Cons

Smallish cubes, environment can seem a bit formal at times but site leadership is committed to improve it

good place to learn

I have been working at Covidien full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of learning,understanding management, great co workers

Cons

fast paced, company has lots of changes at all levels

none

Great company depending on your preferences

I worked at Covidien

Pros

Great benefit, large corporate experience

Cons

The company operates in small offices.

They'll give you work, but don't expect anything more.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Wabasha, MN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Wabasha, MN

I worked at Covidien

Pros

Their benefits package is good, I'll admit. The health insurance is top notch. And they match your 401K up to 6%, though that's basically standard with any large corporation.

Cons

There's very little work-life balance, especially if you're on 2nd or 3rd shift. You're almost always on overtime and you will end up working multiple six-day weeks in a row. Management is very sneaky and will often deceive employees. Decisions seem erratic and unfocused. No one plans anywhere in advance. Vacation days always have a knife held to them. There's very little room to move up for Tier 1 employees. There's only one job title they can claim, though they're more than willing to train an employee to fulfill all the duties then give them the same pay as a lower grade. You can request a transfer and those sometimes go through, but you'll just be moving to another part of the country to do the same exact thing you were doing before. It's a good place to end your career, but a terrible place to start it.

Before I left management said they wanted to hire more young people. You want to hire more young people? Give them a reason to stick around. They're not going to be happy with a 22K salary and only one promotion available for their position. If you want your employees to stay you have to invest in them. Give them somewhere to go.

I've learned a lot here. I've learned from the best and the worst so I know how I want to be and how I don't want to be

I worked at Covidien

Pros

The benefits are decent and there is a cafe on site. There is also a gym that employees can have access to for a small monthly fee.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by unless you "know someone" or they like you. At this point I would think promotions are scarce since there are several layoffs happening. Sensitivity is lacking as well.

Find a better way of dealing with layoffs. offering up the very jobs that people have been laid off to others while the ones being laid off are still there is in extremely poor taste.

Career Prospects

Current Employee - Product Manager in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Covidien

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment to take on new projects/responsibilities to expand skill set.

Cons

Lack of defined career development/people development plan.

Developing people development culture.

What a ride - opportunities,challanges, hardly a dull moment but big changes are coming.......

I have been working at Covidien full-time

Pros

If you can move, thereare opportunities nationwide and world-wide.
    You can work in an office, at home, be in the field, work in a plant, R&D or distribtuion center.
    if you are willing, you can get involoved in many different projects which introduce you to different areas/departments of the business.

Cons

We are about to be acquired so tensions are high, people are leaving - some by their choice, some not their choice.
    There are still some great people /teams here. People are on edge not knowing what is happening and when. Politics are in play as well. Outsourcing of jobs. Work/life balance can depend on the job!

Keep telling the team they are terrific and you appreciate us. Please really look at Serice Delivery - talk about how to make simple things more difficult. Look at distribtion - we have an opportunity aka problem. We have some projects that are taking too long and others that majically are prioritized and seem permitted to skip steps that are supposed to be mandatory.

Management is a joke

Former Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at Covidien full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good. They have a few experienced professionals. That is about all that can be said as a pro for this company.

Cons

Management has no clue at what they were doing.
    The manager with say one thing and the section supervisor will say another thing. They were never on the same page
    The environment use to be relaxed but know everyone is so tense.
    Communication between the sections and sites is non-existent

Get on the same page

Medical device company focused on the patient

I worked at Covidien full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to take on interesting projects and products.

Cons

Lack of clear direction from management. Lack of communication on goals and priorities from management.

Effective training, and communicating effectively with employees on goals, objectives, and priorities.

stay away

I worked at Covidien

Pros

vacation days and flexible hours

Cons

Management gives false hope. Many managers do not know how to manage. No one talks to one another. Very mean people. There is no expression of company values. compensation is not fair, too much work and not enough pay.