Cowan Systems

Joe Cowan

Good Four yersa

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can make lot money

Cons

Very stress full place to work

Listten to employes be open to advise

Extreme work loads

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Challenging work and multi tasking experience.

Cons

50 hour work weeks and doing other departments work.

Look at taking some of the workload off the fleet managers and give back to the appropriate departments. Maintenance should be getting trucks moved for repair, Safety should be contacting drivers concerning logbook violations, etc. Each department should be contacting drivers directly instead of asking Fleet Managers to get the information and then relaying back to the said departments. Even working a 10 hour day, we come up short getting everything done and then asked why???

Do not work here

Current Employee - Class A Local Driver in Westfield, MA
    Current Employee - Class A Local Driver in Westfield, MA

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Newer trucks, trailers in good condition

Cons

Early start times, bad runs to NYC, moron dispatchers, drivers treated like crap. Get paid terrible pay for doing the city. Forced Dispatch

start treating drivers better and switch up runs

Your ticket to an early grave.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halethorpe, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Terminal bathrooms were recently moved inside. The foreigner that used your tractor during the night shift is usually thoughtful enough to leave chicken bones and fries all over the floor.

Cons

A thankless and dead end "job". If you yearn to work 10-15 hours a week without compensation this is the company for you! When it comes to robbing, fleecing, ripping off, and flat out stealing from their drivers, Cowan takes a back seat to no one. Before you start driving for Cowan you might want to getting divorced, put your kids up for adoption and take your pets to the shelter. Their dispatchers favorite catch phase is "Look's like you will be using your 16!". I know of one driver that actually retired from Cowan. They prefer that you die over the weekend so they have time to find another chump to cover your low paying load. You are paid PC MILER fraud miles. That cheats you out of $100+ a week in pay. Out of route, detention, breakdown......FREE FREE FREE! Another $100+ a week out of your pocket. One last thing. For my last raise I received a half a cent a mile. Let's say you work a 15.5 hour day. You are expected back in 10 hrs. BECAUSE WE LIKE TO KEEP OUR GUYS MOVING!!!! And you are expected to be well rested and ready to do it all over again. Sign on now and receive a $2000 bonus. Guess what, you won't be there long enough to collect it. They offer benefits but none of the drivers can afford them. The work/life balance is 85% work.

Certainly you can come up with more ways to swindle the drivers.

Cowan Systems Response

Oct 22, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your commitment over the last three years at Cowan Systems. It’s true our drivers work incredibly hard to meet the transportation needs of our clients, especially lately, due to the ... More

My experience at Cowan Systems is excellent!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at Cowan is fantastic! Since it is a family run company you get the feeling of solidarity and openness. Everyone is willing to answer any questions you have and sit down with you to go over what it is that they do on a daily basis. There is an open-door policy so I have been able to talk with different levels of personnel and sit in on different meetings. The working area is very open so it is easy to communicate with those around you. The people in this company are great to work with - they are happy and encouraging. There is a lot to learn from those in the office because many of them have been with the company for decades. It is not a micro-managed environment - I am given my tasks and able to complete them at my pace and in order of importance.

Cons

I have not encountered any Cons working at Cowan.

Excellent Entry Level Logistics Experience

Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cowan is an excellent place to get your feet wet in this industry and the brokerage division is a really solid fit for hard workers getting started in this business. This is not a 9-5 job because the logistics industry is not a 9-5 world that we operate in. If you are willing to put in the work prospecting and developing your own accounts you will be successful here. Yes, at first you do need to make 80-100 sales calls a day; that unfortunately is the only way to develop new clients in this industry. However, once you really get in the groove at about the 6 month mark, that is when you will really start to learn and have fun in this job.

The office environment is second to none here. The junior level managers really watch your back and take care of you and truly want you to succeed; all that they ask is that you put in the hours and the hard work and take care of your clients and the carriers you are working with. This is a fun job and the co-workers in the Baltimore office really look out for each other and keep the atmosphere light.

My biggest advice to those looking into a job in the brokerage division is to really assess your ability to constantly sell. If logistics does not get you excited and you do not have the ability to pick up the phone with confidence then you will be miserable here.

Cons

The negative aspects of the job are really unrelated to Cowan, it has to do with the nature of the industry. This is such a competitive industry and there are very little barriers to entry; there is always another broker or carrier willing to cut their rates to take your clients out from underneath of you. If you are patient and stick to your rates and provide your clients unmatched service, down the line things will always work out in your favor.

Keep doing what you are doing and Cowan's brokerage division will continue to grow. Continue to thoroughly assess new hires to ensure that they will fit in with the culture here and we will continue to be successful.

I have been with Cowan Systems for 7 years.

Current Employee - Director of Driver Human Resources & Recruiting in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every day is a challenge. You are not just a number but treated like family. There is always opportunity to advance and improve.

Cons

There is no such thing as a perfect job but this is still a great place to work.

Stay in touch with the workforce and external factors that will impact employee relations.

Cowan Systems offers a positive environment, training, opportunities for advancement and longevity.

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Cowan Systems company culture dictates a respectful, supportive, and cohesive team environment. The culture is a top-down driven effort, with the executive leadership holding themselves accountable for preserving company values, ensuring compliance, and modeling appropriate behavior. Our corporate office is located in Halethorpe / Baltimore, Maryland, and most corporate employees work a typical Monday – Friday 8 hour day shift. Logistics and brokerage managers value entrepreneurship, and provide careers for those who are enthusiastic, intrinsically motivated, and driven by success. Due to continued growth, Cowan is frequently adding new entry-level Logistics Sales Manager positions. Company offers competitive compensation/ benefits/ PTO. Managers respect work-life balance.

Cons

I've only had positive experiences at Cowan Systems. Our Atlanta office did experience significant change, which is reflected in past comments. Feedback from current Atlanta employees is positive.

Gain experience, make your money, and move on.

I worked at Cowan Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off is usually no problem and the commute to and from home wasn't bad. I was able to identify some things I should work on professionally that will go along with me to my next position.

Cons

The moral is horrible, there really is no leadership structure(i.e. I'm not sure who my supervisor is outside of the President of the company), there is no consistency in regards to rules, regulations, and expectations.

Decide on something and stick to it. Stop changing things every other month. Make goals and expectations clear. Find other ways to motivate employees.

Started from bottom and working up

Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager in Halethorpe, MD
    Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager in Halethorpe, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management trusts you a lot and really only bothers you if they have a question or concern. The Baltimore brokerage managers are nice people and I think they really want you to make money and be successful. Required to do monthly or quarterly business reviews to help give you feedback. They don't micromanage you but if you have a question they answer it quickly and they really have a lot of experience doing the job you are doing which is helpful. My commission checks are getting better every month. They also give bonuses for your high months which is nice and they do gift card giveaways. The other more experienced sales guys are helpful also.

Cons

Tough job but the industry is getting better and opportunities are constant. Hours are 730 to 5 which is long but no where near as long as some other places I looked at. Aside from that not much to say. I really like my job.

I read a lot of the reviews on the Atlanta office. One thing no one mentions in those reviews is that those folks do not work at Cowan any longer and there may be a reason why. Atlanta had a management change a while ago to get the office back on track and some of the people didn't seem to like the change so they left. The people there now seem to be making great numbers though so I wouldn't worry too much about it....everyone hates change.