Cowan Systems

Updated June 24, 2014
Updated June 24, 2014

3.4

Joe Cowan

My experience at Cowan Systems is excellent!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The culture at Cowan is fantastic! Since it is a family run company you get the feeling of solidarity and openness. Everyone is willing to answer any questions you have and sit down with you to go over what it is that they do on a daily basis. There is an open-door policy so I have been able to talk with different levels of personnel and sit in on different meetings. The working area is very open so it is easy to communicate with those around you. The people in this company are great to work with - they are happy and encouraging. There is a lot to learn from those in the office because many of them have been with the company for decades. It is not a micro-managed environment - I am given my tasks and able to complete them at my pace and in order of importance.

Cons

I have not encountered any Cons working at Cowan.

Excellent Entry Level Logistics Experience

Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Cowan is an excellent place to get your feet wet in this industry and the brokerage division is a really solid fit for hard workers getting started in this business. This is not a 9-5 job because the logistics industry is not a 9-5 world that we operate in. If you are willing to put in the work prospecting and developing your own accounts you will be successful here. Yes, at first you do need to make 80-100 sales calls a day; that unfortunately is the only way to develop new clients in this industry. However, once you really get in the groove at about the 6 month mark, that is when you will really start to learn and have fun in this job.

The office environment is second to none here. The junior level managers really watch your back and take care of you and truly want you to succeed; all that they ask is that you put in the hours and the hard work and take care of your clients and the carriers you are working with. This is a fun job and the co-workers in the Baltimore office really look out for each other and keep the atmosphere light.

My biggest advice to those looking into a job in the brokerage division is to really assess your ability to constantly sell. If logistics does not get you excited and you do not have the ability to pick up the phone with confidence then you will be miserable here.

Cons

The negative aspects of the job are really unrelated to Cowan, it has to do with the nature of the industry. This is such a competitive industry and there are very little barriers to entry; there is always another broker or carrier willing to cut their rates to take your clients out from underneath of you. If you are patient and stick to your rates and provide your clients unmatched service, down the line things will always work out in your favor.

Keep doing what you are doing and Cowan's brokerage division will continue to grow. Continue to thoroughly assess new hires to ensure that they will fit in with the culture here and we will continue to be successful.

I have been with Cowan Systems for 7 years.

Current Employee - Director of Driver Human Resources & Recruiting  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Director of Driver Human Resources & Recruiting in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Every day is a challenge. You are not just a number but treated like family. There is always opportunity to advance and improve.

Cons

There is no such thing as a perfect job but this is still a great place to work.

Stay in touch with the workforce and external factors that will impact employee relations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cowan Systems offers a positive environment, training, opportunities for advancement and longevity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Halethorpe, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halethorpe, MD

Pros

The Cowan Systems company culture dictates a respectful, supportive, and cohesive team environment. The culture is a top-down driven effort, with the executive leadership holding themselves accountable for preserving company values, ensuring compliance, and modeling appropriate behavior. Our corporate office is located in Halethorpe / Baltimore, Maryland, and most corporate employees work a typical Monday – Friday 8 hour day shift. Logistics and brokerage managers value entrepreneurship, and provide careers for those who are enthusiastic, intrinsically motivated, and driven by success. Due to continued growth, Cowan is frequently adding new entry-level Logistics Sales Manager positions. Company offers competitive compensation/ benefits/ PTO. Managers respect work-life balance.

Cons

I've only had positive experiences at Cowan Systems. Our Atlanta office did experience significant change, which is reflected in past comments. Feedback from current Atlanta employees is positive.

Gain experience, make your money, and move on.

Pros

Time off is usually no problem and the commute to and from home wasn't bad. I was able to identify some things I should work on professionally that will go along with me to my next position.

Cons

The moral is horrible, there really is no leadership structure(i.e. I'm not sure who my supervisor is outside of the President of the company), there is no consistency in regards to rules, regulations, and expectations.

Decide on something and stick to it. Stop changing things every other month. Make goals and expectations clear. Find other ways to motivate employees.

Started from bottom and working up

Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager  in  Halethorpe, MD
    Current Employee - Logistics Sales Manager in Halethorpe, MD

Pros

Management trusts you a lot and really only bothers you if they have a question or concern. The Baltimore brokerage managers are nice people and I think they really want you to make money and be successful. Required to do monthly or quarterly business reviews to help give you feedback. They don't micromanage you but if you have a question they answer it quickly and they really have a lot of experience doing the job you are doing which is helpful. My commission checks are getting better every month. They also give bonuses for your high months which is nice and they do gift card giveaways. The other more experienced sales guys are helpful also.

Cons

Tough job but the industry is getting better and opportunities are constant. Hours are 730 to 5 which is long but no where near as long as some other places I looked at. Aside from that not much to say. I really like my job.

I read a lot of the reviews on the Atlanta office. One thing no one mentions in those reviews is that those folks do not work at Cowan any longer and there may be a reason why. Atlanta had a management change a while ago to get the office back on track and some of the people didn't seem to like the change so they left. The people there now seem to be making great numbers though so I wouldn't worry too much about it....everyone hates change.

Stepping Stone, Limited Advancement

Former Employee - Logistics Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

A company to just gain entry level experience

Cons

No advancement. Constant compensation structual changes

A dreadful JOB...

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There is always an opening at this company. If you just want a unfulfilling "job" work here. The office is very open, spacious, and empty. Food is provided at times. It's done to discourage employees from taking a break from work. They give you a jacket when you make your 90 days.

Cons

Very high employee turn-over usually because employees quit or realize that there are MUCH better opportunities in this field that include good benefits and pay, no structure, little to no communication, no career advancement, questionable practices when it comes to your earned commission pay out, operationally this company works employees harder not smarter. There is unnecessary pressure placed on employees almost daily. If you want to work here, be numb to volatile outbursts and cursing fits.You won't have much of a life outside of this job, if you want to succeed by their standards. They make you feel guilty for attempting to go home in the afternoons. Its better to call out sick for the day if you need to be somewhere after the 5:00PM hour. This company seems to seek recent college grads who have never worked for a good company and won't no any better. If this is you, keep looking.

Find stable management, find managers that will be involved in daily operations, improve working environment, learn to value employees, learn how to treat employees, offer benefits that include matching 401K contributions and reasonable priced health insurance, implement and enforce structure, resolve issues quickly, actively and openly communicate with employees, create and follow-thru with a real training program for new employees.

Entrepreneurial company for hard working people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The organization is seeing steady growth, and because of this growth, there are a lot of opportunities to advance. In order to make an impact in the company, you must be willing to work hard and put forth the effort. The company is entrepreneurial minded, and is for those who like to take initiative and be rewarded for their hard work.

Cons

It can be challenging at times, but what you put into it is what you get out of it; well worth the reward at the end of the day.

A regrettable mark on my resume

Former Employee - Entry Level Logistics Sales Representative  in  Halethorpe, MD
    Former Employee - Entry Level Logistics Sales Representative in Halethorpe, MD

Pros

Large FTL fleet of lightweight trailers - mainly local throughout Eastern US states from Maine and Florida extending outward to the Mississippi river on their brokerage division. In the brokerage there is mainly a young staff laid back atmosphere who's potion's are filled by young college grads and experienced brokers. Beautiful campus and work cubicles, though parking is sparse.

Cons

Bullying atmosphere - I understand it is sales and it does feel good closing sales, but the way some staff and management present themselves around the office it is fully uncalled for in the work place. Management is also somewhat two-sided they want you to do well, but play games like they are Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Commission and entry-level pay is OK, however internal systems are flawed when looking into potential clients. Limited range of fleet capabilities. As stated above they are primarily located on the East Coast of the US and Canada and though the management attempts to move their company westward through its office in Halethorpe they are instantly turned down on most bids because of their location and the internal capabilities to support transactions through their current brokerage. High turnover in the entry-level sales representative position.

Create a more professional work atmosphere. Currently the brokerage division acts like a group of immature children and the managements lackadaisical attitude is prime example of how the environment is at this establishment.

Worked for Cowan Systems? Contribute to the Community!