Covidien

www.covidien.com

Covidien Reviews in St. Louis, MO

Covidien Chairman of the Board, President and CEO José E. Almeida

José E. Almeida

Pros
  • Strong performance, brand recognition (good resume builder) and work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Competitive pay and excellent bonus system with good benefits(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance not as good in recent months(in 20 reviews)

• There are some great people who work here but upper management sets a bad tone for the company(in 21 reviews)

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A company with good benefits

Credit Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBenefits. Healthcare was nice. Vacation time good. Closes at Christmas.

ConsMiddle management is arrogant. They can be very difficult to work with. They don't like there employees to be involved in company sponsored events. Work only, no fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to be reviewed.

Probably would be better if in a different dept.

Senior Research Chemist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosflex time, vacation starts with 3 weeks

ConsNot a big enough company

Advice to Senior Managementmove people around when problems happen, don't just assume the employee is at fault

A good place to work but lacks growth potential

Planner (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsJob security and good co workers. Positive work environment.

ConsLack of growth opportunity and career development opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on talent management and talent retention

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people

Intern (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe working environment is good

ConsThey seem to lack a real sense of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your intern program. The idea should be to find future employees.

Toxic culture throughout HQ and Sites. Incompetent Management. Under no circumstance consider them. Getting worse!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hazelwood, MO

ProsDon't say you weren't warned !
    They do layoffs without a second thought. They don't care about their employees. Top layers protect each other.

ConsDysfunctional, toxic, back-woods culture. Below-average pay, poor benefits and the terrible leadership. Place is rotten from top down. In a business, you usually see a bad apple here and there. At Covidien-Hazelwood, you see nothing but bad and ineffective managers, directors, VP's, etc. Top heavy beyond belief. Silo's left and right. No interest in doing the right things. They just want to do stuff because the appearance of doing work is rewarded, not doing the right work. Read the reviews and you see a common thread in that the young interns are the only ones giving mediocre or above average reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. You wouldn't know a good idea under any circumstances.

Great Company to work for.

Quality Control (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsAdvancement opportunities. Overtime for non-exempt. Benefits are adove average.

ConsHigher than average stress levels due to nature of buisness.

Covidien is a disaster waiting to happen

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsMost of the people at Covidien are great to work with. Hours and location of work are very flexible depending on you position within the company.

ConsCompany is very unorganized. Each plant is silo'd from the others with very little communication in between plants. Covidien does not follow many FDA and OSHA regulations. They know this and refuse to fix most of them. THere are no processes, everything there is tribal knowledge at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who are actually capable of performing their jobs.

Sad future for what once used to be a leading pharma company

Senior Marketing Management (Current Employee) Hazelwood, MO

Pros-There are many intelligent mid to lower level workers at the St. Louis Plant and in R&D
    -Benefits are average
    -Pay is average but on the lower side compared to industry
    -High barrier to entry due to closed controlled substance borders and long costly approval processes

Cons-Poor strategy and management decisions have led to loss of talented employees
    -Covidien's decision to spin-off pharma due to drag on financials, lack of viable/sustainable pipeline projects, short-lived patent protection with weak prospects to fill void
    -Declining financials due to high costs and more innovative competitors
    -Non-global and highly dependent on US market
    -Company does not value diversity and is a rare haven for the typical young white male, however company is trying to mask this and have placed token women in VP positions
    -Who you know, not what you know, is the key to advancement
    -Very high turnover of upper-level management
    -Lack of innovation and industry leadership, me-too company
    -Unstable company

Advice to Senior Managementgood luck as a stand-alone pharma company in a tough, struggling industry.

Great place to work!

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPlenty of learning opportunities and room for advancement.

ConsPositions are siloed, can be frustrating.

Poor Culture, Poor Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hazelwood, MO

ProsGood, Knowledgeable people at mid to lower levels.

ConsR & D is poorly run and bad decision making (short term gain trumps long term success). Do not question leaders regardless of how little they understand (generic v. branded). Questionable business practices; poor ethics; Leadership by intimidation; Anything to save a dime including cutting corners and sacrificing quality. PM group led by micromanager who doesn't comprehend research yet influences every decision. Layoffs a possible strategy at any time to save money (2011 most recently). Running joke of the worker bees about Covidien is "We can't do it right the first time but we can do it again..."

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat would someone you respect think of you decisions as well as unwritten policies and practices?

Worked for Covidien? Contribute to the Community!