Covisint Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Sam Inman III

Pros
  • Option to work from home when needed; (in 7 reviews)

• Downtown Detroit a fun place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management seems to expect employees to work 24/7 - whatever it takes to meet the next insane deadline (in 3 reviews)

• Don't forget about Detroit city taxes (in 3 reviews)

1. Senior Product Manager

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Covisint

Pros

Covisint is currently going through an exciting period of cultural and organizational change. The shift of strategy is already being appreciated by market analysts. The company changed 50% of the top management, on-boarded top notch Silicon Valley Executives and opened a wonderful office in SF for the Product and Marketing organization, with an outstanding startup-like culture. In In the Detroit HQ, there are plenty of world class talents and domain experts that are being complemented by West Coast talents (compensated competitively). They are creating compelling IoT solutions and the business outlook is extremely positive. Very friendly and motivated people who want to make the difference. People turnover is extremely low.

Cons

The SF office is not for people who are looking for a 9-5 job. You have to be prepared to work hard and you will be rewarded for doing that. You have to be able to thrive into a highly uncertain environment that reflects the intrinsic fluidity of the IoT space.

Advice to Management

Keep letting people express themselves to unleash their full potential also after the change process will be over.

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Covisint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro's this place has is that they are very flexible with work schedules and offer a good work life balance (if you get the right manager).

Cons

Upper management has their heads up their own behind and have been with the company since it's inception, leading to no new ideas ever entering the corporation. when new ideas are presented they are quickly dismissed because upper management only listens to a small collection of "trusted" individuals whom are steering the company towards a cliff. Company does not spend any money on new tech, you are forced to make due with old equipment that is showing it age and no longer supported by the manufacturer, or they will outsource the hosting to some big data center somewhere even though the contracts they have with outside company strictly forbid it.

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out of your butts and get a clue. Stop relying on the opinions of a small handful "trusted" employees that don't really know about the ideas they are trying to sell you. Also listen to all of your employees when they try to tell you that something won't work the way you think it should be designed and deployed.

IoT Leader

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Covisint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Covisint has re-invented and re-positioned itself right in the middle of the hottest trend in the industry; IoT. Strong start-up look and feel, solid mission-critical solution, an existing customer based comprised of many of the who’s who in business. If you are looking for an opportunity to make a different and get involved with a company that’s going to change the world go to our website, www.covisint.com and apply!

Cons

Lots of important work to get done

5. Wide open potential, but issues to address

Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Covisint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't speak for everyone, but I was fairly compensated. The technology is impressive. For the most part, the people I worked with and for were exceptional in terms of their intellect, work ethic, and soft skills. Many people I worked with were genuinely brilliant people. The company has a lot of potential. Once the partnerships (primarily Cisco) start developing business, this company could take off quickly. I disagree with what I have seen many say about executive leadership. In my experience, they have been very approachable - especially Sam Inman, whom I spoke with directly more than any other executive. I can't speak to their competence because I am not at a level where I can gage it, but the executive personalities were not my complaint (the effect of some executive promises I will address in the "Cons" section below).

Cons

They do shoot from the hip far too much and need to get organized. Way too reactive and not just to industry, but to daily operations. I am concerned about the company's ability to handle growth (if the partnership agreements do bear fruit) because of the lack of well documented support information and overall level of organization. One drawback I have noticed with brilliant people is they pride themselves on both how fast they can learn things and how many things they know - and Covisint has a lot of brilliant people. But something these brilliant people do not do so well is document their environment. They just assume that everyone is brilliant and can either learn on their own or assimilate it from another brilliant person in a single conversation. I tried for months just to get a list of WHICH APPLICATIONS we were responsible for supporting. I was eventually able to establish my own list (not sure which ones I might have missed), but there was no organization for application support information that I was ever exposed to. I was once seeking information on how to support something that was handed to me with no information and the response I received was "seek out the people who already know". This was for custom, in-house developed software support - which isn't documented and since no one else on the planet knows anything about this outside the company, you can't just google it. There is no org chart that shows who those people who already know are, etc. It was a very ineffective way to try to train people. Everything is word of mouth and sneaker net. That is fine on occasion (everyone was very personable), but it does not scale well and is among the slower ways to learn an unfamiliar technology or product. Add in the fact that many of those "people who already know" are gone and things get frustrating quickly. Part of the problems mentioned above were due to over-worked people in an understaffed environment. I was covering four areas which, prior to layoffs and voluntary attrition (what should be an executive's worst nightmare), were four separate teams of people. A cultural problem is the executive promise made outside the understanding of existing work load, which introduces panic and a mad scramble to satisfy an executive commitment which was made on top of other deadlines. There does seem to be a disconnect between how much time people in authority think it should take (perhaps in general) to do something and how much time things take in the context of other work load, priorities, and deadlines. Projects frequently conflict with other projects. Deployments have to be delayed because multiple things were promised by a certain date which cannot both be done for either technical, human resource, or priority reasons. This happened routinely and it showed no signs of stopping.

Advice to Management

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Take the time to establish a well documented application support environment, train your staff accordingly and manage your resources - both human resources and the environment (essentially, direct the documentation of the environment). Solving the documentation problem (the lack of meaningful documentation to train your staff and enable them to support a complex infrastructure) would make many problems go away: - The number of issues that occur in the first place. - The time to resolution of those issues. - The inability to bring new staff up to speed quickly enabling them to support the environment.

Where to begin

I worked at Covisint full-time

Pros

You get a salary and benefits. Great solution/technology (no really ,it is)

Cons

Very few people are approachable. Sr. Management seems to snub anyone who they deem too far down the totem pole or who doesn't fit their ideal. New vision/focus, but without a full message, seems to be a work in progress, which is not the best thing when you set certain expectations. Horribly disorganized from an internal standpoint. Lack of support from management, but a lot of apathy. Ideas accepted by certain people, based on how they "fit in" with this new culture. It annoys me to no end. Numerous meetings, especially same day requests, usually within a couple of hours of the meeting.

Advice to Management

Respect is how you should treat everyone, not just a select few. It's a reflection of your character. If you cannot say hello to a fellow human being, I don't want to work for you.

Honest Assessment

Former Employee - Oracle in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Oracle in Detroit, MI

I worked at Covisint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are few. Many individuals are hard working and invested in the company and its success. Some of the technology is relevant but there are many in this space who have better fundamentals, better product, and better development.

Cons

As a company they are simply untruthful to their employees and their customers. Data security is questionable at best and management is not willing or able to address software issues - go ask ANY of their former healthcare clients - ANY of them. The "partner program" was announced when there were zero criteria for what a "partner" is or what they had to demonstrate to become "certified". There is ZERO chance of success as a "platform" company - the IP will be sold or they will fold. Covisint has been unprofitable since it's inception and will continue to be. The company has ZERO customers who are willing to act as a referral for them when trying to generate new business - ZERO. A dishonest, "fly by the seat of your pants" outfit without the brainpower to execute or work from a global strategic perspective. Shortcuts are taken everywhere (testing, dev, contracts) and the lack of professionalism and consistency across thier ever shrinking portfolio is systemic. Finally, they are being sued for material misrepresentations in their IPO S-1 and if you take a look at what has transpired since the IPO and the fundamentals - I'd be concerned. Very.

Advice to Management

Look at the record of the CEO - Sam Inman. Has led Comarco to a delisting, Centura Software to nowhere, Ingram Micro Inc. - out of business. He has an unblemished track record of failure (not personally as he has made a hefty sum for himself and his cronies - he has brought many of them in to cash out on this latest endevour). He has carved a niche of a career on bringing investor value (as marginal as that might be) as the company he directs all fold and go out of business. What is the play here?

Good Product; Poor Moral

I worked at Covisint full-time

Pros

- Great Location in Downtown Detroit - Remaining Talent is Smart and productive - Management's disconnect leads to more autonomy

Cons

- Poor communication between management and staff / interdepartmental - Poor Strategy and Tactics have led to important staff being let go or leaving without any plan to plug the holes, thus preventing - Cloak and Daggers Work/Life benefits. You can work from home, but the people who use the benefit are the first to go during layoffs, which happen almost like clockwork a few days after each quarter, usually about 1/2 pm on a Tuesday or Wednesday. - Culture is Dead. There was once a very lively spunky fight the system attitude. Opening Day Beer and hot dogs, holiday celebrations. That's all gone now. The people leading that spunkiness were fired. - Work product is less important than who you know and kiss up to.

Advice to Management

A successful company values its resources. People are a resource. There needs to be a better evaluation of people. People are bleeding at a very rapid pace there doesn't seem to be an interest by management to retain them. I turned in my letter of resignation without a conversation.

healthcare

I worked at Covisint full-time

Pros

good people to work with. work/life balance is good but depends on your manager.

Cons

There are some non-manager employees, but most of the company is managers and directors. Do not ever expect a raise, a bonus or a thank you for your hard work. not organized or structured.

It's always greener on the other side

I worked at Covisint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are like family. The building is great with great services (but that is going to change) Great location in downtown (but that is going to change)

Cons

There is no vision of the company, unless that vision is for it to be acquired in a year or two's time. There have been so many layoffs that you don't know exactly what your job function is because you are trying to figure out how to do your job with half the resources Upper management doesn't care about you or about making you successful. It is a very archaic, toxic environment You will not get rewarded for being smart and making suggestions on how to do your job more efficiently. And you definitely will not get rewarded if you want to try to advance your career, you most likely will be shown the door. Upper management is very insecure and feels threatened by anyone smarter than them.

Advice to Management

Retain good employees. Be honest about your intentions for the company If there is a toxic person, get rid of them. It doesn't help you or the company Hire women in management

Wanna-be silicon valley company

I have been working at Covisint

Pros

Good working space, though driving to Downtown now is a torture.

Cons

The company is trying to compete/behave like those start up companies in Silicon Valley, the CEO now is from Cal too. But it lacks both financial and human resources to do so. It cannot provide the employee with comparable compensation and work resources. A typical behavior of this company is that if the top management think you are good or just use you, they will give you a fancy title and put you in charge of everything. After what's their goal is achieved or you are out of use, they just put you aside. Easier to get promoted from Dev side, no hope from operation side. The top management is clearly playing balance and games between business/development house and operation/tech side, including scaring tactics on lower management levels. Some top dogs think everyone under him is kind of idiots .

RSS Feed </> Embed